Credit Card Autofill Fills Contact Phone Number

I have the contact numbers that are on the back of my credit card saved in 1password, in case I lose the card or need to call customer support.

However, often times when I'm filling forms, it will replace my phone number (often requested with shipping information) with the number saved for the credit card.

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? I'm using 1Password X 1.12.3 on Firefox.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hey @blimmer! :)

When filling, 1Password X does its best to fill all the fields within a form with the information that you have on the item. In this case, I assume that we identify that phone field as being related to your credit card information. Do you have a specific site where you know that happens? I'd love to test it out and see if there's something we should be doing differently.

If there's any information that you don't want to be filled, I'd suggest keeping it under the Notes section of your Credit card item, as we never try to fill those. https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=discussion/99097/credit-card-autofill-fills-contact-phone-number

• blimmer
    blimmer
    Community Member

Good call - I'll move it to notes for now. I don't remember the sites off the top of my head, but I can report back the next time it happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We're here if you need us. :)

• fritzophrenic
    fritzophrenic
    Community Member

I have a specific site this happens on, it drives me bonkers! I may try the "notes" trick but it would be much nicer if I could just mark specific fields as "never use for filling" or something. Here's the site, not sure if you can get a test login or something:

https://www.sendmoneytoschool.com/Store/Checkout.aspx?payment=credit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, and the specific example! It's not something that's possible with 1Password today, but perhaps in the future. In the mean time, if you use 1Password to fill first it won't clear out anything you'd filled already, and you can make any adjustments as needed. :)

• olwa
    olwa
    Community Member

I have the same problem when using booking.com. The bank's phone number fills in as my phone number. And if i'm not aware of this the wrong phone number is registered.

• Hey @olwa - Thanks for sharing this site with us ❤️. As far as I know, unless we could rely on every site that had a contact form and credit card/bank form on the same page to label the phone number fields a very specific way in their code, I'm not sure there's a viable solution for this on our end. In the meantime, the best I can offer is Brenty's suggestion to use 1Password to fill your bank's information before entering your own - That way you'll be able to catch any phone number fields you didn't want filled. Alternatively, if you never expect to fill your bank's phone number or that from your credit card, moving that information into the Notes section of the credit card or bank Login item in 1Password as Sebastian suggested will ensure that phone number is never filled.

That being said, I've not given up on the possibilities here and have filed an issue with my team so we can take a deeper dive and see if there is indeed something we can do here.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#520

• olwa
    olwa
    Community Member

Thank you, I have moved the number to Notes section. In Booking.com, my data is filled in automatically when I'm logged in. Therefor my phonenumber is always filled in before any credit card information is filled in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! :) :+1:

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member

I've experienced this problem myself, and I can provide some more example URLs if you need. In my mind, it's kind of related to a feature request I posted recently; "Prevent overwriting filled fields with form fills"

...but I agree that it would be nice to mark a field as "never auto-fill" or something :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Easier said than done, but I also agree that would be preferable. :)

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member

I would also like to bump on this that I am seeing this issue too. I know that this is the 1Password X section, but since I couldn't find a thread about this anywhere else, I felt it was worth noting here. I am seeing this on 1Password Windows 7.3.684 with standard Firefox plugin 4.7.3.90, so this is not limited to 1Password X. I can of course start a thread over in another section too if needed, even though it would seem to be the same issue.

Incidentally, this is a new problem for me. This wasn't happening until recently, despite the fact that I've had the bank's phone number in the credit card data for years and years, so I would have to assume something has changed in 1Password itself, perhaps with the fill brain, I think you call it.

I'm somewhat in disagreement about the ability to mark a field as "never autofill" though. Considering that the Credit Card object's phone number is always the bank (I mean, that's the pre-created section it's in and everything!) and should never be your own phone number (that's what Identities are for!), I don't really think we need the ability to mark a field as never auto-fill or not. Quite simply, I don't think this field should ever be considered for autofill in the first place. And it wasn't until recently.

Aside from address, Identities is where your phone number generally comes from for autofill. So now Identity and Credit Card are in conflict for phone number.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mousit: Thanks for chiming in. I believe this is fixed in a newer version of the filling Brain, which is currently not yet available in the Windows app. But I've filed an issue to make sure we test against this specifically with future Windows releases just to be sure some other change isn't necessary in the app itself. Cheers! :)

ref: opw/opw#3930

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member

I just want to chime in here about this problem, since @brenty said that it may be fixed? I've experienced this before in previous versions of 1PX, but I hadn't seen it for a while until just tonight when I was booking a hotel on Hotels.com - I hit "autofill" for my credit card details, and the card's contact number overwrote my own phone number that had already been filled out.
    I still don't think anybody would ever want autofill to overwrite a field they just filled out, and I also don't think anybody would ever want to autofill their bank's contact number. If it's been marked as fixed on your end, I hope we can re-open the issue and give it another look! Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@marshall_stacks: Sorry for the trouble, and for any confusion I caused. The good news is that I believe we do have a solution for this. The bad news is that it is not available to users yet, and will need to be tested along with other changes before release. Hopefully we'll have better news for you in the near future.

ref: xplatform/brain#126, xplatform/filling-issues#489

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member

Thanks for clarifying! I'm excited to see what you come up with!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, we want 1Password to fill more to be even more useful, but there are some areas where doing so can be tricky. Thanks for your patience while we continue to improve it! :)

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member

I'm still experiencing this problem in a lot of places. I can provide some more specific examples if you need :) I was just reminded, because it happened again a few minutes ago.

Of course, this whole issue would be moot if 1Password X would allow us to specify "don't use this field for autofill" - and more importantly - never let autofill overwrite fields I've already typed in
    Still hoping for that option! Cheers!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@marshall_stacks:

Specific examples are always very helpful :) Please feel free to share the URLs with us so we can test them :+1:

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member

Sure, I encounter this fairly often but the most recent one today was here:
    https://www.victoriafilmfestival.com/checkout/ (add something to your cart like a donation to get to the checkout page)
    Fill in some shipping details, then use autofill for a credit card with "contact information" (phone numbers for the issuing bank) and marvel at 1password undoes your hard work :P It might happen "above the fold" so you won't notice it happened, but scroll up to where you put in your phone number and notice that it now changed to the bank's phone number. I wish it wouldn't overwrite fields I have manually typed out, but at least it turns blue now!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

@marshall_stacks:

Thank you! I confirm that I managed to reproduce this behavior on that page, so I will add your feedback to the ongoing discussion with the developers :)

ref: dev/core/filling-issues#520

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

This happens to me all the time too. I'm pretty sure that I have never been asked for my credit card company's phone number, but I get asked for my own phone number all the time.

If it were up to me, I'd suppress auto-fill for credit card phone numbers entirely. The only reason why I enter them into my vault at all is so that if I lose my card I still have the number to call to report it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience as well @alanhoyle :+1:

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

This happens to me on basically every "checkout" page I come across where I fill in both my shipment information (address/phone), and the credit-card payment information on the same page (i.e. without a "submit" between the two steps).

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

Here's an example retailer: https://chapelhill.phydeaux.com/store/go/checkout/

Not only does autofill replace my phone number with the credit card company's number, but it also puts the credit card number both in the proper place and the "gift card" field.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @alanhoyle! I'll add your report to our existing issue.

ref: dev/core/core#812

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

For the record, this is my only significant complaint about 1PX right now. It has been bothering me for months, but I just recently had some minor issues because it caused my CC's phone number to be registered as "my" phone number for a few retailer user accounts.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@alanhoyle – I completely understand, as I've run into the same issue. :frown:

The workaround I can think of off the top of my head is moving your credit card's phone number to the notes section of your Credit Card item. While I realize that's not a long-term solution, I figured it may give you some relief while we get this sorted. If you need any help with that, please let me know and I'd be happy to walk you through it.

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion @kaitlyn. Please update this thread when the problem is sorted out. Given that the issue was first reported 1.5 years ago, I think that might actually be counted as a "long term" solution. ;)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@alanhoyle – Will do! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.