Wifi Password with iOS AutoFill

Mercurio
Mercurio
Community Member

Device:
iPhoneX. iOS 12.0.1

Scenario:
I am trying to join a new wifi location and it prompts for a password. I clicked on the AutoFill to select my password from 1Password App. The wifi password is stored in the wifi category. However the AutoFill does not display password from the wifi category.

Problem:
Is it possible to change the category when the AutoFill pops up?

1Password Version: ios 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 12.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mercurio: Unfortunately iOS 12 Password Autofill does not have any notion of "categories" like 1Password does. It matches solely based on URL...and of course Wi-Fi networks do not have URLs associated with them. You'd need to open 1Password and copy the password there in order to paste it when logging into a Wi-Fi network.

• Mercurio
    Mercurio
    Community Member

Is it possible for wifi passwords to also appear in the list? I notice the list in AutoFill shows all my logins and passwords.

The wifi category is however omitted from the list. I don't mind searching (e.g typing the first few letters on the search bar) to filter the list. As of now this is not possible as the wifi category is not listed at all. Thus even if the matching algorithm fails, I can still manually filter the AutoFill list via the search bar to select the correct entry.

Opening 1Password app is currently what I do. However it just feel cumbersome to break the workflow as I have been too accustom to the AutoFill feature. :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mercurio: The iOS 12 Password Autofill feature supports only standard login credentials (username/password) with an associated URL. It isn't possible to use other items saved in 1Password. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the new feature -- me too! Hopefully we don't become so dependent on it that opening 1Password occasionally becomes too much of a hardship though. ;)

• davipt
    davipt
    Community Member

@brenty apologies for reusing this thread, as maybe it's already implemented on 1password, but if you look at apps like WiFiMap, they can auto populate WiFi networks on iOS 12, transparently. When we go to WiFi settings, the ones WiFiMap knows the password, will show "WiFiMap" as a second line below the WiFi network, and touching it will login automatically - WiFiMap populated it in the background. So there's a new API on iOS 12 for this. As it's now possible, could you implement it on 1password? thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davipt! Welcome to the forum!

if you look at apps like WiFiMap, they can auto populate WiFi networks on iOS 12, transparently.

Just to make sure I understand: is this popup from WiFiMap showing directly under iOS Settings > Wi-Fi? Do you happen to have a screenshot of this?

Thank you!

• davipt
    davipt
    Community Member

Yes, directly on the WiFi picker. Entries with the name below will be one-click, because the app populates the password underneath. The app can't connect to the wifi network directly, obviously. We still need to click on the network. But there's not even copy/paste of passwords at all.

• Without being familiar with WiFiMap specifically it appears it may be using an iOS Configuration Profile to accomplish this. I don't know that is something we'd be willing to get into but it is an interesting approach. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• thebrant
    thebrant
    Community Member

iOS 12.4 doesn't allow me to paste a password into the wifi setup dialog, so the switch apps + search + copy-paste option doesn't work either.
    All around this thread has a "there's a way, sorrynotsorry it's clunky, don't be lazy, user" vibe, which is discouraging. This is a super common workflow, and this attitude doesn't seem in keeping with the strong usability ethos we expect from 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback @thebrant!

iOS 12.4 doesn't allow me to paste a password into the wifi setup dialog, so the switch apps + search + copy-paste option doesn't work either.

You might want to consider upgrading to the latest version of iOS and see if that helps: I have just tried pasting into the wifi setup dialog on iOS 13.2.3 and I was able to paste there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thebrant: To be clear, we don't have any control over what iOS does and doesn't allow/support. But like Ana I have been able to do that for a while, so it's likely there's a way for you to as well. You'd need to contact Apple for help though, as that isn't something we can can fix for you:

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Anyway, I'll close this discussion because it's incredibly old and not something we are able to help with, since it involves other people's software.

This discussion has been closed.