searching for weak passwords: how can I find my shorter passwords so I can make them longer?

akingaloo
akingaloo
Community Member

I've always used 1Password to make "strong" passwords and I always thought that meant a recipe of letters, numbers, and symbols. I've recently learned about "entropy" and the value of length. Is there a way to find all of my passwords shorter than, say, X characters (or X amount of entropy)? I would like a search feature of this nature if it doesn't exist -- and it seems rather easy to implement. thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:find short passwords

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @akingaloo! Welcome to the forum!

You can use the advanced search function to get a similar result:

It won't allow you to specify an exact length, but you can filter based on calculated password strength directly, which I think is ultimately what you are looking for.

I hope this helps!

• akingaloo
    akingaloo
    Community Member

thank you ag_ana. that is helpful. is there a reference for the definition for these different levels (ie: what constitutes "fair" vs "very good"?)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@akingaloo: Good question! I don't think we have anything publicly documented about this, but I would imagine it's a combination of several factors: strength of the password, types of characters used and password entropy. I am not sure what the exact values are that make a password go from one level to another though, sorry!

• akingaloo
    akingaloo
    Community Member

ok. thanks for your honesty. love the product, btw.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.