Why "Driver Licenses" and "Passports" categories?

andx1pw
andx1pw
Community Member

Why are there categories for "Driver Licenses" and "Passports"? Passports I kind of get, because quite a few people may have more than one passport. Obviously some (or even the same) people may have more than one driver license. But why give them individual categories?

I don't think that there are many people with 10 different passports and driver licenses. On the other hand, I assume that many people do have more than one credit card but those are not split into "Visa"/"Master" categories.

I suggest to have one category for "Identity Cards" (or a similar name) to collect the above plus social security numbers etc.

At the very least rename "Passports" to "ID Cards".

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andx1pw! Welcome to the forum!

I don't think that there are many people with 10 different passports and driver licenses.

If you have a Families Membership, you might want to share this information with your spouse, parents or kids, so in a family there could easily be several licenses and passports, even if you only have one for yourself :)

On the other hand, I assume that many people do have more than one credit card but those are not split into "Visa"/"Master" categories.

That's true, but they are still credit cards, regardless of whether they are VISA or Master (not to mention that there are other types too, so we would have to multiply the number of categories here). So I don't think it would make much sense to split them into two or more different categories, I think it would actually create some confusion.

I suggest to have one category for "Identity Cards" (or a similar name) to collect the above plus social security numbers etc.

So just to make sure I understand this: you would actually like three categories collapsed into a single one? Meaning Identities, Passports and Social Security Numbers (which are all existing categories) all collapsed into a single "Identity Cards" category?

Because I personally think that these items are different enough to warrant their own category, but having said this: if you prefer to have them all in the same one, you can certainly choose one of the three and just use the one you prefer :)

• It may be helpful to think of categories as templates, as they also serve that function (they define which fields are present / required on each item). Because the fields on a driver license and a Passport may be / are different they require separate categories. On the other hand a Visa card and a Mastercard card would have the same fields.

Ben

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member

Thank you, those are all good thoughts. I assume my usecase comes from the fact that I have an ID card and a passport. So I guess I will have to sort my ID card under passports - strange but why not...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is an option @andx1pw. Using the Passport category for your passport, and the Social Security Numbers category for your ID is another one, so you are certainly free to choose the one that works best for you :)

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member

Since I don't even know what a social security number is supposed to be, I vote for the option to make categories editable.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@andx1pw: A Social Security Number is, effectively, an ID :)

And thank you for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.