Suggestion: Credit card tracking feature

Options
dcblack56
dcblack56
Community Member

I have an idea for a new feature: Credit card tracking

How about the option when using a credit card to have the web domain where I used the credit card remembered? It might be an optional feature (not everybody may be thrilled with this idea). If I turned on this new feature, then everytime I use 1Password to fill-in my credit card details on a web browser, the base domain name and date could be saved in a list associated with that card.

Why would I want this feature?
1. My credit card is compromised and I have the account number changed -- using 1PW I can easily find all the sites where I setup recurring purchases and update my account number
2. My credit card is compromised and I want to review all the places where I used it to help consider where it might have leaked
3. I decide to cancel my services and simply want to track down all those recurring sites where I might have a bill

This save feature could be invoked in one of two ways: 1. a new option "fill and record" or 2. a dialog might popup asking if this is a transaction I want saved.

Optional: Could even record the frequency of expected billing ( 1 time, monthly, annually )

Of course this would mean I would need a way to view the list. The list for a single card should contain no more than 2-3 bits of information:
1. The base domain or possibly URL where used
2. The frequency if applicable
3. The date of last transaction of this type

I am not suggesting this as an account reconciliation tool or other accounting option, which is clearly beyond the purvue of 1PW.

1Password Version: 7.3b6
Extension Version: 7.3b6
OS Version: OSX 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1PW family
Referrer: forum-search:credit card tracking

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's an interesting idea. It's not something 1Password is designed to do, as our focus is on making the best password manager we can. And I'm not sure where 1Password would get all of that information. Certainly it's not something we want to be involved with: tracking people's shopping, or interfacing with something that does. Most banks offer tools for viewing transaction history with both bank accounts and credit cards, and there are a lot of apps out there that are created specifically to do aggregate that kind of information. So it's not something we have plans to do ourselves. As they say, there's an app for that. ;)

But 1Password is pretty flexible and you can do some things that can help with this sort of thing. For example, I tag items in 1Password with the names of credit cards I use for those sites (Logins), memberships, etc. I haven't had the occasion to have a credit card compromised in the way you're describing (the bank flagged it after a single charge), but it helps me a lot when I get a new card, to update anything using the old number, etc. Tags are really powerful and flexible, so you can do something like this or something different. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.