Bug Russian Localization

Artem4ik
Artem4ik
Community Member

In this topic I will share the problems I have found related to localization into Russian.

First problem:

String in Crowdin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Artem4ik: Thank you! But can you clarify? What is the problem, and what solution are you suggesting?

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@brenty In Russian, the Wireless Router (Беспроводной маршрутизатор) does not completely fit and therefore we see (Беспроводной маршрутизат...)
    Do you think it is beautiful? :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Artem4ik: We can't very well make that fit in the allotted space though it looks like, and I'm not sure it's feasible to redesign the UI for one language. But if you have another suggestion that will fit better, please let us know. :)

However, what are your iOS display settings? Do you maybe have the text size turned up, where lowering it might help?

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

@brenty Default display settings

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Thanks @Artem4ik. I'll check with the development team to see what they think on this. :)

Ben

ref: apple-3474

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

Second problem:

String in Crowdin

• Thanks @Artem4ik. I've added that to the issue I filed for the development team.

Ben

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Languages differ in the amount of horizontal space it takes to say the same thing. But it is also the case that translations tend to be longer than the original, so that will add to the challenge. From days long past there was the saying that translations could be beautiful or faithful, but rarely both.

But I believe that we do look for brevity in these where possible, but the challenge is difficult.

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

Please allow notifications to be translated.

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

MacOS
    1Password 7.2.6

Green - These lines are missing in Crowdin
    Red - need to increase the size of the window
    Yellow - part of the word is not visible because of the Jedi

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

MacOS
    1Password 7.2.6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Please allow notifications to be translated.

@Artem4ik: I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?

As for the rest, unfortunately the screenshot is only helpful as far as the context. If you'll give me the text I'm searching for and the text you're proposing we replace it with, I can find the string and submit it for you (though I thought you were viewing CrowdIn yourself). I have no idea how to even type that. Sorry. :lol:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@brenty

I'm bumping this thread because I'm seeing the same issue as Artem4ik, in my case Swedish and not Russian though. The notification that shows when a OTP is being copied to the clipboard is in English, although my system and app language is Swedish, and the strings are translated and approved years ago on Crowdin.

Here's a screenshot where I have used 1Password (version 7.3.2) to fill a login on EA Origin. The notification appears as expected but it's not translated.

• Thanks @Xe997. I'll file an issue with development to have them check if we're taking the localization into account for notifications.

Ben

ref: apple-3863

• Hi folks,

It appears our development team has located the issue and we hope to have the OTP notification localized soon.

Ben

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member

"Pick a different location"

The phrase was translated 3 years ago and approved.
    https://crowdin.com/translate/1password-for-ios-and-osx/23286/en-ru#5504657

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019

@Artem4ik

Could you please explain for me how you're getting that screen? This is what I see when I select the option for iCloud from the welcome screen:

Disregard. I was able to find the screen. Mine actually looks different from yours, using the latest internal builds. It does still look like "pick a different location" isn't translated though. I'll follow up with the team in the morning. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.