Secure Note: Text Duplication

jn1480
jn1480
Community Member

Hey guys -

This has been happening for quite a while, at least a year, if not more.
I just keep hoping it will get fixed in the next release, and frankly don't have time to get in touch with you for support.
BUT - it has been getting out of hand now and I REALLY need it fixed ;)
So...

I use the SECURE NOTE option for almost all of my 'records' in 1P.
I tend to store a lot of text the the SECURE NOTE, and delineate that text into sections, using the following format:

NOTE!! The "double quotes" surrounding the dashed lines (i.e. "=========" and "---------" and "---" and "===") in the examples below are simply placed there for you to be able to see what my plain text in my SECURE NOTE looks like WITHOUT the double quotes. On this forum text box, when I entered this text without the double quotes (""), it did some sort of markdown text formatting that I did not want. When I enter text in my secure notes, I DO NOT have the = and - lines surrounded in double quotes.

"========="
SECTION A
"---------"
data, part 1
"---"
data, part 1 sub

"---------"
data, part 2
"---"
data, part 2 sub

"========="
SECTION B
"---------"
data, part 1
"---"
data, part 1 sub

"---------"
data, part 2
"---"
data, part 2 sub

ETC....

The problem that has been happening for so long now, is that it seems that the data in these SECURE NOTES gets duplicated with each save??

So when I go back to the SECURE NOTE, it now shows:

"========="
SECTION A
"---------"
data, part 1
"---"
data, part 1 sub

"---------"
data, part 2
"---"
data, part 2 sub

"========="
SECTION B
"---------"
data, part 1
"---"
data, part 1 sub

"---------"
data, part 2
"---"
data, part 2 sub

ETC....

"==="
"========="
SECTION A
"---------"
data, part 1
"---"
data, part 1 sub

"---------"
data, part 2
"---"
data, part 2 sub

"========="
SECTION B
"---------"
data, part 1
"---"
data, part 1 sub

"---------"
data, part 2
"---"
data, part 2 sub

ETC....

Note!! That additional "===" between the original SECURE NOTE text, and the now duplicated text below the "===".
I do not ever use a "===" text string in any of my SECURE NOTES. This has been added by your 1P software, and the duplicated text is of course added by your software as well.

Help!?

I use this program on my Mac OS X (10.13.4 (17E199)) and my iPhoneX iOS 11.3 and the web version.

Thank you!!
JN

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4 (17E199)
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @jn1480,

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. The good news is that since you're using 1Password.com to sync this should happen less frequently now.

You should:

• Use 1Password for Mac or 1Password.com to clean up secure note
    • Go to all of your devices and make sure that it looks right
    • There is no step 3

This would have happened when two devices edited the note without having been able to sync and consolidate the changes. In that case 1Password does what's called "conflict resolution". In the case of Secure Notes, this means taking one version of the note, and another version of the note, and putting "======" between them in hopes that you notice one's wrong and take the correct one or merge the changes manually.

This type of conflict resolution was relatively common prior to 1Password.com and its new sync protocol. It was especially common if you were using Dropbox to sync 1Password. These kinds of issues were huge factors in us building something from scratch with 1Password.com. It can still happen there, but it's much much more rare.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• jn1480
    jn1480
    Community Member

Thanks Rick!
    I would say this is happening just as much in the new 1Password.com iteration - but I guess I will keep my eyes open and let you know if that is still the case.

• rickfillion
    edited April 2018

@jn1480,

It can certainly still happen, and in fact I can give you steps to force it to happen:

• Take both your Mac and your iPhone offline
    • Edit the secure note on both the Mac and the iPhone in different ways
    • Take both the Mac and the iPhone back online

By doing edits on a device that does not have the latest version of a note will cause this (assuming the edit isn't an append).

Does it sound like something that could be part of your normal workflow? If so, would you mind telling us more about what you're doing? Most of my commonly edited secure notes are ones that I'm always appending to. Maybe you're in a different position?

Rick

ref: CXN-81291-932

• nhortonma
    nhortonma
    Community Member

I'm still seeing the same issues. I'm running 6.8.9 (689000) on my Mac syncing via Dropbox. If I edit and save a secure note on the Mac, then close out 1Password on the mac, then open up 1password on my iphone, then reopen on the Mac the secure note will be duplicated with both the original and revised versions included. Just to confirm, I did not make any edits on the iphone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nhortonma - I'm sorry for the trouble. Is your Dropbox sync keychain in the Agile Keychain format, or OPVault? And what version of 1Password are you running on your iOS device?

• nhortonma
    nhortonma
    Community Member

I'm running version 7.3 of 1password. I'm syncing using opvault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

OK, thanks. Just wanted to make sure you weren't using an outdated sync keychain or a really old version of 1Password for iOS. However, the most-recent activity in this old thread is at least a year ago, and a lot's changed with 1Password in that time. For one thing, we're all the way on version 7.2.5 in 1Password for Mac now, and version 7.3 is already at beta-11 status. If you can, I'd recommend you upgrade to at least the current stable version of 1Password 7 for Mac, and (if you're feeling adventurous) try the beta. If you upgrade to at least version 7.2.5 and this continues happening regularly, then I'd suggest the steps in this troubleshooting guide, at a minimum. Let us know how that works for you.

• jn1480
    jn1480
    Community Member

I still see this on a very regular basis....

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.5 (70205002)
    AgileBits Store

MacOS Mojave
    10.14.4 (18E226)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jn1480 - I'm sorry to hear that! Are you using a 1password.com membership for your data storage/sync, or standalone and some other method? If so, what?

• jn1480
    jn1480
    Community Member

All you :) (1password.com membership)

anySiteSolutions.1password.com

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jn1480 and @nhortonma - is this happening on every Secure Note you edit? Or only sometimes? Have you noticed a pattern? And when it does occur, are either/both of you putting these Secure Notes that display this issue into Edit mode, making changes, saving the changes (or creating a new note and saving it) and then immediately putting the note back into Edit mode?

• jn1480
    jn1480
    Community Member

Yes, we often edit, add content, save. Then edit again in a moment or two, save, etc.

• nhortonma
    nhortonma
    Community Member

I haven't noticed a pattern. I generally make one change and then save.

The Secure Note is approximately 18158 characters. Could that be a contributing factor?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jn1480 - this may very well be the culprit. If you create or edit a Secure Note, save it, and then re-edit it before it's had a chance to sync with the server, this can happen. It's as if you've used two different clients (which, as rickfilion said above, will reliably cause this problem).

This discussion has been closed.