Secret Key

I have 1PW-4 for Windows successfully installed a LONG time ago & using it with FireFox. I believe I have a standalone license. Trying to integrate it into Chrome and it is asking for a 'Secret Key'. Never set one up to my knowledge. I can log into the account with my master password - there are no "accounts" setup.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secret key withstandalone license

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Seacrest65: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device. You can either use the version of 1Password you already paid for with its browser extension, or if you'd like to make the transition to a 1Password membership to get all of the apps and updates and many other benefits we'll be happy to help to make the transition. Just shoot us an email at support@1password.com :)

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Thank you very much Brenty,
    I have added the 1PW extension to Chrome - I went to the 'extensions' and see it there. Also, I see the icon adjacent to the URL entry space.

• Double-Clicking on the 1PW icon does nothing,
    • Right-clicking on the 1PW icon and selecting the "1Passsword" in the drop-down does nothing,
    • Right-clicking on the 1PW icon and selecting the "Manage Extensions" takes me to an options panel has the "on all sites" selected but nothing about synchronizing the extension with my data.

I brought up Amazon.com in a tab and went to the sign In page. Double-Clicking on the 1PW icon does nothing there either.

How do I let the extension know that I have 1PW on my computer and where the vault is?

Thanks,
    Gerry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Seacrest65: I don't know what you're referring to. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Okay, thanks ...

Important note, on my machine I do have the 1PW application installed (has been for years) and my FireFox browser has the 1PW extension added and it works.

Here is a screen shot showing that the 1PW extension has been added to Chrome;
    It also shows that the 1PW icon in the upper right hand corner of Chrome (the "key-hole" icon):

This, I believes demonstrates that the Chrome 1PW extension has been successfully installed on my machine.

Here is a screen shot after having double-clicked on the 1PW Icon (IN FIRE FOX)

Problem: Double clicking on the 1PW Icon (IN CHROME) does nothing.

I cannot get a screen shot when "Right-Clicking" on the Chrome 1PW Icon since that dialog box disappears when I do a keystroke,

Here is what I see in the dialog box when right-clicking on the Chrome 1PW Icon-
    1Password extension (desktop app required)
    1Password **(clicking on this does nothing) **
    This can read and change site data
    Remove from Chrome
    Hide in Chrome menu
    Manage extensions (Clicking on this produces the image below)

So, what the problem appears to me to be is that the Chrome extension does not recognize that I do have the 1Password **application ** installed. I clearly do since I can access it directly in Windows and through the FireFox extension.

Is this indicated by the (desktop app required) notation when looking at the extension???

Thanks ever so much; I am trying to migrate away from FireFox to Chrome but I need 1PW to do this..

Regards,
    Gerry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Seacrest65: Thanks. I think maybe you just have Native Messaging disabled in the main 1Password app. Can you check that in Help > Advanced?

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Use Native Messaging Protocol IS checked

However, look @ the "Browser Preferences" ... it shows 1PW as being installed in FireFox (4.7.3.90)
    BUT not in Chrome

I clicked on the "install" in the 1PW application; closed & reopened the application and it still does not show Chrome as being installed.

Chrome is still not responsive to 1PW

Grin (or grimace) this shouldn't be this difficult; it is working in thousands of sites!

Thanks,
    =g=

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

it is working in thousands of sites!

@Seacrest65: Hold up. I'm not sure we're on the same page here then. I thought the problem that you're having is that you can't use 1Password in either of your browsers. Is that not correct? I'm sorry if I've misunderstood something.

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Sorry about the misconnect. It has been working in FireFox for years.

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Any suggestions as to why Chrome is not seeing my 1PW like my FireFox is?

• 1Password 4 won't work with Chrome any longer, @Seacrest65. Chrome changed their code signature with Chrome 72, so 1Password will no longer recognize it, but it will continue to work fine in Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave. If that matches your observations, that's expected. You can read more about this issue in this forum announcement.

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Thank you - this has been frustrating. Does the current 1PW application maintain the the vault in the cloud or on the host platform (PC, Smartphone...)?

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Per your forum link .... is 1PW Version 7 a standalone application like Version 4? Is Version 7 what you are currently offering as a subscription service?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Either. 1Password for Windows version 7 can be purchased separately, or you can get it along with all of the other apps and updates as part of a 1Password membership.

• Seacrest65
    Seacrest65
    Community Member

Thank you both !!!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Seacrest65,

On behalf of Brenty and Kate you are very welcome! :)

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.