1Password 7 for Mac issues

Options
rrnyc
rrnyc
Community Member

I just moved from 1Password 6 to 7, and I have a couple of issues:

1. When using the shortcut to fill in a log-in in a browser, the website used to move to the next page automatically after the email and password fields were filled. This was happening in 6, it doesn't happen in 7. I have to click the "Log In" button. Kind of an extra step I am not used with anymore. Any way to make it work again?

2. Is it possible to remove the warning about reused passwords? While I am aware of what this means, it's a really annoying message to look at and not being able to dismiss it.

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (70205002)
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: NA (using 1Password account)

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @rrnyc! I'm sorry for the troubles. New version are different from the older ones, sorry you've been caught on a couple things.

When using the shortcut to fill in a log-in in a browser, the website used to move to the next page automatically after the email and password fields were filled. This was happening in 6, it doesn't happen in 7.

I assume you're referring to auto-submit? If so, auto-submit has been retired (see this thread for explanation. If not, can you clarify what you were referring to? Thanks.

Is it possible to remove the warning about reused passwords?

Not with a tag or toggle preference, if that's what you mean. We've got a pretty strong belief that if 1Password detects the presence of the same password in use in more than one record, the user should be warned, as password re-use remains at the top of the list of potentially harmful attack vectors. We do know there are some not-so-edge cases that need to be addressed here, but I've nothing to announce on that score right now. Some additional recent discussion is here and in a few other threads here on the forum.

• rrnyc
    rrnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, sounds like I was referring to auto-submit. It's a shame it's gone, very useful and convenient feature. In my case, I was only using it to log in to websites.

For the warning: I understand the concept behind it. it would be useful to have a little x in the corner of that message, so we can at least close it. Even if it'll appear next time I open the app.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rrnyc - yeah, I kinda miss auto-submit as well. But here's the thing: it didn't always work. When it did, it was whiz-bang cool: just a click in the main 1Password for Mac window, and it would open your browser, fill the URL and visit the saved Login page, enter your data, and submit it, all without any further interaction from you. But if you'd saved the wrong URL in the Website field, or if the site had made changes, of a few other things, it could fail -- and it happened so fast that when it DID fail, it could leave things in an unstable state. Basically, we don't want to ever submit forms without your express intention to do so. And in the current auto-submit-less setup, ALL of the above still happens, with the sole exception that you now have to press "return" at the end (or click the Login button if you're a mouse-based person). I miss it sometimes too...but it wasn't perfect and it could cause problems when it didn't work correctly.

Regarding the warnings, I think you'll like some of the changes coming in 7.3. If you're not averse to using betas for mission-critical software like 1Password, you can join us on the bleeding edge by clicking Preferences > Updates and checking the "include beta builds" box, then performing a manual update check. Let us know what you think! :)

• rrnyc
    rrnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Great. Thanks, Lars. Will do!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.