Domains and Safari autofill in iOS app

jyanek
jyanek
Community Member

For iPassword in iOS: When I go to log into a website, 1Password is picking the wrong Login to use. Example: I have accounts with three similar domains:

• disneycruise.disney.go.com
  • disneyworld.disney.go.com
  • disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com

So when I go to say the disneyvacationclub login, 1Password presents me with all 3 logins using the "go.com" domain. Specifically here is what I do.

• Go to the disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com website
  • Go to the login screen (which has the same domain)
  • Click on the Password field, of which 1Password in iOS safari.
  • Safari presents me with an option that says:
  • for go.com -- 1Password ... then shows my email address for the login. Unfortunately, it is choosing the wrong go.com 1Password entry ... it usually is choosing 'disneycruise' not 'disneyvacationclub'.

Why is it saying go.com, and often defaulting to the first one (disneycruise) when I am certainly on the disneyvacationclub website? That's the issue. All three websites are "go.com" domains, but each has longer unique domain (disneycruise, disneyworld, or disneyvacationclub in my example). Why is it not seeing "disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com" and just using the login for that one instead of giving me all three?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jyanek,

I understand the frustration here, but for us it is a bit of a catch-22. The difficulty, in short, is that what you've described (different "sub-domains" accepting different sets of credentials) is far from universally true. E.g.

Let's say at work I have two accounts I have to worry about: ben and admin-ben.
    I saved the ben credentials on a.company.example and the admin-ben credentials on b.company.example but a.company.example and b.company.example accept the same sets of credentials (i.e. either of these logins should work at either a or b). If we were to have 1Password operate as it seems you're proposing, we'd have the opposite problem to what you're experiencing.

That said, we are continuing to evaluate how we might improve this experience. In the mean time if you tap the "1Password" option at the bottom of the Password AutoFill list that'll bring up a 1Password UI which includes item titles, which may make it easier to pick the desired login.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jyanek
    jyanek
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Thank you for the reply. Is it possible then to request that 1Password for iOS when I select the Password field, show more information (like the full url) of that entry? That would make it easier for me to distinguish what 1Password is using. I understand I can hit the Key icon to the right, but then I still see a list of the exact same URL (company.example in your post above). If it would just show me more ... say a.company.example, at least I would know what 1Password was defaulting to. Or, as you suggest, showing Item Titles would be Awesome!

In the current workflow, I have to hit the Password field, then hit the Key, then hit the "1Password..." in the dropdown, then choose which one I want. That's a lot of clicks and a fatiguing workflow.

• @jyanek,

My understanding is that is about the best we're able to do with the currently available features in Password AutoFill. I'd love to have a 1Password button right on the keyboard that brings up the 1Password UI with full titles etc but that isn't available to us. You may find the 1Password share sheet extension more agreeable in this regard:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

That said Password AutoFill is a relatively new offering and hopefully it'll continue to evolve to offer more flexibility. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.