Adding family members to a shared vault

jcorroon
jcorroon
Community Member

I cannot successfuly add family members to a shared vault.

I have signed up for the Family plan. I have invited family members to access the shared vault. They have followed the instructions in the email. I have confirmed them via a subsuquent email. They have downloaded the app and created an account, yet there is no shared vault. Only a Demo vault.

I can't find adequate instructions elswhere. Is there a step by step guide for the family member, not the one setting up the account and vault?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jcorroon

They have downloaded the app and created an account, yet there is no shared vault. Only a Demo vault.

Do you mean they've signed up for a separate 1Password membership in the app? If so that would be the issue. They need to sign into the account that is part of your 1Password Families membership (which they created when they followed the instructions in the invitation email).

Ben

• jcorroon
    jcorroon
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Thanks for your help!

Are they "creating" an account or signing into one?

It is not clear to me, or them, if they are signing up for a 1Password account or just joining a family account. Among other things, they are asked for a unique password, which suggests they are creating an account. The process is confusing, especially if your family member is not technologically savvy and you are helping them over the phone.

There must be a step-by-step guide that shows individual family members all the screens they will encounter after receiving the invitation email. If not, there really should be, it's confusing.

• If they've already accepted the invitation then they've already created an account within your membership and they need to sign into that in the app. In accepting the invitation they're taken through the account creation process where they pick a Master Password, are given their Emergency Kit, etc. You can confirm in your admin panel at https://my.1password.com/people <-- are they listed as "active" there? If so they've created an account within your membership.

It sounds like they created an account within your membership, downloaded the app, and then signed up for their own membership (a 2nd account). They should delete that 2nd account, once they get signed into the one that is a part of your membership:

How to delete your 1Password account

Ben

• jcorroon
    jcorroon
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Thanks. We're making some progress here.

One of the individuals is listed as "Active", yet they do not see the shared vault. Only a Demo vault. Does the vault need to be added somehow?

Also, what is the correct response for this step (See attachment)? Is the family member "New to 1Password" or "Already using 1Password"?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@jcorroon

One of the individuals is listed as "Active", yet they do not see the shared vault. Only a Demo vault. Does the vault need to be added somehow?

Have they added their 1Password account to their 1Password app already? If they created the account, and they show as Active but still haven't logged in, this would explain why they are not seeing the Shared vault.

Also, what is the correct response for this step (See attachment)? Is the family member "New to 1Password" or "Already using 1Password"?

As Ben mentioned in his previous reply, if they created an account already, they need to choose "Already using 1Password". If they haven't created a 1Password account yet, they need to choose New to 1Password instead. In your case, if they all show as Active in the dashboard, they will have to use the Already using 1Password option.

I hope this helps!

• Yep, just to be clear, since they've already accepted the invitation and have an active account the correct option is "already using 1Password." :) "New to 1Password" is the option for creating a new membership -- which isn't something anyone would ever pick for joining an existing 1Password Families membership (notably your 1Password Families membership).

Sorry that isn't more clear. We'll have to do some further brainstorming about how to best point folks in the right direction here.

Ben

• KeithWeyer
    KeithWeyer
    Community Member

If I switch to a family membership and invite family members to join, I understand that they will then create their own master password to log in. Will they be logging into their own vault within the family account, or are they logging into a shared vault? I am thinking each would want to have privacy in that they would want to have financial user / passwords that only they can see. How do they do that, or is there both, i.e. there can be a shared vault for shared logins, and also their own vault for financial stuff, etc?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Hi @KeithWeyer

If I switch to a family membership and invite family members to join, I understand that they will then create their own master password to log in. Will they be logging into their own vault within the family account, or are they logging into a shared vault?

People don't log into vaults. They log into an account. An account can have access to one or more vaults. By default an account in a 1Password Families membership will have access to:

1. It's own Private vault (which no one else can access; may alternatively be called "Personal" depending on when your membership was established)
    2. The built-in "Shared" vault (which by default everyone has read & write access to)

I am thinking each would want to have privacy in that they would want to have financial user / passwords that only they can see. How do they do that, or is there both, i.e. there can be a shared vault for shared logins, and also their own vault for financial stuff, etc?

For items the person does not want to share with anyone they should save those items in their Private/Personal vault, which only they will have access to. For sharing the built-in Shared vault can be used, or other vaults can be established that are shared with one or more family members.

Create and share vaults

Does that help?

Ben

• KeithWeyer
    KeithWeyer
    Community Member

Can my wife create her own private vault within our present (non-family) membership, in which she can store work related logins that only she has access to, or would she need her own account within a family membership to create a private vault?

• @KeithWeyer

She would need her own separate account within a 1Password Families membership to have a separate Private vault. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.