Sync via iCloud works with old an new master password!?

fleupold
fleupold
Community Member

The situation is the following: I have been using 1Password 6 for Mac and iOS for while and synchronized the primary vault via iCloud. The master password was the one I set at the beginning and was the same on both devices.

Now I have upgraded to 1Password 7 on macOS, set a new master password, and set up syncing via iCloud again. All of my password data is in on both devices. What puzzles me now is that I am using the same vault on the two devices, but with the new master password on macOS and the old one on iOS. I am sure that syncing works because I find password data I create on macOS also on iOS.

How can this be? Should the vault not be encrypted with ONE master password?

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (macOS); 7.3 (iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Hi @fleupold!

All of my password data is in on both devices. What puzzles me now is that I am using the same vault on the two devices, but with the new master password on macOS and the old one on iOS.

A vault can only have one Master Password, so what you are seeing is probably explained by having more than a single vault.

If you go to All Vaults view on both apps, what do you see there? Is the list the same on both devices?

• fleupold
    fleupold
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana!

I actually might not understand how vaults are managed. What I know for a fact is:

• There is one vault on iCloud, named "Primary".
    • On both, macOS and iOS, I only have data stored in this vault.
    • When I open 1Password on macOS I insert a password into the field "Enter you Master Password".
    • When I open 1Password on iOS another password into the field "Master Password".
    • New login and password datasets on macOS are synced to iOS, and vice versa.

So this poses a few questions:
    1. Is the password I insert on opening 1Password on macOS or the one I use on iOS the master password of the vault "Primary"?
    2. Or are both passwords rather passwords to open the respective app than "master passwords" of a specific vault?
    3. Does 1Password data on iCloud belong to a specific vault? Is it encrypted at all?

Thanks for your clarifications in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fleupold: If you setup each device separately, you'll have a different Master Password for the vault you're using on each. The app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there. Local vaults are encrypted using the Master Password you set. 1Password Account data is encrypted using the Master Password and Secret Key.

This discussion has been closed.