Search not working for new items added in the Mac OS Version 6.8.8. Mac App Store

amosses
amosses
Community Member

Hello,

When I add new items to 1Password on my Mac the items are not searchable. They are searchable on my iPhone version of 1Password and the items are visible if I scroll through the list of all items on the Mac Version..they just are not searchable.

I have optimized the DB, exited and closed 1Password, rebooted the Mac but nothing seems to fix it. It has been like this for several months was thinking initially it was a bug that would be fixed with an update but that has not happened.

Thanks for the assistance!

Andrew

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:search not working

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amosses! Welcome to the forum!

Before we dig deeper, can you first update your 1Password app to version 6.8.9, so we are on the latest version?

Do you see the same behavior after the update?

• amosses
    amosses
    Community Member

Hello,

How do I do an update? I bought the app through the Mac app store and I checked the mac store and it is not showing any updates available. I also looked for a manual update option from the menus and don't see anything.

Thanks

Andrew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amosses: Thanks for clarifying. The old version is no longer listed, so you'd need to install the most recent versions of 1Password 6 from your App Store purchase history:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

Make sure you don't have multiple copies of 1Password, and in fact just drag any copies to the Trash (DO NOT use a "cleaner" app) and restart your Mac before installing a fresh copy from your App Store purchases.

If you're still having trouble, it would be helpful to know some specifics so we can try to reproduce what you're reporting: what are you searching for exactly, and where does that text exist in the items in question (title, URL, notes, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

• amosses
    amosses
    Community Member

I followed your instructions and I now have version 6.8.9 installed, however, the problem still persists.

The problem I'm having is once I create a new LOGIN or any other data type I'm unable to search for that item using the name I gave the login. For example if I create a new login called test nothing comes up in the search box if I type test, even if I have search box set to search all fields.

In doing this just now I notice there are some older items I created that don't come up in search either so the problem is not isolated to just newer items, the issue impacts all types of items regardless of creation date. I don't see any common denominator as to which logins, credit cards etc that will show up in search vs those that do not.

Thank you for all your assistance!

Andrew

• amosses
    amosses
    Community Member

Just wanted to add, I have no issue doing the search on my iPhone. For the test item I just created using 1Password on the mac I'm able to search for it successfully on my iPhone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@amosses - can you take a screenshot of what you’re seeing? Please include the search bar you’re using to search. You can post it in a reply here.

• amosses
    amosses
    Community Member

Sure. I attached two screenshots, one where I do a search for a test item named "April" where the only item returned is my AWS account. The second screenshot is just showing that April really does exist in the list. I had the search box set to search on ALL fields. If I change the search box to search on title only "April" there is no change in the search results.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@amosses - hmmm, I'm not sure why that would be. I'd recommend restarting 1Password 6 for Mac - you'll need to Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Give that a whirl and see if you're able to search afterwards.

I'm unable to replicate this behavior on 1Password 7 for Mac, which means either something was fixed in the upgrade from version 6 to version 7, or it's something specific to your device. Try clicking the magnifying glass to the left of the search bar and changing to "Search All Fields" and see whether that returns the result you're hoping for.

• amosses
    amosses
    Community Member

I followed your instructions to quit 1Password and relaunched it, I'm still having the same results. I do have the "search all fields" selected. I don't have any issue with doing a search on my iPhone and finding anything, I also tried optimizing the database.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@amosses - hmmm. With that kind of inconsistent behavior, I'd suggest following these instructions to FULLY remove 1Password and all its data. Once you've done that, make sure you empty the trash and then restart your Mac. Ensure that iCloud is set up properly on this Mac, and then visit our downloads page and scroll down to the "Using an older computer?" section, and get a new installer of 1Password 6 for Mac (6.8.9). Or, if your copy was from the Mac App Store previously, then open the "Purchases" section -- which, in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) is done by clicking your name in the lower-left of the main window, and locating your previous purchase/download of 1Password 6 for Mac and install from there. On first-run, choose "Sync using iCloud," which will pull in your existing 1Password database from iCloud. Let me know how that goes for you.

• amosses
    amosses
    Community Member

That resolved the issue! Everything working perfect now.

Thank you for all of your assistance,

Andrew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Lars, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.