To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Tutorial available?

olmanwinter
olmanwinter
Community Member

I had posted some questions and got answers earlier in the week, concerning getting a 1Password membership and updating my version 4 for Windows to 7.

I now have a membership and installed 1Password 7 for Windows, but am uncertain about moving forward. Upon install and sync selection (Dropbox), it prompts me for a password and indicates it will change my files. It doesn’t indicate if it needs my Dropbox, 1Password, or other password. I stopped at that point.

All that being said, is there any sort of a guide or tutorial out there on updating from Windows 4 to 7? I haven’t found it in the forums.

Thanks, Winter Lane

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @olmanwinter,

Thank you for getting in touch! I am sorry for the troubles with the upgrade.

If you want to start using 1Password 7 on your Windows PC, then 1Password account is the right way to go. You can add this account to 1Password 7 and then import your data. Here is how:

1) Follow the steps here to add your account to 1Password 7.

2) Then go to 1Password 7 > 1Password > Import.

3) Select Agile Keychain or OPVault folder option and find your local vault there.

4) Enter the Master Password for that vault, select your Personal vault as the vault your data will be imported into and click Import.

Let me know how it goes. If you bump into new difficulties, we are here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Also, we do have a guide for migrating from 1Password for Windows version 4 to 1Password membership with version 7:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Cheers! :)

• olmanwinter
    olmanwinter
    Community Member

Greg and brenty, thank you very much for your help. This sort of support makes my 1Password membership cost a bargain.

I now have 1Password 7 up and running on my PC. It appears to be functioning well with logins, etc. It shows two vaults.

One, named "Personal", is minimally populated (3 items) and appears to be information from starting my membership. When I try to manage this vault, it opens a browser window to my online 1PW account.

The second vault, named "1Password", is on my PC in this location: C:\Users******\Dropbox\1Password.opvault . It is fully populated with all of my old logins, notes, etc. (179 items).

1. Did all of my old data from my "1Password.legacyagilekeychain" Dropbox folder get transfered to the new "1Password.opvault" Dropbox folder? If so, can I safely delete the agilekeychain folder?

2. When I am on my 1PW.com account, the only vault listed there is the minimally populated "Personal' vault. How do I get the information in my fully-populated "1Password" vault? Is it as easy as clicking the "+ New Vault" button on the welcome page?

3. I am also running 1PW on iOS and Mac devices, though I need to update the Mac from 1PW6 to 7. Once the vault issue is rectified to the 1PW.com account, do I just point those devices to sync with that? Or do they need to point to the Dropbox vaults on each device?

I have tried to research all of these issues, but come just short of coming up with my exact conditions. Please believe me when I tell you that contacting you hasn't been my first option.

Best regards, Winter

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@olmanwinter

Did all of my old data from my "1Password.legacyagilekeychain" Dropbox folder get transfered to the new "1Password.opvault" Dropbox folder?

Yes.

If so, can I safely delete the agilekeychain folder?

Yes.

When I am on my 1PW.com account, the only vault listed there is the minimally populated "Personal' vault. How do I get the information in my fully-populated "1Password" vault? Is it as easy as clicking the "+ New Vault" button on the welcome page?

No. In 1Password 7 for Windows, use these instructions to move your data from the standalone "1Password" vault into your new 1password.com account's vault. That way, you'll have that data on any device you use 1Password on, just by signing into your account. No more sync worries/setup hassles.

Once the vault issue is rectified to the 1PW.com account, do I just point those devices to sync with that?

Yup. :)

I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for in our documentation, but no worries about contacting us; that's what we're here for!

• olmanwinter
    olmanwinter
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Wow, a team effort, and fast too! Thank you for your answers and tips. I will get started on that right away. Thank you for your assistance.

Winter

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@olmanwinter - you're quite welcome. Oh, and also? Once you've migrated all the data from the standalone "1Password" vault into your account, you can (and probably should, to avoid confusion) remove the OPVault as well. You won't need it going forward because your data is incrementally backed up on the 1password.com servers and you always have a local cache on any device you use a 1Password app on. You can keep the OPVault if you like...but it's not necessary and will contain an increasingly old copy of what your data looked like. Your call. :)

• olmanwinter
    olmanwinter
    Community Member

Lars, you have made this so easy, I am going to lean on you some more. :blush:

Your advise in the last post is good. I like to keep my files and folders cleaned up, but always err on the side of safety. Your confirmation of that safety is appreciated.

I am currently running 1PW7 on my iOS device, though not the Pro version. Would it be just as easy to uninstall the current app and start over, pointing to the newest vault upon installation?

Similarly, I need to update my Mac from 1PW6 to 7. Would that plan work on it as well?

Many thanks, Winter

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@olmanwinter - glad to help. :) In regard to 1Password for iOS, there's no such thing officially as a "Pro version." There IS a set of Pro features that can be unlocked with a $9.99 in-app purchase...but these are the same feature-set that come included with every 1password.com account...so now that you have an account, you'll have these features at no additional charge. You can either delete 1Password for iOS and reinstall (then just sign into your account), or you can use these instructions to add the account and remove the Primary vault without deleting. Your choice.

On your Mac, if you've not yet taken the time to upgrade from version 6 to version 7, then yes. Do these steps:

1. Lock 1Password 6 for Mac.
    2. Click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data (WARNING: this will do what it says: delete all your 1Password data, so make sure you don't have anything you haven't transferred into your account still remaining in 1Password 6 for Mac when you do this, or it will be lost).
    3. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    4. Delete the 1Password 6 for Mac app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.
    5. Visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the current version of 1Password 7 for Mac and run the installer.
    6. On first-run, sign into your 1password.com account, and you'll be all set!

Let us know if you run into any troubles or have additional questions. :)

• olmanwinter
    olmanwinter
    Community Member

Many thanks to Greg, brenty and Lars for your assistance. I have had all three of my devices up and running with 1Password and it is working great. The update to the newer versions is a real plus. Your customer service can't be beat!

Best regards,

Winter Lane

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of all of us, you are most welcome; and thank you for your kind words and support! We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers, so while it sounds like you should be all set for now, don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you. :chuffed:

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

I'm looking for the same thing - a manual or tutorial. I just downloaded the 30 day trial of 1password. It put a file in the download folder - 1passwordsetup - 7.3.657.exe. I double clicked it and it appeared to install a shortcut to a box to start my trial. I had already set that up when I downloaded with all the associated username, master password and secret key, etc. I do not know where to add my passwords to my application. It seems to keep giving prompts to get apps for other devices. Just using it on a Win10 new laptop and thought it was a stand alone password manager but every time it opens an online presence instead. Is this 1password only used online?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @drako! Thanks for giving 1Password a spin. We don't have a tutorial here on the forum, but I'd recommend the Get Started guide, which contains links to the various 1Password apps for different platforms. The best way to use 1Password is with a 1password.com account for multiple reasons. Give those a read and let us know if you have any questions or difficulties. :)

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

Thanks for the links Lars. I'm having zero luck getting the 1password to even ask me to save a password when using my browser (FF latest version). I'll start another thread because this is getting OT from the OP.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@drako - did you install the 1Password extension for Firefox? If not, you'll need to do that. You can get it from our downloads page. You may also have to restart Firefox once you install it, but it should work from there.

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

I get the unable to connect notice even though network connections are working.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@drako - would you mind taking a screenshot of the error message you’re seeing? It sounds as if you may have antivirus or network filtering software on your Mac or PC which is blocking localhost connections, but it's a bit hard to tell from just your description.

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

It' more complicated than the 3 screen shots show. And yes, most recent version of Kaspersky Total Security. Never had issues with it b4 stopping a download unless it came with a note of suspicious behavior or problems. Looks to me like FF is stopping it because I get a little drop-down box that says "
    Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on this computer".

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

It' more complicated than the 3 screen shots show. And yes, most recent version of Kaspersky Total Security. Never had issues with it b4 stopping a download unless it came with a note of suspicious behavior or problems. Looks to me like FF is stopping it because I get a little drop-down box that says "
    Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on this computer

I cannot upload files in this category so try this... although they may not be in the order I intended.
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/VMc1SzO.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/R27CVB6.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/HUCjVwX.jpg[/img]

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on this computer

I cannot upload files in this category so try this... although they may not be in the order I intended.
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/VMc1SzO.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/R27CVB6.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/HUCjVwX.jpg[/img]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@drako - yep, that's going to be either a Firefox or other installed internet security software issue. The Firefox extension is certainly available, and I just checked that it installs fine. You might try restarting your Mac with all of the extensions turned off, then try opening FF and installing the 1Password extension again.

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

I had already tried starting FF in test mode which I keep as a desktop link - no add-ons or plug-ins so no Kaspersky. Content blocking is not being activated on any of the 1password pages. I do not know if the Mozilla forum might have some suggestions. I suppose I'm just SOL on 1password at this time. The pc is a new Dell XPS15 running W10pro64 w/32gigs of RAM. Thanks again for the assist. I may check back in if I ever figure out how to tell 1password actually manage a password.

• drako
    drako
    Community Member

I think I managed to download the file using a different computer and IE11. Is the name of the file 1Password-4.7.3.90.xpi?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drako,

Yes, that's the correct extension :) This tutorial also shows you how you can now install the extension in Firefox even if you downloaded it from another browser.

Please keep us posted!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@drako Do you still need help installing the 1Password extension in Firefox still? I use Firefox exclusively on all my personal devices, will be happy to help if you need assistance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the offer @Tomatoshadow2 :)

This discussion has been closed.