Difference in Website Login Characteristics

BenBob
BenBob
Community Member

Trying to learn how to use 1Password. Using only the 1Password 7 app and Safari browser. I thought I read that it was basically 1 click on a saved login and you would be taken to the website, credentials filled in, and bingo you are logged in. I have created 3 logins and all 3 act differently:

1) Click open & fill and it goes to website, then you have to click that websites login to get to another page in order to enter credentials, then you have to click 1Password again and click fill, and then you click login again to get into the website.

2) Click open & fill and it takes you to website and fills user name only, then click fill and it puts in password, then you click login again to get into website.

3) Click open & fill and it goes to the website and fills in user name and password, then you click login and you are in the website.

Is this normal and why the difference?

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: OS 10.14.4
Sync Type: ???

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@BenBob - hi again. :) There's a great wealth of support information already laid out in easy-to-follow format over at our main 1Password support site -- much of it with either screenshots or videos, to assist. That's often a great way to learn about basic 1Password features and get answers to questions without having to wait for one of us to answer you here.

I thought I read that it was basically 1 click on a saved login and you would be taken to the website, credentials filled in, and bingo you are logged in.

No. Auto-submit has been retired in 1Password 7 for Mac due to changes made by Apple in Safari 12, which ships natively with macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). Everything else should work more-or-less as you describe, but 1Password will no longer submit Login forms for you automatically. You'll need to press Return or click the Login button after filling.

Is this normal and why the difference?

"Normal" isn't really worth running down because of the differences in the way pages act. But the discrepancy is likely accounted for primarily or even completely by how the item was saved. In your #1 example, it sounds as if you saved the main page, not the sign-in page. For Go & Fill to work, you have to save in the 1Password Login item the exact URL of the sign-in page. This is why we recommend people allow 1Password to capture sign-in details via the extension instead of using the plus (+) button to create Login items: because humans will input https://amazon.com, which is NOT Amazon's sign-in page. What I'd recommend you do for all three of these Login items is make sure you have the credentials written down, then trash the records and use these instructions to re-save the items. Allowing 1Password to save the items ensures that it captures ALL of the data required by the form, in the correct way and the correct order. I think you'll find items saved that way will work much more uniformly (not to mention correctly). If not, however (and sometimes a regular save doesn't get the job done, based on the way the page is coded), you may need to manually save the login instead. But between those two methods, you should get pretty reliable behavior out of 1Password.

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Thank you very much again Lars. I have been reading a lot of the support page to avoid posting questions but again thank you for your time. I guess I had not seen anything yet regarding the retiring of features in 1Password 7 and Safari 12 but I wasn't surprised because I had seen the same characteristics when using Roboform. I think I created my recent logins as you describe for Go & Fill to work but I will recheck to make sure.

I am becoming more used to 1Password and am impressed and pleased so far.

Again thanks for the help!

Cheers!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BenBob - definitely let us know if something isn't working the way you understand it should. That's what we're here for. And thanks for the kind words, we're glad you like 1Password! :)

This discussion has been closed.