Will 1Password 6 work on my iMac with Mojave?

Options
bkatz
bkatz
Community Member

I'm about to download Mojave onto my iMac. I'm currently using 1Password 6 on Sierra 10.12.6. (I've already confirmed compatibility.) Will the extension still work or will I have to upgrade to a subscription? If so, should I do so before downloading? And finally, should I be aware ahead of time of any problems?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade to Mojave on Imac

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bkatz

We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. That said, 1Password 6 should work on Mojave without much if any difficulty for the moment. 1Password 6 is retired now though, and will not be updated further, if changes to the operating system or web browsers make it incompatible.

I'd highly recommend considering an upgrade to 1Password 7 and a 1Password membership. You can read about the benefits of doing so here:

About 1Password membership

and you can read about how to accomplish it here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Justmefortwo
    Justmefortwo
    Community Member
    Options

bkatz,

If it's any help to you, I'm currently running 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store on macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3. I haven't had any issues.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @Justmefortwo!

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member
    Options

@Justmefortwo,

I'm using 6.8.9. It's working fine but I understand it isn't (or won't be) being fully supported by 1P.

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member
    Options

Ben or ag-ana or... I do want to uprade to 7. Do I have to go through the "free trial" -- which is fine, I suppose -- or can I go straight through? Is there a clear path? Most importantly, will my passwords, notes, etc., automatically migrate?

• Ben
    Options

You do automatically get a 30-day free trial (which is fully functional) before you're billed. You really shouldn't notice any difference in the functioning of the app(s) during that period. The first thing to do would be to install 1Password 7 for Mac (and delete 1Password 6 for Mac by dragging it to the trash -- do not use any "cleaner" apps):

Download for Mac

Once installed I'd recommend signing up for 1Password membership in a web browser. You can find the link to do that here. As part of the account creation process you'll be prompted to download / print your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I would highly recommend printing this document, writing in your chosen Master Password, and once completed store it someplace safe (e.g. a fire safe or bank deposit box). Once you've got your account set up sign into it in 1Password 7 for Mac and migrate your data following these instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to download 7 onto my iMac but I'm running into a wall. (Sounds painful, I know.) The installer says I have to quit the app. he regular program quits no problem but the mini extension won't quit when I hit "quit all". The other thing is, the website won't let me sign in anymore. It's not recognizing my email address. Suggestions?

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting: I could sign in through the Post Comment button but not from the website itself. Is that meaningful in some way?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkatz - if both 1Password 6 for Mac processes are listed in the window of things you need to quit, make sure you hit the "Quit All" button for each one. Alternatively, you can quit the installer itself, then Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then re-launch the installer, and you won't have that problem.

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, thanks. I'll try option 2 in your suggestions. The 'quit all' button ignored the extension. Alternatively, I could simoply remove the extension, finish the install, then re-download the extension.

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know about that. Please do let us know how it turns out with the alternative suggestion.

Ben

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member
    Options

I had to go through the activity monitor but in the end I finally got everything to work. Mojave is a fine upgrade but man, is it creating hassles with apps. Thanks, Ben (and -- again -- Jessy at Agile!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @bkatz! I am happy to hear everything is working fine now :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.