Using the CLI app [requires 1Password membership]

This discussion was created from comments split from: New Product Request: 1Password for Linux.

Comments

• mattlindn
    mattlindn
    Community Member

How can I make the Linux CLI app work with Dropbox-based 1Password. I don't want to host my files on your system.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mattlindn! Welcome to the forum!

The CLI only works with 1Password Membership accounts. You are free to choose where to host your data, but if you host it with us, you get access to additional features (such as 1Password X and the CLI), so I recommend considering a Membership if you want to use all the tools we have developed.

• mattlindn
    mattlindn
    Community Member

I have 1Password 6 and I'd like to make it work with that. How do I manage that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mattlindn The version of 1Password is not very important, it's rather the fact of whether you use a 1Password Membership or not that allows you to use the CLI program. As long as your 1Password app is at least on version 6.6, you will be able to use a 1Password Membership.

If you are looking for some steps, here is what the process looks like: first, you can create an account, and then you can add it to the 1Password app and move your existing data inside it.

Now you can use the CLI program to manage your 1Password data as it is now store inside your 1Password account.

• mattlindn
    mattlindn
    Community Member

Thank you for the instructions. I will try that. Does moving the data into the account make the passwords somehow accessible by 1Password staff, for example in the case of government action or malicious insider or illicit network entry by an attacker?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mattlindn

Does moving the data into the account make the passwords somehow accessible by 1Password staff

No, we don't have access to your unencrypted data. Your data is encrypted end-to-end with your Secret Key and Master Password (which also means that your data is protected by stronger encryption than when it is stored on Dropbox). Both of these are only known by you, and they are never transmitted to us. All we have is the encrypted blob, which is useless without the Secret Key and the Master Password.

Indeed, we built 1Password this way exactly to protect you in those scenarios: if we don't have access to your data, nobody else does either.

I hope this helps!

• @mattlindn

In addition to what Ana said you may be interested in this page:

Password manager - for law enforcement | 1Password

We never have access to your unencrypted 1Password data or the keys to decrypt it. What we don't have can't be used by us maliciously, court ordered to be turned over, or stolen from us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.