To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Please change the login behaviour to choose a region first

Dfects
Dfects
Community Member

Pretty much every time i've had to login on a new device/browser I fill in all my information, try and login only to have it fail because the right region isn't chosen. Then, when I do change region it wipes the entire form. On new devices, I don't have the secret in my clipboard so I have to type the whole thing again... it's a really frustrating experience.

I've been trying out a few different linux distros recently, and this simple change of asking the region above the sign in address would of saved me a lot of frustration. It caught me out again today when signing into firefox for the first time.

I get that you could dismiss this as user error, and it is to some extent but its caused by a bad UX decision for your customers outside of the US. I can't be the only one to experience this, and I know i'm not as quite a few people at my work have had the same thing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@Dfects What is the sign-in address you are using? I type the url of my families account and always get to the right 1Password.eu region. Same goes for my.1password.eu for single user accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

1Password.eu and 1Password.ca are entirely opt-in, so the general idea is that you'd know which site you signed up at, because you would have needed to have done so explicitly.

Anyway, I'm not clear on what you're doing exactly, but that's exactly what I get when visiting my.1password.com or start.1password.com (which redirects there) in a new browser:

If you've already signed into an account in that browser, it will remember that, but you can always click "sign into another account" at the bottom to get this page.

• Dfects
    Dfects
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

I was clicking sign in from the extension in my browser, so I had no choice. Thats why I find it so frustrating, I didn't type anything in.

We use 1Password for business, I just asked my office and all but one said they'd had this problem (thats 7 people in this room alone)

Just to make it clear, all I'm asking is for the region choice to be before the first login box to save having to type all my details again if I don't notice the tiny little region box at the bottom thats even below the sign in button. Or maybe, default to EU if i'm in the EU

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I was clicking sign in from the extension in my browser, so I had no choice. Thats why I find it so frustrating, I didn't type anything in.

Thanks for clarifying! :)

We use 1Password for business, I just asked my office and all but one said they'd had this problem (thats 7 people in this room alone)

if you're all part of the same 1Password.eu membership, that makes sense.

Just to make it clear, all I'm asking is for the region choice to be before the first login box to save having to type all my details again if I don't notice the tiny little region box at the bottom thats even below the sign in button.

It's something we can consider, but the vast majority of our customer use 1Password.com, and having everyone else need to go through an extra step is asking a lot -- less of us and more of other 1Password users.

Or maybe, default to EU if i'm in the EU

It's a cool idea, but that brings with it the problem of people getting the wrong login page based on their IP, which is not a reliable way of determining location, especially when people use VPNs. And again, many people in Europe are using 1Password.com anyway.

We'll continue to evaluate this along with everyone else's feedback, but for now, once you sign in the first time successfully, it should remember and allow you to get where you need to be faster (provided you're not resetting the browser or something). Be sure to let us know if you encounter any issues with that though!

• Dfects
    Dfects
    Community Member

It did cause me a bit of pain this morning. I have a personal and a work account. I signed into my personal account in the EU region, remembering to select the region first... then I went to add a second account from the settings page, which took me to the US site when both my personal and work accounts are on the EU region which caused me to have to essentially login twice as I forgot to change the drop down first.

I'm not really asking for an extra step, just basically to move that drop down box above the email address field with US selected by default. I think most users work top down when filling in forms... i know I do, so having something that you're required to do first (if you need to) at the bottom just seems like a UX oversight.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thanks for the additional details. We'll see what makes sense in the context of all 1Password users as we continue to iterate on the design. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.