1PasswordX and my.1password.com, not syncing!

edited April 4 in 1Password X

Hey, 1Pass community.

I have a problem. I opened 1Pass through my.1password.com and made various updates and changes to several items, but when I go ahead and open those sites I updated and try to fill the info through 1PasswordX, these updates don't show up. I tried Reloading (through Developer Tools > Reload), but had no luck.

Can you help me?

1Password Version: 7 something
Extension Version: 1.14.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• Hello @arturoaubry,

Depending on how consistently you're experiencing this I wonder if you might help us with a few details.

1. Do you have 2FA enabled on your 1Password account?
    2. Does the issue persist if you restart the browser? If it isn't present immediately, does the issue return after a period of time?
    3. Could we trouble you for the console logs after the issue next happens, it may be they reveal something. Our support page Save a console log for 1Password in your browser will help with the steps.

That behaviour is definitely not what we want you to experience and I can only hope we can identify why you're suffering this.

• Hey, @littlebobbytables.

I'll be more than glad to answer your questions:

Yes, I do.

1. Does the issue persist if you restart the browser? If it isn't present immediately, does the issue return after a period of time?

I first noticed this problem yesterday, I've restarted my browser a couple of times since, and the problem persists.

1. Could we trouble you for the console logs after the issue next happens, it may be they reveal something. Our support page Save a console log for 1Password in your browser will help with the steps.

Yes, of course. I tried to attach it but says the file format is not allowed, so I'm uploading it to Google Drive. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YEspcuTvSW3VTytxFWoCRHckRPqcCjKMZRmYl2fpBKs

Hopefully, we'll be able to find out what's going on and fix it. Thanks in advance!

• Hey, @littlebobbytables.

Thanks for responding. I'll be more than glad to answer your questions:

Yes, I do.

1. Does the issue persist if you restart the browser? If it isn't present immediately, does the issue return after a period of time?

I first noticed this issue yesterday, and I've restarted my browser a couple of times since. However, the problem persists.

1. Could we trouble you for the console logs after the issue next happens, it may be they reveal something. Our support page Save a console log for 1Password in your browser will help with the steps.

Yes, of course. I tried to upload it here, but it says the file format isn't supported, so I'm uploading it to Google Drive. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YEspcuTvSW3VTytxFWoCRHckRPqcCjKMZRmYl2fpBKs

Hopefully, we'll be able to find out what's going on and fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

• ceceliacecelia

Team Member

Hey @arturoaubry - Thanks for sending over all this information. This reminds me of something we encountered a while back where changes to a 1Password account (like a changed Secret Key, for example) required re-authentication of that account in 1Password X and not re-authenticating was yielding something similar to what you're seeing. Our solution was to start sending a 1Password X re-auth notification banner. I'm wondering if you received any notifications to sign back into your 1Password account.

Before we started sending the prompt to sign back in to your account, the solution was to remove and re-add the account from 1Password X. If you're up for it, can you try that and see if that sorts things out?

• Click the 1Password X icon in your browser's toolbar.
    • Click the "Settings" gear in the top right of the extension, then click "Settings." Here you can remove and add your account. (Please make sure you have your Emergency Kit handy before removing your account)
  • Hey, @cecelia.

Yes! That worked, thank you very much. It was very annoying having to go to my.1password.com. You should fix that, though, as there's no indication whatsoever that's the problem. If you need any help, let me know, and I'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks again :chuffed:

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@arturoaubry: Certainly it's something we'll look into, but it's difficult to know what we're trying to improve without more details. Did you receive the notification, as Cecelia asked? To be clear, it can't tell you specifically why the authentication failed. It doesn't know, and can't because of how 1Password's security works. Even if we didn't things differently (we're not going to, because the alternatives are less secure), we wouldn't want to be leaking information to an attacker telling them what exactly what the cause of the failure, since that would help them focus their efforts.

• edited April 10

Hey, @brenty.

Thanks for taking the time of replying. To answer your question, no, I didn't receive any notification. Actually, I was still able to access all of my items through 1Password X (so I assume everything was fine) but it stopped syncing any changes I made through my.1password.com.

And 1Pass X didn't require me to enter my 6-digit code nor it didn't show any signs of needing any additional change/info, that was the confusion.

So, in essence, it's not that it couldn't tell me specifically why the authentication failed, but that it didn't even ask me to re-authenticate, even though it was needed to be able to sync all my items again.

Hopefully, I was able to clear things up. Of course, if you need anything else, please let me know!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

No, that's perfect. Thanks for clarifying! We'll keep an eye out. :) :+1:

We've made a lot of improvements in the beta, and if you're generally interested in seeing the new stuff first and providing feedback, we'd love to have you:

How to install 1Password X beta in Chrome

Either way, thanks for your feedback on this! :chuffed:

• Thank you, @brenty.

I'll definitely check out the Beta. Have an excellent week!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Great! You too! :chuffed:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file