1Password 7 Safari Extension. Am I doing something wrong?

JimPrevo
JimPrevo
Community Member

I'm been using 1Password for perhaps 10 years. I think it was right after I bought my first Mac. 2009 or 2010 when I needed a Multiplatform PW manager. I just upgraded to 1PW7 for Mac on the latest version of MacOS. I'm doing a shakedown cruise before I upgrade my wife's devices. I've noticed some odd behavior with the Safari extension. For example when I logged into this forum using Safari, 1PW presented me with the option to use my stored credentials and I selected it as usual. 1PW entered my username and PW, but then it shifted my focus over to the 1PW7 app itself... which I happen to have open on a different desktop on why Mac. So my workflow is interrupted and I have to navigate back to the desktop where Safari is open. Not difficult, but a pain.

On the flip side, when I click on a URL for a web site in 1PW7, my focus shifts appropriately to Safari, but nothing else happens. No new tab is opened and the URL is not entered into the address field of the tab that happens to be open. It just flips over to Safari and stops there. Is it me or is there some issue with 1PW7 and Safari?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.5 (70205004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1PW account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JimPrevo - I'm sorry for the trouble!

For example when I logged into this forum using Safari, 1PW presented me with the option to use my stored credentials and I selected it as usual. 1PW entered my username and PW, but then it shifted my focus over to the 1PW7 app itself.

That's definitely not expected, or normal, behavior. However, if you've literally just made the switch, then please restart your Mac, and try again; let us know if the issues persist.

• JimPrevo
    JimPrevo
    Community Member

That did it. Thanks. I should have thought of that.

Related to this I don't seem to be able to delete 1Password6. I followed the instructions on the support page.

https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JimPrevo

What happens exactly when you try to delete 1Password 6? At what specific step are you getting stuck?

• JimPrevo
    JimPrevo
    Community Member

I execute the multi-finger quit to shut down 1PW and Mini, then quit Safari and then drag the 1PW icon to the trash. It appears to be dropping in the trash, but is not there when I look and is still in the apps folder.

Ok, just now, I tried it on my iMac and it did the same thing as on my MacBook Pro. However, I opened the Apps folder and did a right-click menu choice of Move to Trash ...at that point it prompted me for my Mac account password and when I entered it, 1PW6 was moved to the trash. I’ll try that on my MBP later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, glad that helped. I'm not sure why it wasn't working on the other Mac, but give that a try and let us know. :)

• JimPrevo
    JimPrevo
    Community Member

Using the same procedure of opening the apps folder worked on both Macs. Drag and drop did not. It seems drag and drop would not prompt me for an admin account PW to authorize the removal of the app, but moving it to trash via the menu in the app folder did prompt me for the password of my account before trashing it. Anyway...it is gone now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. Thanks for the update. :)

This discussion has been closed.