Duplicate logins

Options

I recently renewed and upgraded my 1Password membership.
Since then, 1Password does not recognize certain logins. A popup window asks me to remember this login on sites I have logged into many times. This results in numerous duplicates.
Can I stop this from happening, and is there an easy way to find and delete duplicates other than one by one by hand

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10.0.1803
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Duplicates

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi @jeffrapp,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! :+1:

Is it possible that you have a lot of saved passwords in a Passwords category of 1Password?

The thing is that when you generate a password with the help of a password generator in 1Password extension, it is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. It works as a backup plan, if you happen not to save a Login item you generated a password for. After that, when you select All Items view in 1Password, you will see those password items alongside your Login items. This is normal and intentional for the moment. If you saved all of your needed passwords as Logins, it is safe to delete the passwords in Passwords category. Please try to delete those password items and let me know if you see duplicates after that.

We want to add an automatic cleanup function to 1Password for Windows in the future. It will remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item. We will also add an extra manual tool to let you clean up old password items that follows the same rule.

Let me know if my guess is correct here. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• jeffrapp
    jeffrapp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg
    Thanks for answering.
    I don't think I made myself clear.
    What is happening is that when I get to the sign in page of certain websites, I believe the google password auto fill in function fills in the username and password. Then, 1Password offers to save it as a new login, despite the fact that I have agreed to do it several times, and there are already several duplicate logins for that site in 1Pssword. 1Password saves the login each time, until I don't save them anymore, by simply closing the popup window.
    I expect you to say that I shouldn't be using 2 different password programs. The reason I am is because before I purchased the new 1Password, I was using a no longer supported version. It didn't appear to be saving all my passwords. I wanted to let google fill in the blanks, then save it as a new login in 1Password, After all my logins were saved, I was going to disable the Google extension.
    I was hoping to eliminate the duplicates with a duplicate finder, but from your response, that no longer works. I don't want to have to do it manually.
    Any suggestions?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffrapp,

We do recommend turning off the the built-in password manager in your browser in order to avoid conflicts with 1Password. Here is how you can do that:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

As for the issue at hand, you can try to use Watchtower to find reused passwords in your vault. Please give it a try and let me know how it goes. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.