can't unlock existing 1Password desktop after migrating to family plan

Erik1P
Erik1P
Community Member

After happily using 1Password (stand alone including 1Password7) for many years I decided to migrate to the family plan and thus benefit from secure syncing via 1Password cloud. The migration went smoothly (I can see all my passwords in the browser).

However, I now want to unlock my 1Password7 desktop app again but it refuses my password (on purpose I kept the password for the new family scheme and my existing master password for 1Password app the same). If I enter Preferences/Accounts I can see I'm subscribed but when I click on "subscribed" I get the message "Account Credentials Missing".

What do I need to do? I have reinstalled 1Password7 several times by following the the instructions in my.1password.com. I also can't follow the instructions on How to add your 1Password account to the apps since the first step is to unlock 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't unlock existing 1Password desktop after migrating to family plan

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Erik1P! Welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify: without sharing any account information here, what is the field behind the error message in the screenshot that is missing? Is it the email address or the Secret Key?

And the first time you added your 1Password account to the app, were you able to do it without problems?

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

From top to bottom I can see:
    1. The family name I created when I registered/created my family plan
    2. "Subscribed"
    3. My email address
    4. Start of my secret key

At the moment I can only login to my vault via my.1password.com. I can't unlock the browser extension nor the 1Password menu bar item nor the 1Password desktop app.

I did not encounter a problem converting 1Password on my wife's laptop (we used to share a vault via Dropbox). On her laptop I can open the 1Password desktop app, unlock the browser extension and login to my.1password.com. I see the same vaults/password items in all cases.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Erik1P,

It's possible that something went wrong when you tried to add your 1Password account to this app. You said that you see all your items on 1Password.com, but does this 1Password app on the Mac contain other items that you don't see on the website?

I ask this because, if there is nothing else that you need inside the desktop app, you could reset it and start over with a fresh app. This way, you can then add your 1Password account and see if you are able to add it without problems this time.

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

Thanks again for the response.

It's difficult to check whether all items are included since the are not counted by category in my.1password.com. However, I can see the ballpark figure is correct (1,000+ items). And fortunately I exported all my items to a .1pif file before I started. So I suspect I will be covered.

I also saw I can deauthorize a device in My Profile. Would that be of any help?

If not, what is the correct way to remove and restart 1Password. Removing 1Password completely from my desktop using a tool like AppCleaner or AppZapper?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Erik1P

I also saw I can deauthorize a device in My Profile. Would that be of any help?

I am honestly not sure: it's the first time I see this error message. But in this case, I think that the app itself might be the problem, rather than the account, so it's possible that just deauthorizing your account won't fix the issue if it indeed lies within the app.

I would like to help you make sure that we are not missing anything before we restore the app to a fresh state (and you don't need any external tools for this, there is actually a built-in feature in 1Password that allows you to do this). Before we do that, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please email this report to support+forum@agilebits.com. Once you have emailed it, please post here the ticket number you received so I can locate your message in the system and get back to you over there.

Thank you!

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

For your reference, this is the support ID:

[#EJN-96384-416]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @Erik1P! I confirm that we have received your report, we will get back to you via email as soon as possible.

ref: EJN-96384-416

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

To wrap up this issue: there was an additional (older) family account in play on my desktop 1Password. After I had converted my current single user account to a family account, the 1Password desktop application expected the master password of the older family account. Once I used that everything opened fine :blush:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Erik1P - thanks for the follow-up, and glad to hear we were able to help you resolve the issue! :)

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

There is one more suggestion I'd like to make ... in the screenshot above (start of this thread) the (blurred) account name displayed was not the one associated with the master password 1Password expected. My suggestion is to show the same account name as the master password required to unlock 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately that isn't possible, as the Master Password used to unlock will be based entirely on how you've setup the app: the first vault/account you have setup there will be the one required for unlocking. And that could be one of any number of accounts or local vaults you've used.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

I am honestly not sure: it's the first time I see this error message. But in this case, I think that the app itself might be the problem, rather than the account

Hi @ag_ana,

that error message is unrelated to the issue at hand and is a bug/flaw I reported here (second paragraph):

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101978/bug-settings-screen-looks-odd

Happy Easter to you all!

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

@brenty ... but why does it show the last family account added in the screenshot above? Is the account randomly chosen?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Hi @peacekeeper!

Thank you for letting us know!

We also wish you a nice weekend and happy Easter! ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Erik1P: I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're selecting the old account to sign into from it being saved in iCloud Keychain.

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

@brenty ... a couple of months ago I assisted a family member setting up her trial 1Password account (let's call it Mary Jones) and I added this account to my standalone 1Password set-up. All the time I continued to use my existing master password to unlock 1Password (even after I had added the trial 1Password Mary Jones account).
    Last week I decided to convert my existing standalone 1Password to a family subscription (say with family name Erik Doe). After I had successfully converted my standalone version to a my.1password.com version I could no longer unlock my 1Password on the desktop. It expected suddenly Mary Jones's master password but showed in Preferences/Account tab 'Erik Doe'. For me this is an inconsistent combination. Had it shown Mary Jones I would have noticed that I should have used the associated master password.

Hope this clarifies my suggestion (or confusion).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Erik1P: under 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab, how many entries are currently there?

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

There is only one left (I removed the trial account).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Erik1P And that's the same one you see in the screenshot you posted above, correct?

Also, are you currently prompted for the correct Master Password, the one you were expecting?

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member

@ag_ana ... I'm not sure this thread is leading us anywhere at the moment. Is there any option to have a 'private' chat to explain my suggestion? Otherwise I propse to stop it as it will only confuse other reders.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Erik1P - we don't really have a "private chat" function here on the forum, but that's what our email support is perfect for. If you'd like to write to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread, we'd be happy to continue with you in private there, if that's going to better suit your needs. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

This discussion has been closed.