Set default login???

reck
reck
Community Member

There are a number of sites where I have multiple logins. Normally in these circumstances I use one particular login 90% of the time and the others just now and again.

What I find is that the login that’s offered to me tends to be one I hardly ever use and I have to click the key icon to select the correct login.

Is there any way for me to select a default login so that the one I normally use is displayed?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @reck!

Just to make sure we are on the same page: are you currently using Password AutoFill or the Safari extension on iOS?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

When I click in the field (username/password) I get the option at the bottom of the browser to autofill and I just click it and it gets filled in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. We don't have control over iOS 12 Password Autofill UI as that's part of the OS. But even if we did I'm not sure we want 1Password hiding people's data, as that would (understandably) freak people out. I understand you're suggesting that you'd do this knowingly, but it's easy to forget. It's not a great way to start the day before coffee. :lol:

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I’m not sure I follow brenty. I’m not suggesting hiding anything I was just asking if it would be possible to change which password was shown by default on the password suggestion toolbar.

From what you’ve written it sounds like you can’t unfortunately.

I’ve just taken another look at how the password suggestion works on iPhone and I’m seeing two different UI elements depending on which site I visit and I was wondering how it works.

For instance if I go to the Amazon.co.uk login page I just get a button with a key icon with passwords written next to it. I can click the button and a full screen 1Password window pops up where I can select which account to login with.

If I go to my network providers login page I get a button on the password bar where it’s automatically picked a login to use which I can click to get it to fill in. Alternatively to the right of this is a key icon which when pressed brings up a little pop up with a list of the accounts I can use and at the bottom an option to open 1Password. This looks more like an iOS window rather than a 1Password window.

So my question is why am I seeing different options on different pages?

On my network providers page why does it look like it’s using the iOS password autofill and if it is this where is it getting the account information from as I only have it saved in 1Password not on the phone in keychain?

Thanks.

• I’m not sure I follow brenty. I’m not suggesting hiding anything I was just asking if it would be possible to change which password was shown by default on the password suggestion toolbar.

If one login is marked as a favorite in 1Password, and none of the other suggestions are, that is the login that will be shown as the default suggestion. Does that help?

So my question is why am I seeing different options on different pages?

We've been trying to figure that out as well. It isn't entirely clear what the differentiating factor for Password AutoFill is here.

This looks more like an iOS window rather than a 1Password window.

It is. :) The only window we present is the one that is shown after you tap the key and then select 1Password. All the rest of the UI is handled by Password AutoFill.

On my network providers page why does it look like it’s using the iOS password autofill and if it is this where is it getting the account information from as I only have it saved in 1Password not on the phone in keychain?

They're both Password AutoFill and in both situations the data could be coming from 1Password. That said, we do recommend disabling iCloud Keychain for Password AutoFill when using 1Password. Instructions are in this guide:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Ben

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

If one login is marked as a favorite in 1Password, and none of the other suggestions are, that is the login that will be shown as the default suggestion. Does that help?

Ah so it is possible to control which item appears on the autofill toolbar by default by selecting one as a favourite. I'll look into that. As I mentioned i'm not getting a consistent UI between sites, so on the Amazon page where I have multiple logins saved it doesn't give me a default login to use while my network providers page does. Is it possible to always get a default login to appear which is controlled by what I make as a favourite?

We've been trying to figure that out as well. It isn't entirely clear what the differentiating factor for Password AutoFill is here.

I actually noticed a third UI element yesterday where the suggested login was in a big blue box rather than sitting neatly in the autofill bar at the bottom.

They're both Password AutoFill and in both situations the data could be coming from 1Password. That said, we do recommend disabling iCloud Keychain for Password AutoFill when using 1Password. Instructions are in this guide:

I do actually have keychain disabled on all my devices and only use 1Password.

I think it's the different UI that's throwing me off, sometimes I get a default login, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get the 1Password UI, sometimes the iOS UI. If I could get a consistent experience across all sites where I could control which login is suggested on the autofill toolbar then i'd be happy :)

• Having the one you want defaulted marked as a favorite should indeed help with that. :+1:

Ben

• mee
    mee
    Community Member

It is now 2019, and the Chrome browser extension seems quite unintuitive and featureless.
    How can it be so difficult to simply delete a login.
    Or add a login to favorites.
    I hope you guys have some plans on fixing this eg. Add some actuall functionality.

At this point in time, what is the best suggested route for me to delete a login to a site?

I accidentally became a paid user, and may as well struggle along, trying to get 1Password to SAVE me time, instead of wasting more of it.

• Hi @mee,

Welcome to the 1Password support form. You posted this in the 1Password for iOS category, but I suspect you may be using a different platform. Is that the case? If so, please let me know which platform you're on so I can move your feedback to the appropriate spot.

To answer your questions you can learn about those topics here:

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.