How to toggle between "Search Major Fields" and "Search All Fields" in 1Password main app?

vicjang
vicjang
Community Member

By default, 1Password searches for text in the major fields only, and this can be changed with a button "Expand Search to All Fields" which shows up when a certain search term generates no results.

Alternatively, this setting can be changed in the 1Password mini's gear icon as shown below.

However, there doesn't seem to be a place where users could change this in the main app. I went through every tab in the preference page and the entire toolbar but couldn't find it anywhere.

This means that for someone who doesn't know about the aforementioned 1Password Mini option, they will be unable to go back to "Search Major Fields" after changing to "Search All Fields."

I believe this is an UI oversight, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you 1Password team.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@vicjang ... Click the little down arrow to the right of the magnifying glass. It's in there.

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member

@OAW Oh wow! Thanks! I gotta say it's pretty hard to notice haha.

• Glad @OAW was able to assist here. :+1: If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Mickwah
    Mickwah
    Community Member

Hi team — I was about to provide feedback for not having the 'search all fields' feature... turns out it's there already. I've used the app for years, wanted this feature for years, searched for the feature for years...

I completely agree that the implementation of this particular option sucks. There have been tooooooo many times that I've had to scroll one-by-one to through my list of entries to find what I'm after, because search didn't include notes etc; to the extent that I recently started putting too much info in the title just so it is searchable. Please please please include the ability to toggle this option in the preferences, and make the 3x5 pixels drop arrow larger and more obvious.

Other than this, I absolutely love the app and use it many many times daily. Thanks!

• Thanks for the feedback @Mickwah. :)

Ben

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@Ben So when Search Major Fields is selected ... exactly what fields are searched? I could have sworn this used to be Search Titles Only or something to that effect? Am I hallucinating? :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@OAW - titles, usernames, and websites are included in Search Major Fields.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@Lars Gotcha. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.