New clipboard feature with Windows 1809 update issue: Entry is not cleared by 1Password

Options

With the new clipboard feature introduced in Windows 1809, there is an issue where the entry in the "Clipboard Manager" is not cleared by 1Password.

While the clipboard itself is cleared, by pressing Windows key + V shows the password (or any OTPs) still available for pasting.

1Password will need to remove that entry, as it would normally do with regular clipboard, as this is a new mainstream feature that while enabled (and especially if Synced across devices) could be a potential security risk.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win10 Version 1809 Build 17763.379
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1809

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Brazuca87,

Thank you for getting in touch!

From my understanding, Microsoft has stopped rolling out Windows 1809 update as of now. As for the Cloud History feature: we do not recommend to use it with 1Password. Please see replies from Mike here and from Serg here for more information about it.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Brazuca87
    Brazuca87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg,

Thanks for the response. I know they had stopped rolling out the update last year, but this year they started rolling the update again. On one computer I had the update available a in the past few months, but it always fails to install, would need a fresh install. On my laptop, I just received it this week, so I know it's available.

It's good to know 1Password is working with Microsoft to have it addressed though. While we wait for Microsoft to implement an opt-out (which may take forever before they do), any chance 1P can work on it's own way to avoid it? See KeePass for example: https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329220/thread/77370393c1/

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Brazuca87,

I see contradictory news about Windows 1809 update. For example, see this piece from April 9:

Microsoft throws in the towel on Windows 10 1809

We are aware of this issue with Cloud History, but I don't have any news or ETA for you regarding 1Password updates. I hope for your understanding. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to raise them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.