1Password 7: Is The Trial Version Limited Feature-Wise? Example: Editing Log-In Data

MrMojoOne
MrMojoOne
Community Member

Are any functions missing from the trial version? For example, the green "Edit" button that I am familiar with in v.6 is missing and I have been unable to find a way to edit data. . .

Same goes for entering log-in data at a website. Clicking the website name in the blue field doesn't work the same as before. I am reduced to copy-paste to input my username and password.

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: NONE

Comments

• Hi @MrMojoOne

The trial is not limited.

Same goes for entering log-in data at a website. Clicking the website name in the blue field doesn't work the same as before. I am reduced to copy-paste to input my username and password.

Have you installed the 1Password browser extensions in your web browsers?

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

For example, the green "Edit" button that I am familiar with in v.6 is missing and I have been unable to find a way to edit data. . .

It isn't green anymore, but it is there:

Does that help?

Ben

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

I installed the 1Password extension along with the trial version. After restarting Safari the 1Password icon appeared in the Safari toolbar. I rely on the Safari extension when using v.6. Perhaps the log-in question is related to my permissions issue (see below).

Regarding editing: The Edit button is not there and to the right of the website name there is a "Read-Only" button. (I never saw that in v.6!) When I click the button I get a pop-up "Welcome to 1Password 7" window listing the subscription features. . . That's one reason I assumed that the trial must be feature-limited.

It's as if my v.6 preferences did not transfer over to v.7, I am running a Team or Family version and my account has only been granted "Read-Only" access. As far as I can tell, I do not have access to the Permissions settings because I do not have a 1Password account and I would need that to change access in a web browser. Of course, that begs the question why I am having a problem with gaining permission to access my own Primary Vault. I have not created additional vaults.

My previous 1Password was purchased from the App Store, in case that matters. Before that I had a Family License from the AgileBits store.

• I do not have a 1Password account

Ah. I believe this explains it. The only trial we offer with 1Password 7 is the 1Password membership account trial. Without an account, you're not on a trial. You can sign up for a membership trial following these instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Ben, how does it work if I choose to register a standalone license and retain my data on my Mac without having a copy on your server? Is there an option to not transfer my data to your server or delete the data at some point (after the trial period ends, for example).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrMojoOne - you'd need to first purchase a standalone license in order to do that. As Ben mentioned,

The only trial we offer with 1Password 7 is the 1Password membership account trial.

Read Only mode (indicated by the Read Only badge on all your items) means 1Password has not been authorized by payment: you don't have a license, and you don't have a 1password.com membership. When you click the Read Only badge, you'll see the Purchase Options screen. You can choose to purchase a standalone license instead of a subscription by clicking the link marked "Need a license? We have those too", like this:

You'll be taken to our FastSpring store, where you can purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac for the discounted price of $49.99 (over 23% off the retail price of $64.99). You'll then be able to use all of the features of 1Password 7 for Mac in standalone mode. Again, there is no trial of this method. If you want to use standalone, you'll need to purchase the license. Hope that helps clarify! :)

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

Since there is no clear notification that the 1Password 7 trial does not allow me to have the same level of access to my 1Password 6 data, I have no way of knowing that I would only have Read-Only access to my log-in credentials and other data stored in 1Password. If I had known that, I would have either set-up an account or skipped using the trial, since I rely on 1Password 6 every day and the trial version does not offer the full experience of a 1Password 7 standalone license anyway. If it had been made clear that I had the option to select either a subscription or standalone license after I was satisfied with my trial experience, I would have been happy to give the account features a try.

As a long-time and generally satisfied 1Password customer (going back to at least 1Password 3) I have some feedback regarding the trial version, the above-experience aside. . . There are simply too many instances when the "Welcome to 1Password 7" pop-up window appears, usually when I tried to do something with the software. Then there is another smaller pop-up window that appears randomly throughout the day, even when 1Password is not the front application. In a typical 8+ hour work day I see both pop-ups up to a dozen times.

Now is this really necessary? I am a returning customer and I'm using the trial version to see how well it works on my older Macs running OS Sierra (one of which will soon be upgraded to a new Mac running Mojave). I am already strongly motivated to upgrade. I do not need to be reminded over and over that I am using a trial version and that you would like me to buy a license. I have found it very annoying, particularly when I am trying to learn the changes in how the program works, try out the new features and then get it to do what I want.

I wonder how often all of the unnecessary pop-up windows turns-off brand new customers? I am going to recommend that a friend demo 1Password but I am compelled to warn her that the experience includes a disconcerting number of pop-windows throughout the day. This kind of hardcore up-selling is not at all helpful when trying to convince an unsophisticated computer owner to invest a not inconsequential amount of money in a password manager program that many people already consider to be a questionable expense. (WE know that 1Password is more than simply a place to store passwords but THEY do not.)

In the old days when there was a lot of "shareware" and direct developer-to-customers sales we had a name for this kind of thing: Nagware. Simply let the features of 1Password along with the convenience of having user data safely stored in one app to sell the software. A prompt when we open 1Password and another when we shut down is more than enough. The utility of the software will speak for itself.

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

Since there is no clear notification that the 1Password 7 trial does not allow me to have the same level of access to my 1Password 6 data, I have no way of knowing that I would only have Read-Only access to my log-in credentials and other data stored in 1Password. If I had known that, I would have either set-up an account or skipped using the trial, since I rely on 1Password 6 every day and the trial version does not offer the full experience of a 1Password 7 standalone license anyway. If it had been made clear that I had the option to select either a subscription or standalone license after I was satisfied with my trial experience, I would have been happy to give the account features a try.

• @MrMojoOne

that the 1Password 7 trial

There is no 1Password 7 trial. There are only 1Password membership trials. 1Password membership includes 1Password 7. Beyond that you're just using the product without a license, which will result in a significantly reduced feature set.

If it had been made clear that I had the option to select either a subscription or standalone license after I was satisfied with my trial experience, I would have been happy to give the account features a try.

Do you have any suggestions for how we could make the welcome screen more clear that signing up for a membership or purchasing a license are the options?

Ben

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

As a long-time and generally satisfied 1Password customer (going back to at least 1Password 3) I have some feedback regarding the trial version, the above-experience aside. . . There are simply too many instances when the "Welcome to 1Password 7" pop-up window appears, usually when I tried to do something with the software. Then there is another smaller pop-up window that appears randomly throughout the day, even when 1Password is not the front application. In a typical 8+ hour work day I see both pop-ups up to a dozen times.

Now is this really necessary? I am a returning customer and I'm using the trial version to see how well it works on my older Macs running OS Sierra (one of which will soon be upgraded to a new Mac running Mojave). I am already strongly motivated to upgrade. I do not need to be reminded over and over that I am using a trial version and that you would like me to buy a license. I have found it very annoying, particularly when I am trying to learn the changes in how the program works, try out the new features and then get it to do what I want. I wonder how often all of the unnecessary pop-up windows turns-off brand new customers? I am going to recommend that a friend demo 1Password but I am compelled to warn her that the experience includes a disconcerting number of pop-windows throughout the day. This kind of hardcore up-selling is not at all helpful when trying to convince an unsophisticated computer owner to invest a not inconsequential amount of money in a password manager program that many people already consider to be a questionable expense. (WE know that 1Password is more than simply a place to store passwords but THEY do not.)

In the old days when there was a lot of "shareware" and direct developer-to-customers sales we had a name for this kind of thing: Nagware. Simply allow the features of 1Password along with the convenience of having user data safely stored in one app to sell the software. A prompt when we open 1Password and another when we shut down is more than enough. Let the utility of the software speak for itself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really sorry for the confusion. As mentioned previously, there is no "trial version" of 1Password 7. You can get a trial of a 1Password membership. Local vaults are read-only without a valid license or membership. Since it's how most people expect 1Password to work -- seamlessly across all their devices -- 1Password memberships is what we promote. We've tried it your way, and that resulted in a lot more confusion and frustration, when people bought a license for a specific app and then expected it would apply to entirely different versions.

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

"Local vaults are read-only without a valid license or membership."

That is what I needed to know before I installed the trial version. If the information is available on either webpage where you detail the two Personal and Family subscription plans or the following webpage that loads when someone clicks the button reading "Try 1Password FREE" I have been unable to locate it. As a long-time customer with a standalone license that preexisted your move to subscription plans, I did not expect that by demoing the 1Password 7 version that I would be completely locked-out of my local primary vault. Why can't that information be displayed for the benefit of customers like me? It could be made available in any number of places, including during the installation process itself. Then I would know that I need to set-up an account or forgo trying the current version of 1Password.

"As mentioned previously, there is no "trial version" of 1Password 7. You can get a trial of a 1Password membership."

Nowhere on your homepage nor the following two webpages that I have previously referred to is there any reference to a "trial" anything, including a "trial membership." On your homepage it only features a button in the upper right-hand corner that reads "Try 1Password FREE." Ditto the following webpage. So yes, technically-speaking there is nothing about a "trial version." Nor is there a reference to a "trial membership" either, simply "Try 1Password FREE." Shame on me for assuming that "Try 1Password FREE" is the functional equivalent of a "trial version." Do you really intend to dismiss my "confusion" based on semantics? Is there really no reasonable way that you can avoid confusing both new customers and returning customers without alienating either group?

Rest assured that I understand now and I am no longer confused. . . I don't think that there is anything more for me to gain from continuing my participation on this support thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Indeed, "trial" is the noun form of the verb "try". So when you choose to "Try 1Password free" and sign up for an account, you're using a free trial of that 1Password membership. But regardless of what you do, there is no way for you to get "completely locked-out" of your data: without paying, whether you're using a local vault or an account, just read-only. I guess we could include all of this additional semantic text on the website, but I have difficulty believing that would be less confusing to people, regardless of whether they're new to 1Password or not. But it's something we'll continue to evaluate along with the feedback we receive from everyone. Take care. :blush:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

In addition to what brenty said, there's also this:

I did not expect that by demoing the 1Password 7 version that I would be completely locked-out of my local primary vault.

Let me try to be as clear as possible here for the benefit of not just you, but anyone else reading this thread: you aren't locked out of your Primary vault.

Neither were you offered a "demo" of 1Password 7 for Mac as a standalone app, and you weren't "automatically upgraded" to a version that you couldn't use without paying for it.

But, most important things first: your data. Your data is yours and we never "lock you out" of it, especially for something like payment issues. Your existing data remains right now where it has always been, fully usable in 1Password 6 for Mac in the way you're accustomed to using it. You could/can resume access to your data by re-installing the version you've paid for - 1Password 6 for Mac - at any time, and pick up right where you left off. There is no ransomware or "tricks." The only thing you (or indeed any user) are "locked out of" is being able to use the 1Password 7 for Mac app without either purchasing a license or signing up for a membership (which does have a trial).

Any user, new or existing, who visits the front page of 1password.com and clicks the Try 1Password Free banner at the top of 1password.com will be taken directly to the pricing page for 1password.com memberships (individual, family or business). That page explains differences in memberships briefly and includes links to choose a trial of any of those memberships. It does not mention any trial or demo of specific 1Password apps for any platform because there aren't any such things. Any user who lands on that page and then decides "no, I don't want a membership," would have to close that page (or use the back button) and then go looking specifically for our downloads page, before they'd even be able to get themselves into a state such as the one you were in when you wrote your initial post. Even if one's copy of 1Password 6 for Mac is from the Mac App Store instead of from us, the new 1Password 7 for Mac is an entirely new version there (our first completely separate, new version ever in the Mac App Store). It is not offered as an in-app "update" to the existing 1Password 6 for Mac (unless one has a membership) because it's a separate SKU in the Mac App Store, and it's not even offered as a standalone product there anymore.

In short, whether using the Mac App Store or our own website, a user has to take more than one intentional step to try to "demo" something (the 1Password 7 app) that's never offered nor available as a separate trial/demo. And to remove the "Read Only" restriction that appears when trying to "demo" the 1Password 7 app for which no separate, standalone demo is offered, a user can either a) revert to their current version by quitting and uninstalling version 7, then re-installing version 6, b) subscribing to a 1password.com membership or c) purchasing a standalone license for version 7.

This discussion has been closed.