Password Generator Improvements

Similar to the post here I would like to see the "Words" password generator have additional options for capitalization and adding a random number string. Just using lower case letter and a symbol does not typically meet the password requirements on web sites. Even your own web based password generator has the capitalization option. I would like to see this option in the App as well as the option to add numbers.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @crackingtoast,

Albeit very slowly, we are trying to bring consistency to the likes of the password generator across the various clients. Whether that means the option to capitalise the word based generator will come to 1Password for Mac or its removal from the website version I'm unsure.

From my own personal experience I assume that for most passwords generated use the random password option. The words generator is more for those few occasions where you may need to remember a password outside of 1Password even if it is also stored there. Again, this is just my own preference but if I don't need to remember a password I'm not using the words generator, I much prefer the extra entropy from the more compact password generated by the random option.

I mention this because I'm not sure I really understand the desire to add more options to the word generator. Why should that matter? Any change stands a better chance if we can advocate for it which means understanding the need. If I already get why something would be an improvement that's easy but where it becomes more critical is when it's something I've never personally desired so lack the understanding.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Here's the one example I have run into.

I want to remember the password for my Apple ID, as there are occasions when I can't use 1PW for it (and even when I use 1PW, it has to be by copy and paste).

And the Apple ID password is required to use at least one upper case character.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Thank you for the feedback @danco!

ref: apple-3544

• KishoreBhargava
    KishoreBhargava
    Community Member

On the same lines, I would suggest more options for the "word" password generator as they are certainly easier to remember and are needed in many situations. My password for a laptop for example, while I do use touch ID on a Mac and the fingerprint option on Windows, each reboot requires the physical entry of the password and this is at the start. Yes, one can refer to the password on another device but entering it is another matter altogether.

Domain controllers also are being set for complex passwords and in many places when you have to enter it, the app is not accessible.

Cheers...Kishore

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @KishoreBhargava!

• TheKojukinator
    TheKojukinator
    Community Member

I would like to add my support to this thread. I just adopted 1Password and love it so far. However, the "word" password generator is making me a little bit sad, because I'm coming from using http://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/

I would love to have the options to:

• Make First Letter Uppercase.
    • Allow for separator to be blank, so combined with above option I'd get a CamelCase style password.

• Alternatively, allow for a text field so we can type in our own separator, or leave it blank.
    • Append numbers to the end. Some account systems still want these, even if passwords are long phrases.

Thanks!

Steve

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @TheKojukinator! Thanks for the feedback on this topic. We don't have anything to announce on it just yet, but keep an eye on updates and their associated release notes for news of new features/improvements of this type. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.