You can not disable autorun Windows version after updating the extension.

Hello! After updating to the latest beta version of the extension - each browser launch now starts the Windows version of the application. It is very uncomfortable. And it can not be disabled in the settings (I did not find).

Please add the appropriate setting. Or explain how to disable autorun Windows version after opening the browser :)

1Password Version: 7.3.661
Extension Version: 1.15.8
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro (1809)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@podkopaev: Indeed, I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password needs to run with the browser, or the extensions won't work. Technically you can disable that...by not installing the extensions. But there are good reasons to use them, both for convenience and security. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• podkopaev
    podkopaev
    Community Member

@brenty: That is, now running Windows application becomes mandatory for using 1Password X?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@podkopaev: Sorry for not being clearer. 1Password X does not integrate with the desktop app (yet), and it isn't necessary to even have the desktop app installed if you're using 1Password X. You can remove 1Password for Windows if you're using 1Password X. :)

• podkopaev
    podkopaev
    Community Member

@brenty: Probably there is a misunderstanding (maybe due to the fact that I use Google Translator). I will try to explain my question again :)

On my PC I use Windows version and browser extension.

It used to be like this:
    1. Windows version is closed.
    2. I opened the browser and used the extension.
    3. Because of this action, Windows version did not start automatically.

Now it became so:
    1. Windows version is closed.
    2. I opened the browser and used the extension.
    3. Because of this action, the Windows version started automatically.

And I say that this automatic opening of the Windows version can not be disabled (I did not find how) - It is very uncomfortable.
    And I ask you to add the ability to disable the autorun of the Windows version after opening the browser.

This raises additional questions:
    1. Is there a way to disable this automatic launch of the Windows version after opening the browser (appeared after the latest updates of the extension)?
    2. That is, now running Windows application (if installed) becomes mandatory for using 1Password X?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@podkopaev: Ah, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. If it's easier for you, feel free to reply in your native language. We can use Google Translate to save you the trouble, but we may have someone here who knows the language anyway. :)

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Is there a way to disable this automatic launch of the Windows version after opening the browser (appeared after the latest updates of the extension)?

The browser's Native Messaging Host tries to connect to 1Password, which results in 1Password being launched if it is not running. The only way to not have the 1Password desktop app launch with the browser is to not have it installed. As I mentioned above, if you're using 1Password X, you don't need the desktop app though.

1. That is, now running Windows application (if installed) becomes mandatory for using 1Password X?

No. It's not related to 1Password X. But I can see how that might be confusing.

I guess my questions are, why is it important to you to not have the 1Password desktop app running at all? And why do you have it installed in that case?

We don't have plans to change that since the vast majority of people use 1Password in their browser, and it has to be running for that to happen. But perhaps in the future we'll have some more options, or the way people use 1Password will change. So it's good to get this kind of feedback. :)

• podkopaev
    podkopaev
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@brenty: Now I understand the situation. Thanks for answers :)

I guess my questions are, why is it important to you to not have the 1Password desktop app running at all?

1. I did not run it (I do not like that the application starts when I did not ask for it).
    2. I have the tray order set up in a certain way - if I don’t use the application, then the icon bothers me.
    3. Do not need an extra process in the background.

And why do you have it installed in that case?

I use the Windows version when I need to create something, edit or implement any other operation with my data. But at other times I do not use the application.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @podkopaev,

As we improve 1Password X we'll be looking to bring tighter integration with the native application when present so I don't foresee this improving I'm afraid. It's been a while since I've played about with Windows but you used to be able to force a tray icon to always show or always be hidden, if you want to keep 1Password for Windows around could that maybe help with that particular issue?

The other option is to use the web interface for your 1Password account to add/modify items if all you're ever doing with the native application is a glorified editor. If the web interface meets your needs it could mean you could remove the native application altogether and that would also stop the issue you're having. Could that be a possibility?

• podkopaev
    podkopaev
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@littlebobbytables: I need time to try new usage scenarios in which there is no Windows application. After some time I will answer (about one week).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @podkopaev,

Of course :smile: Let's see how the trial of using just the web interface goes.

This discussion has been closed.