Roboform import puts website address into user name block

BenBob
BenBob
Community Member

Trying out 1Password hoping to switch from Roboform. Not impressed so far. Have tried twice to import and have followed the procedure correctly step by step. Each time I do the import it puts the web address into the user name block. As such 1 Password will not work as anytime I try to log into a website, it won't work because it is putting in the wrong username. In other words, instead of putting my email in as my user name, it puts http://www.delta.com int the user name block

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: OS 10.14.4
Sync Type: ???
Referrer: forum-search:import from roboform

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob

Which method are you using to import?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BenBob: Unfortunately what 1Password imports is only as good as the source data, which can often be incomplete or in a strange format. So while it isn't something we can do for you, if you'll give us some details we can probably suggest something. :)

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC I am using the method specified on the 1Password website, directions for migrating from Roboform.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob

Can I suggest you try the roboform converter in the converter suite instead?

Just follow the download and directions. If you have an issues, I'm here to help.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Brenty, I am working on it with JD and he has suggested something by modifying the CSV file that gets produced. Haven't tried it yet but will as soon as I have time. Thanks

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC, thanks I'll look at that also.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC, before I try the procedure you mentioned or the one sent to me by JD, I need to delete all the listings in my account. I have tried 2 migrations and now I have duplicates of everything with the wrong information. How can I start fresh? I cannot find the answer in the help support.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob,

There is a Tags section on the left side bar. Expand the Tags area, and you will see some tags. When you import items, they are tagged with the import date. You can select the tag, and this gives you access to select those items, which you can then delete.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC, I figured out how to delete a single item but I have 700 plus to delete. I looked at the tag section but it only has about 4 tags and each tag has only one of my entries but each one is duplicate. How can I delete all 700 items at once? Thanks for your continued help

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob,

Select ALL the items in the middle items list. Click on 1 item, and then use Cmd-A to select them all. Then right-click, select Move to Trash:

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Sounds goo MRC but is not working for me -- I am working in my on line account and when I select Cmd-A it gives me a completely different result. See screen shots:

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC, very strange how my screen looks so much different. I'm slowly deleting individual items one by one. Going to take a long time. Down to 600 left!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BenBob - you're using the 1password.com web client, that's why it's not working. You'll need to use 1Password for Mac or another 1Password app to be able to select multiple items (for now). Cmd+A on a webpage will select ALL the text in a container. That's what you're seeing in your screenshot. MrC was using 1Password for Mac for his demontration. Try it there, and you should see the same results he mentioned. Much quicker than deleting 600 by hand! 😳

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

I am really confused why 1Password is being so user unfriendly to me. I was expecting much better! This is very odd but I'm trying to hang in there because I was looking forward to switching.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob

You'll find the Desktop app to be much more "friendly" than the web client. Web-based apps are in almost all cases less feature-rich than the native macOS apps. Web-apps are much more simplistic.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Lars, thank you so much! I thought it had something to do with that (being on the website) but when I clicked on my 1Password for Mac it looked different. Now I realize I have to click on the gear for settings and then "open 1Password". Working on it now!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob

Awesome!

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

OK, MRC and Lars I got everything deleted! Now I am going to uninstall 1Password and then reinstall and try another migration method. Thank you for all the help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob

There's no reason to uninstall . I'm wondering why you are doing that?

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC, just because I wanted to start with a clean slate. If you don't think it is necessary, I'll try it first without the uninstall. Thanks

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

OK Mr MRC, I tried doing the conversion with your MacOSConvertHelper.app but it doesn't seem to work the way you say. I get what is shown in the below screen shot. I tried to follow your instructions to do it manually in the terminal but I am a little lost as to what exactly to type into the terminal (I have used terminal a little in the past). Thanks again.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2019

@BenBob

I don't see a screenshot above.

I just ran MacOSConvertHelper on a brand new Mojave virtual machine, and it ran fine. Can you elaborate?

The terminal command it will generate for you looks like:

cd '/Users/MrC/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite' && /usr/bin/perl convert.pl roboform '/Users/MrC/Desktop/roboform_mac_logins.htm' -v
    Imported 9 items
    Exported 9 login items
    Exported 9 total items
    You may now import the file /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P_import.1pif into 1Password

The general form of the command is:

perl convert.pl roboform -v path_to_your_export_file

You can see above my export file name was roboform_mac_logins.htm and it was on the Desktop. The .htm file was a print list, as per the Roboform export directions in the README.html file. If you followed the instructions there, it will guide you through the process.

You must first cd in Terminal into the converter directory, which I suggested you place on your Desktop. Hence the initial command above:

cd '/Users/MrC/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite'

So your command line would be basically this:

cd '/Users/MrC/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite'
    perl convert.pl roboform -v path_to_your_export_file

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

For some reason the screen shot did not post -- and then the system blocked me for 300 minutes. I will try again.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2019

@BenBob

Ah, this can happen when users don't accept the macOS prompt to allow terminal to be controlled by the helper. There was a prompt that asked for access.

Just open a new Terminal window manually, and then re-try the helper app.

If it will help you, I'm happy to provide you with some remote assistance.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

MRC, my latest update: Your converter was fantastic and has gotten me on the road to using 1Password. I am now in the process of trying to clean things up and learn how to use 1Password. Thank you so much for all the help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@BenBob

Excellent. Sigh's of relief and applauds are heard around the globe! :-)

Enjoy 1Password!

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

:) Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BenBob - on behalf of myself and MrC (who did most of the real work), you're quite welcome! Glad you got things all set. :)

• WasRF_Now1P
    WasRF_Now1P
    Community Member

Gang, this post saved the day. I was really struggling with converting RF and was trying to modify RF's exported csv to work with the apps import tool. Fail. Then I came across this post. Like BenBob, my data was ending up in inappropriate fields and all my RF passwords were populating 1P's comment fields. Scary at first.

I followed the converter suite readme and, with some minor environment-specific mods, I got 450 records imported. Thanks for the reminder to also delete the unencrypted csv, pif, and htm files. Like BenBob, I'm now off to go learn how 1Password works.

BenBob, if you're reading this, thanks for kicking off this thread. You laid the path for my own migration.

PS, this new customer was swayed by "Random but Memorable." I binged the program on a recent road trip and really got some good pointers. Looking forward to more podcasts and using 1Password to it's potential.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@WasRF_Now1P ,

These success posts are always great to read.

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.