change the master password for one vault in a family plan w PC user

greenday
greenday
Community Member

I am the family organizer, and I use a Mac. I set up a vault for my father a while back for his passwords. This is not the private vault option; this is a vault that I have read/write access to, at his request. He is a PC user, and he has the PC application on his Windows desktop machine. He would like to change his master password because he is afraid the master password is compromised.

On my Mac, the change can be made under the Accounts tab of Preferences. Is it the same for the PC? Or... do I have to change the password for him at the 1P website, since I am the family manager, and this shared vault is under my management? I don't have a PC, and further, I have to help my dad via screen share, so I'm not there with him to dig around in the PC app to figure out how it works.

Sorry if this is basic. I find the Family plan pretty confusing. Awesome, but confusing :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:change the master password for one vault in a family plan

Comments

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@greenday

1. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    3. Click Change Master Password.

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

Just to clarify, it isn't possible to set Master Passwords for different vaults within 1Password membership, as the Master Password of the account itself is used to access everything in the account. But if you just need to change the Master Password for your account, that's the way to do it: from your account's Profile page:

https://start.1password.com/profile

Cheers! :chuffed:

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

I'm confused, so I probably didn't explain myself very well. I have a master password, and it enables me to access my own vault as well as the vault of my father. But he has his own password to his vault, and he uses that password access it. His pw definitely different from my own master password. I don't want to change my own master password. I want to figure out how to help my father change his password to his vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@greenday - now I'm confused. Did you invite your father as a guest to the account? You say this isn't a "private vault option," but there are only two ways to grant other people access to anything within 1Password.com accounts - as regular members (who would indeed get their own Private vault, as well as their own Master Password to secure it), or as guests, which would give them access to only a single vault of your choosing. Is that what you did? If you can't remember, you can sign into your own account in a browser at https://start.1password.com/signin and click the "People" link in the right sidebar. You'll see a list of all family members, and any you invited as guests will be indicated as such, like this:

Let me know if that's not what you saw or what you're referring to. :)

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for helping me out. My father is not listed as a guest in my family account. So that would make him a regular member. I'm trying to help him change his master password. Since he's working on a PC and I'm on a Mac, I just wanted to see if the steps to change his master password are similar to the ones I would take on the Mac (Preferences/Accounts).

I have to guide him on how to make this change remotely via screen share. He finds 1P very frustrating, and if I spend a lot of time making him click around to make this change (because I'm trying to figure it out on the fly), he'll get more frustrated and refuse to use 1P. That's what happens when we get old and cranky :) Thanks for any thoughts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@greenday: Thanks for clarifying! If he's using only his 1Password membership account in 1Password for Windows and has all his data there, it's just a few short steps:

1. Sign in to his account on 1Password.com in a web browser
    2. Click his name in the top right and choose My Profile
    3. Click Change Master Password
    4. Open 1Password for Windows
    5. Unlock with the "old" Master Password, since the app hasn't sync'd yet
    6. After unlocking, sign in from the prompt to reauthenticate, since account credentials have changed

Let me know how it goes! :)

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Sorry for the long delay. I'm back to trying to help out my dad. Brenty, at first I was confused by your instructions, not understanding my dad would have his own account, since I thought under the Family plan he was subsumed under my account somehow. As I said, I find 1P Family very confusing, and he's even worse off than me.

What would be helpful is a manual for Family to help give me the big picture. I see some piecemeal articles under Support for Family, but that's all "how to" advice, when what I want is an explanation of how Family accounts, vaults, etc relate to each other. Ideally something with graphics. Does something like that exist?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Hi @greenday

I'm not sure what you're asking for exists. It may help to visualize it like this, though:

The membership is the biggest container. It holds all of the accounts and all of the vaults for you and your family. Each person within the membership should have their own account (which means they will have their own unique email address, Secret Key, and Master Password). Also within the membership are vaults. There are two types of vaults: private, and shared. Each account only ever has access to one private vault... their own. Accounts can have access to one or more shared vault, though. A shared vault is accessible to one or more people. Family Organizers will always have the ability to gain access to any shared vaults. Vaults contain 1Password items, such as Logins, Credit Cards, Secure Notes, etc.

Does that help make it any clearer?

Ben

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Slowly getting clearer. Thanks Ben for the big picture explanation. I think it would look something like this:

My aha moment: Master passwords give account access, not vault access per se. So the incorrect wording of my questions confused you ("I want to figure out how to help my father change his password to his vault.") I should have said, "I want to figure out how to help my father change his master password [which gives him access to the vault I created for him and share with him, as well as to any other vaults I might create in the future and share with him]."

At any rate, I was finally able to log into my father's account via web browser and change his master password. I logged out, and logged in again with the new master password no problem.

The bad news is that his new password does not open the Windows version of 1Password on his machine. The old password is still needed to open 1P. We gave it about 3 minutes for the account change to take place, but either we didn't wait long enough, or there is a change that needs to be made in the app itself.

Any thoughts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @greenday,

The bad news is that his new password does not open the Windows version of 1Password on his machine. The old password is still needed to open 1P. We gave it about 3 minutes for the account change to take place, but either we didn't wait long enough, or there is a change that needs to be made in the app itself.

After unlocking the Windows app with the old Master Password, did you get a prompt to authenticate to the 1Password account with the new credentials?

• I think it would look something like this

That's a good start. :)

After unlocking the Windows app with the old Master Password, did you get a prompt to authenticate to the 1Password account with the new credentials?

In addition to checking that I'd also recommend checking if a "Primary" vault or other non-membership vault exists in the app. If any standalone vaults are there the app will unlock with the Master Password of the first added standalone vault (typically "Primary").

Ben

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Not sure about the terms "non-membership vault" and Primary vault.

I have given my father access to two vaults. One is a vault I created and share with him. He puts his logins into this vault.
    The other is a vault I created for his employee who has guest access. He and I also have access to this employee's vault.
    That's all my father has access to. He does not use the private vault that each account gets.

Are any of those Primary or non-membership vaults?

My father didn't mention a seeing prompt after opening with his old password, but we're going to give it another shot today.

• Was your father using 1Password prior to you inviting him to your 1Password Families membership? If not then it is unlikely that is the issue. But if it is the vault would likely literally be named "Primary."

Are any of those Primary or non-membership vaults?

Nope, those would all be membership-based vaults. If you can see them at https://my.1password.com (from his account) then they are membership vaults.

My father didn't mention a seeing prompt after opening with his old password, but we're going to give it another shot today.

Sounds good. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.