Icon in system tray disappears when closing 1Password

When I have a 1Password window open (the 'big' 1Password window) and close that, the icon in the system tray disappears and I cannot get it back by clicking on the 1Password icon in my programs list. (from what I can see it only comes back when I restart my computer). Is there a setting for this or anything to get the icon back? (I do not want to go to my browser all the time to start 1Password.. I mean, I can, but I'm used to also go to the program in my system tray)

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Hey, @JohanvL! I love the system tray icon. I'm so sorry it's not cooperating with you. When you close 1Password, are you choosing 1Password > Exit or just clicking the X? The former will quit 1Password (thus removing the icon), while the latter will just hide it (so icon stays). If you're clicking the X, does using Ctrl + Shift + \ to open the main 1Password app still work? It might be that the main app is quitting when it shouldn't be, but knowing whether that keyboard shortcut works will let me know if it's the main app quitting or an issue isolated to your system tray. Thanks!

• Hi @bundtkate , I think (if I remember correctly), that I just click the x to close it.. but I guess I'll have to pay attention next time my computer reboots. The keyboard shortcut works, yes, thank you.. I hope I can remember that though...

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

I'm still working on remembering that shortcut even though I prefer my keyboard when possible, @JohanvL, so I definitely feel ya there. Adjusting to a new workflow, even when it's one that I personally find better, is always tough. Habits are tough to break. :chuffed:

Definitely do pay attention to how you close 1Password and if you are just clicking the X, check for errors in Event Viewer next time the icon disappears:

https://support.1password.com/cs/windows-crash-report/

Send that via e-mail to us at [email protected] and I'll take a peek. To be safe, include any recent errors, even if they don't appear 1Password-related at a glance. It'll help me make sure there's not a sneaky crash going on here and I'm more than happy to sift through the unrelated stuff. Sometimes it's tough to tell what's relevant, too, so casting a wider net is not only okay, but preferred in these cases. :+1:

• Same issue here (Windows 10 Pro with all the updates, using 1Password 7.3.657).
    On boot the icon is in the system tray, if I don't open the main app itself but just use browsers plugins the icons is always there.
    As soon as I open the main app and close it with the "X" or also when choosing "1Password" > "Lock" the icon isn't anymore in the system tray.
    I need to go back to my apps and run the app again. But the app wasn't really closed because if I didn't lock it, it just open without asking any password or anything. Therefore it's just the icon disappearing from the system tray while the app is still running "somewhere" (in the background).
    Nothing visible in the Event Viewer.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

We did make some changes that impacted the notification area icon when we updated the installer for 7.3, @Spoon25, but at present we're not aware of any universal issues with the icon itself and certainly nothing we're able to reproduce. It may be there is something related in Event Viewer, but it just isn't terribly clear. Again, though, this is likely to be something specific to either your PC or settings, so it's best to first look at some logs and see if we can narrow some things down. For now, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to [email protected].

Include a link to this thread in your e-mail so we know where it came from.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  If you post that number here, I can track down the diagnostics more quickly. I'll take a peek, see if anything jumps out at me, and if not, give you some things to try in an effort to pin things down. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Done

Support ID: [#BGN-77639-423]

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @Spoon25,

Got it! We will take a closer look and get back to you soon. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

ref: BGN-77639-423

• Hi @Greg ,
    Sadly I can't seem to make it disappear anymore (never knew how I did that anyway).
    As I rarely use the icon I only noticed it when I wanted to use it, therefore can also be something random or related to something else.
    Will keep an eye on it and see if I can manage to make it disappear again.

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @Spoon25,

Thanks for the info! If you even bump into this issue again, please let us know. We will investigate further.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Hi @bundtkate I've been without issues for a while now, so.. we're good! Icon doesn't disappear anymore. Thank you for your time! :)

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Glad to hear it, @JohanvL! Fingers crossed it keeps up and all remains well with the world. :chuffed:

• rikkyderikkyde
    edited October 14

Same problem here; I just re-installed 1Password on a new hard drive. When it closes, there is no icon in the tray. I close (with the X). Cntl-Shift-\ does work when "closed" to bring it forward again, but I prefer to use a mouse.

UPDATE: needed to reboot - problem now went away. Let's see what happens over time.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Thanks for the update! Glad that all is well now, but we're here if you need us. :)

• I have the same problem here across multiple computers and multiple re-installations of Windows. I use it several times a day and there is at least one instance each day that I go to find the icon and it is missing. There are no events in the Event Viewer that are related to 1Password. What I noticed the last time that the icon is missing is that 1Password was still running under background processes in Task Manager. If I re-launch the 1Password program, the icon does not return. I can use the keyboard shortcut to open 1Password Mini when this happens. If I force that background process to close and re-open the 1Password client, the icon re-appears and all is fine. I will bookmark this thread and provide a diagnostic report when it happens next.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@ArcanePhoenix: Thanks for chiming in. That's very strange indeed. You wouldn't be looking for something from 1Password in Event Viewer, because 1Password isn't going to be killing its own notification tray icon. It's going to be something else. So I'm not sure that a diagnostics report will tell us more than that it is getting killed and when, but we can definitely take a look. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file