Attach File

13»

Comments

• AJH2
    AJH2
    Community Member

Documents are not attachments.

But in the way you implemented it , attachements are documents, if you like it or not (i don’t). When i browse through a vault i see lots of documents with names that doesn’t make sense and that makes the ui less usable. Most of these files where attachements and i will never search for them because they are not my entry point. That was the original record

• When i browse through a vault i see lots of documents with names that doesn’t make sense

They can be renamed:

The name at the top is what will show up in the "related items" section of other items. :)

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

"They can be renamed"- this just adds another step to a (I believe) convoluted process. Having the option of having both documents and attachments with their appropriate actions would satisfy both worlds, I would think.

Regarding your com
    'ent about attachments being disconnected from the record when moving between local vaults. I never experienced that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51 - thanks for the suggestion and perspective. There are changes coming to the way Documents and links in 1password.com accounts are handled, and I don't disagree that "having both Documents and attachments with their appropriate actions would satisfy both worlds" for many people. The question for us is - as it usually is - for how many users would it satisfy their needs? (Re)creating attachments as something separate from Documents is a non-trivial amount of work, considering this has now to be done not only on the 1password.com server backend, but across four platforms as well as the 1Password X extension. That isn't to say we won't do it, but rather to indicate that the amount of work required has to be balanced against the available developer hours and what other priorities would need to be slowed or abandoned in order to do this, along with what other concerns doing this would cause in terms of cognitive load and UI/UX clutter/confusion for users who don't have your desire/need for both Documents and Attachments. Long story short: I've nothing specific to announce on it at the moment but we are not saying no outright

• RyanE
    RyanE
    Community Member

Every month or so I return to this thread hoping there has been an update :(
    Would love to see this hasnt been forgotten and can be improved in 2020 atleast.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RyanE - I don't have any new updates or timelines to share with you, not because this has been forgotten but because we're not in the habit of announcing timelines or dates-certain for anything, since multiple factors, some outside of our control, can have a significant impact on when new features or even bug fixes will be ready. Thanks for your continued interest, however! Keep an eye on updates and their associated release notes for news of progress on this and other issues, as we also aren't in the habit of updating every forum thread that references a particular topic, when something changes. Thanks! :)

• trammel
    trammel
    Community Member

So, I'm using 1PasswordX on Linux and 1password.com, and I wanted to attach an photo of a software license key to a software license key item.

I spent quite a while trying to find the "Attachment" category, attempting to drag & drop items, etc, then search the web to find out this functionality that used to exist, isn't supported on 1password.com accounts, we have to use Documents.

So I create a Document, and start hunting for the "Link" button. Nothing on the 1PasswordX extension, check the website, and nothing there either.

This is a pretty broken situation. Could you simply bring back attachments? If I have my Passport photo literally as an attachment for my Passport information, that's fine. I don't need a separate document. Giving it a UUID is meaningless to me, as a user. 1 way links, 2 way links, I really don't care. I just want to add an image, as an attachment, next to the related item in the vault.

Is this possible with 1PasswordX or 1password.com?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@trammel - to be clear, Attachments still exist in standalone 1Password. But if you have a 1password.com account then yep, this is one of the few situations where you won't be able to link items. Apologies for the inconvenience. 1password.com accounts are what allow you to use 1Password X on Linux in the first place, and we switched to Documents because they have several advantages over direct attachments, but the linking functionality between items is available for the moment only in our native applications 1Password for Mac, 1Password for Windows and 1Password for iOS.

You can add Documents on 1password.com via the browser, but linking capability doesn't exist there yet either. It's something we'd like to roll out everywhere, but so far, you need a native 1Password app to link items. In the meantime, I'd recommend making sure you give each file you plan to upload as a Document a unique title that's easily recognizable and searchable, so you can find it quickly if you're in another item or the main All Items or Documents view. Things like Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 2.49.31 PM or image003 were never particularly helpful, and in this case, naming items before uploading them can help even more than usual. Thanks for your patience with us as we work to roll out linking functionality across all 1Password clients including our web app.

• larea
    larea
    Community Member

I agree that attachments and documents are different. I have historically used 1Password for two things - passwords and software license information. It is no longer a good tool for managing software license information. If I want to enter a software license, and attach the emails that came with it, the current functionality is nonexistent, it is easier to copy and past the information into the note or keep it elsewhere than to attach the emails. It was so great when you could just pull the email over into 1password. I don't want these attachments to be stand alone documents. I don't want to have to save them to a file on my computer to add and then delete them. I don't want these types of files to come up in the search window and I don't want to have to rename them and add them to multiple separate records. A stand alone document is completely different and should not be hidden among the attachments to software licenses. Maybe it's not such a big deal for some people but I have 120 software license entries in 1Password and most of them have the attachments with the license info. I now also have 115 documents with labels starting with phrases like "your receipt and license information" because most were added when we still had attachments. I would personally be very happy with the old way where we just had attachments and secure notes. If all entries were allowed to have attachments, you could just make a secure note entry for a doc and then attach it there. It is very frustrating when you set up your systems and then functionality is removed.

• Thanks for taking the time to let us know your perspective on this @larea. It'd be great to have the best of both worlds here. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.