merging vaults iOS-MacOS-1Password.com

otties
otties
Community Member

Hi,
I'm thoroughly confused about my 1Password vaults.
I see one on 1Password.com, I have a Primary Vault and a Personal vault on my Mac application and a Primary Vault and a Personal Vault on my iPhone App.
The Primary Vaults are synched on my iCould account. So they're the same.
The Personal Vaults are (obviously) only on my two devices.
The 1Password vault is yet another one!
So basically I have 4 Vaults and I really would like to have just 1 across all devices and 1Password.com.

Sooooo, how do I proceed to merge the vaults, making sure only the latest modified versions are present and I miss no entry? Do I use iCloud or should I use 1Password.com for synching?

I've seen several forum threads about this, but sometimes Personal vault are told to be the ones that are synched and my apps tells me the Personal ones are local only!

So before making, trying to make, any changes I would like to know what the best way forward is!

Cheers!

Marco

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (Mac) 7.3 (iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.4 (Mac) 12.2 (iOS)
Sync Type: iCoud
Referrer: forum-search:merging vaults

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @otties! Welcome to the forum!

Do I use iCloud or should I use 1Password.com for synching?

If you are using a 1Password Membership, you should only use 1Password.com vaults to avoid confusion. One of the benefits about a Membership is exactly that you don't need any additional sync methods, everything happens automatically through your 1Password account :)

I've seen several forum threads about this, but sometimes Personal vault are told to be the ones that are synched and my apps tells me the Personal ones are local only!

Can you post a screenshot that shows this message about Personal vaults being local only? Personal vaults are inside your 1Password account, so they are not local.

how do I proceed to merge the vaults, making sure only the latest modified versions are present and I miss no entry?

Before we do that, I have a question for you: do you have any items inside your Primary vault (the old one) that are not inside your 1Password.com vaults?

Because if you are in the opposite situation (you have items in your new Personal vault that are not in the old Primary vault), it means that you are already using your new 1Password.com vault for syncing, so you should be good to go already.

• otties
    otties
    Community Member

Hi Ana!
    Thx for the quick reply.
    The thing is that the vault on 1password.com contains items that are not.oresent in any of the other vaults.
    The primary (as called on my.mac and my iPhone ) are synced via iCloud and are in sync. Both personal vaults (Mac and iPhone ) at enjoy in sync and none of them are in sync with the vault on 1password.com!
    The weird thing is that I see items in the 1passwore.com vault that should be in the other vaults as well but are not?!

What should the vault settings be on a Mac and an iPhone to correctly use the 1password.com vault?

Thanks again!

Marco

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@otties - I'm sorry for the confusion. If you've been using 1Password for a while - before you opened a 1password.com account - then your data would have been local (what we call "standalone") at the time you began using it. These vaults are created on your own device, and they are only synced if you set up advanced sync via iCloud or Dropbox, etc. This is not the same thing as a 1password.com account. When you created a 1password.com account, your vaults "live" on the 1password.com server (with a local cache of them on your devices), and the syncing is all via the 1password.com server. They can't and will never sync with iCloud, or with the Primary vault on your device.

The best way to resolve this is to first make sure you've got only one 1password.com account set up. If you've set up multiple accounts, those won't sync with one another and you'll need to consolidate into just one (not just for syncing, but also so you're not paying for multiple, redundant accounts). In your devices where you have a 1Password app installed, look in Settings > 1password Accounts (iOS) or Preferences > Accounts (Mac) to make sure the credentials (email address and Secret Key) are the same. Assuming they are, then proceed to the next steps:

1. On your Mac, switch to the Primary vault (not All Vaults), and make sure you're viewing All Items.
    2. Set the sort order at the top of the item list column to sort by Date Modified. This should give you a descending date-ordered list of anything that's been changed in the Primary vault. Look at any items that match this description that fall between the date you created your 1password.com account and today. These are the only items you potentially need to worry about (anything NOT modified/added in that date range is already accounted for in the Personal vault of your 1password.com account).
    3. Use these instructions to move these items from your Primary vault into your Personal vault. You now have captured all data from Primary that was not yet in Personal, and moved it over.
    4. Use these instructions to remove the Primary vault from every device on which you have a 1Password app installed (you can skip the step about signing in; you've already done that).

You should end up with ONLY your 1password.com account's Personal vault, on every device, with all of your data on it. You will probably now have a number of "duplicate" items. I put "duplicate" in quotes because they're not really duplicates. The copy you moved over from your Primary vault is the one that you modified, which means it should be the one you keep. You will have to manually sort through these "dupes" to remove the less-correct one (or manually copy over any/all information into one record, then delete the "dupe"). Let us know how you get on! :)

• otties
    otties
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Thanks!
    I did what you said and I think it looks good!! :-)
    I'll have to go through the Personal vault for a bit to see if there are any "dupes", but other than that it looks good!

For now I'm assuming you've saved me from further Vault-headaches! Thanks ever so much!

Marco

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@otties - glad to hear it! Let us know if you need any further assistance. :)

This discussion has been closed.