full time machine restore failed due to receipt folder of 1password 6 from Mac App Store

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That doesn't seem to be the case, as both Time Machine and 1Password 7 are working here -- maybe because I wasn't trying to restore data from a different system/user to another. I recently had to do a restore due to a hardware issue. I don't know that we can address this on our side, as we don't control the OS or Time Machine, but if we can find a way to work around it I'm sure we will. :) In the mean time, others have found that excluding or deleting the problem files from the backup works.

• jpap
    jpap
    Community Member

I also ran into the same problem today: the same $HOME/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App Store Receipts/receipt file broke a Time Machine restore from an external USB disk. Both the backup and the restore were made under Mojave 10.14.4.

I (stashed away then) removed the "receipt" file from the USB disk using the instructions posted above and the restore completed on a second attempt. (I manually copied the same receipt file back into place after the restore completed.) Everything seems fine on the restored system.

There's nothing special about the receipt file per-se, it has an innocuous com.apple.quarantine extended attribute but that's it. It might be that macOS is protecting the $HOME/Library/Group Containers/*/App Store Receipts/ folder as part of SIP.

Unfortunately it looks like a macOS bug to me. This thread was nonetheless extraordinarily helpful in showing a workaround for the restore. I would have been in a bit of panic otherwise! Thanks to all posters above.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in! I'm not sure it's a bug per se, but certainly an unwanted side effect of how all of this has developed over the year in macOS (née OS X, née NextStep). Anyway, I'm glad that the discussion helped you work around the issue. :)

• chrisdembia
    chrisdembia
    Community Member

I have the same issue with 1Password 7 from the App Store.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @chrisdembia! I'm sorry for the trouble, but it's going to be pretty difficult to know how to assist you just from that one sentence. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you're running
    2. What specific version of macOS you're running
    3. How you sync your data (1password.com account? Dropbox? Something else?)
    4. What specific steps you took, and what's not working the way you expect?
    5. Anything else you think might be relevant to our ability to help you resolve the issue

Thanks in advance.

• chrisdembia
    chrisdembia
    Community Member

Lars, I plan to try addressing my problem using links from the posts above rather than waiting on 1Password for a solution.

1. 1Password 7
      Version 7.2.5 (70205004)
      Mac App Store

2. macOS 10.14.5

3. 1password.com

4. Tried Restoring a Time Machine Backup. It got about 15% through and then I got the following error:

5. I chose to restore my computer because my hard drive ran out of space and that caused some quirky behavior (I couldn't connect to my Microsoft Exchange account anymore in Internet Accounts).

• @chrisdembia,

We believe we've got this fixed up in v7.2.6, which was released May 14th. You're a version behind. Once you use the workaround mentioned above to get Time Machine to restore please be sure to update 1Password.

Thanks.

Ben

• chrisdembia
    chrisdembia
    Community Member

Ben, thank you for explaining. To be clear, will the v7.2.6 fix clean up my pre-existing Time Machine backups?

• It will not, no, it will only help with backups made after installing 7.2.6, so I'd recommend making sure a good one is made after that point.

Ben

• grldP
    grldP
    Community Member

I've run into the same issue causing major pain to restore from Time Machine. However in your defense, same thing with another receipt file. It's an Apple/MAS bug that should be reported, best would be developers to do so.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gridP - we have indeed reported this, as you're quite right; this isn't something that's exclusive to 1Password. I don't have any news to share with you regarding progress, but Apple are certainly aware of this issue by now. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for reporting.

This discussion has been closed.