Problem with Open-and-Fill for Edward Jones

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in the following sequence.

1. Open 1Password 7 for Windows.
  2. Go to my Edward Jones record.
    a. website 1 is set to https://accountaccess.edwardjones.com.
    b. website 2 is set to https://accountaccess.edwardjones.com/ca-logon/logon.action.
    c. Click on Open and fill for website 1. (The exact same things happens for website 2, also.)
  3. 1Password opens a new tab in Google Chrome with the very weird URL https://accountaccess.edwardjones.com/?onepasswdfill=lakjsdfljksdljflsjdflkjsdl&onepasswdvault=lsjkdlfjkdsljfklskjdldfkjs.
    a. Note that I changed the values for onepasswdfill and onepasswdvault; they are nonsense values.
  4. Unsurprisingly, the Edward Jones site is not happy. I basically get an error page that, in part, reads, "The page you have requested is currently unavailable. Please contact Online Client Support."

Only this sequence doesn't work; other sequences do work (like using 1Password X). I can't figure where the URL https://accountaccess.edwardjones.com/?onepasswdfill=lakjsdfljksdljflsjdflkjsdl&onepasswdvault=lsjkdlfjkdsljfklskjdldfkjs is coming from.

Any ideas?

I'm using Google Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit).

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1.14.3
OS Version: Windows 10 v1809
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SoKal,

The parameters onepasswdfill and onepasswdvault are being added by 1Password for Windows. The way open-and-fill worked for some time was 1Password would pass the URL to open to the operating system and the operating system would then pass it onto the default browser. We needed a way for the extension to know this came from 1Password so we add the two parameters to the query string (part of the URL). When the extension sees these it strips them off and uses them to kick start the fill action once the page has loaded. As 1Password X was initially designed to add support to platforms where we don't have a native application it doesn't interact with 1Password or the open-and-fill URLs 1Password passes. This will eventually change as we look to have 1Password X integrate with the native 1Password application if present but for now this integration is not there.

If you like the inline menu of 1Password X then you'll want to initiate all open-and-fill from the 1Password X interface. If you really want open-and-fill to work from the main 1Password window it would require our older extension, what I tend to refer to as the companion extension when trying to differentiate between it and 1Password X. It's basically a bridge between the browser and the 1Password application, devoid of any real intelligence and simply a way for 1Password to learn about the open page. It understands open-and-fill URLs and it will strip the extra details off of the URL before it loads meaning the site won't refuse to load due to the presence of the parameters. Both extensions are available for download on our "Downloads - 1Password" page.

If you run into any trouble please let us know.

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the detail explanation, @littlebobbytables. Quite interesting.

I really love the new "inline menu". I think it's a great step forward. I've only started using it, but it seems to be working quite well.

When I installed 1Password X, I assumed I should disable the "1Password extension" that I had been using. Are you suggesting I should have both running?

BTW, I really appreciate 1Password's support crew, from you to @brenty to @ag_ana to @bundtkate to @Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SoKal - thanks so much for the kind words! On behalf of all of us, we're happy to help, and we enjoy talking with you and the rest of the 1Password community of users! :)

I would avoid running both extensions at the same time, changes are made to both regularly, as well as to the main 1Password app, and we really don't design for the use-case that someone has both running because it just isn't necessary. So even if there weren't any problems for you right now, that could change at any time, and we likely won't be spending development or QA time trying to prevent such problems; our recommendation will remain to choose the most-appropriate one for your individual situation (or just the one you like most).

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

Very good. I will follow your advice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.