How can I open 1Password on a new iMac?

Options
pamfromtn
pamfromtn
Community Member

I have a new iMac. When I tried to open 1Password, I was not sure what my password is, so I clicked reset password. It told me to enter the password that opens my computer, but did not give me any blank or page to do that. Nothing happened after that. I have no idea what kind of account I have, but have had it for years.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: none
OS Version: MacOS Mohave 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pamfromtn: I'm not sure I follow. 1Password does not have a "reset password" button. Can you elaborate on what you're doing exactly, and what you're trying to accomplish? To be clear, unless you have subscribed to a 1Password membership (which has only been available for about three years), you will not have an account at all; you'll just be using the app on your device.

• pamfromtn
    pamfromtn
    Community Member
    Options

I must have a membership. Before purchasing my new Mac, 1Password was synced on two phones, and my old iMac. I certainly know my Master password, but if I ever had a key, I don't remember it. All I want to do is fix this. If I need to pay something, I am cool with that. I just want to know what to do. 1Password 7 is installed as an app on my new computer. Does that mean anything?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pamfromtn

Do you pay a monthly or annual subscription fee? Membership is a subscription service, so if you haven't been paying a subscription you wouldn't have a membership (which is totally possible).

If you have a membership...

I must have a membership.

If you do have a membership, then you have a Secret Key, which would be documented in your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If you don't have your Emergency Kit there are a couple of other places you may be able to find the Secret Key:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

If you do not have a membership...

Before purchasing my new Mac, 1Password was synced on two phones, and my old iMac. I certainly know my Master password

Is your data still on your phones? If so you can upgrade to a membership and migrate your data following these instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I'd recommend creating the membership in a web browser on your Mac. Please be sure to print a copy of your Emergency Kit when doing so.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.