Multiple dropbox vaults 1Password 7 : how to convert and sync ?

Options
snake626
snake626
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

Hello,

I did not find the answer to my specific requests on the forum and I hope you would be able to help out.
I have since long times 2 vaults synced on dropbox with 1Password PC/MAC/iOS and I happy with this way of working.
I changed my main computer yesterday and wanted to sync these vaults to my 1 Password (I do not have access to my old Mac anymore).

2 questions :

• How to convert the second vault to OPVault (Main one was converted when I opened the first time)
  • How to sync both vaults to dropbox

Some details :
First I was unable to find my old version of 1Password so I purchased a licence of the new version (no membership), that is ok because it was how I am used to work with your tool.
After I had issues to convert my main vault to the new mandatory OPVault format. I reinstalled 1Password and it asked to convert the main vault at first opening (I guess I missed it the first time), but my secondary vault was not converted. How can I do that ?

Same issue with sync, where can I add a second vault for dropbox sync (same dropbox account) ? I can create multiple Vaults on my computer without syncing them but I cannot add my second dropbox vault
How can I do this ?

How can I resolve these issues ?
Can I have a refund if these functionalities are not included in the licensed version of 1Password 7 ? **

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @snake626! If you've got your Primary vault already converted from Agile Keychain to OPVault and you want to do the same with a secondary vault, you'll want click File > Import and then choose the top option, "1Password Keychain." This will allow you to import and convert an older-style Agile Keychain.

Once that's done, you can use these instructions to sync both vaults with Dropbox. Let us know how you get on! :)

• snake626
    snake626
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice.
    I tried the method but I end up with a fusion of my two vaults and that is not the target. When importing a 1password vault it asks me to which vault I want to import it, but I do not want to import it into an existing vault but I want to keep it in a separate an be able to open both. Same way of working as what I am used to do wit my old version of 1Password.

Maybe I missed something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snake626: Ah, indeed, if you import both into the same vault that's what you'll get. You'll get the result you want if you select different vaults to import into in each case:

1Password just doesn't have any way of knowing where you want it to import unless you tell it. Let me know if that helps.

• snake626
    snake626
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi,

That point is clear to me, but I do just have 1 vault right now on 1Password

Context
    I changes my computer so I started from scratch with 0 vaults
    Step 1 is ok but somehow I lost myself on step 2 ! I do not remember having such issues with setting up previous versions in the past.

Step 1
    I opened 1Password 7 the first time : I was asked to open a vault, I choose Vault n°1 from dropbox and it was converted and opened in 1Password. It is also synced through Dropbox --> perfect
    At this step I have 1 vault in 1Password 7

Step 2
    I want to Open / Convert to OPVault / Keep in dropbox my second Vault.
    Basically do the same process as for Vault n°1 but for Vault n°2.
    I do not want to import it to another Vault, I do not need a third Vault or have to manage manually the passwords from synced Vault to non synced vault. I just need to open Vault n°2 in 1Password 7 so I can manage both vaults the way I have always done until now.

Other
    When I am on the Vault setup page in preferences I have no add button, or approaching options...

I can only add local vaults on the main page and not open an existing one...

The functionality missing is : File ==> Open Vault (or something alike based on translation from French and based on the PC version of 1Password 4 I am using)

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snake626: Ah I see. If I'm understand you correctly, and you just want to add additional vaults (which you already have in Dropbox) to 1Password, you just need to double-click them in Finder if they're OPVault. If they're AgileKeychain, you'll need to go to File > New Vault > New Standalone Vault to create a new one, and then File > Import > 1Password Keychain and select the destination vault to add the data. Does that help?

• snake626
    snake626
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I tried this and it worked well.
    back on the road with 1Password.

I can suggest to add the functionality : file --> open vault (and ask to convert if necessary at this moment) to a next update :) this would help other users I guess.

Many thanks for the help and the time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@snake626 - glad to hear you're all set! On behalf of both brenty and myself, you're quite welcome. Cheers! :)

ref: HHW-24456-396

• alexpearce92
    alexpearce92
    Community Member
    Options

For those wondering, this is now possible in 1Password 7.2.5 by navigating to your Dropbox vault file and opening it directly (tested with opvault format). This will add the vault to your 1Password app and setup the sync with Dropbox

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @alexpearce92. That was the solution back in July as well:

Ah I see. If I'm understand you correctly, and you just want to add additional vaults (which you already have in Dropbox) to 1Password, you just need to double-click them in Finder if they're OPVault. If they're AgileKeychain, you'll need to go to File > New Vault > New Standalone Vault to create a new one, and then File > Import > 1Password Keychain and select the destination vault to add the data.

:)

Ben

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

I have to admit that this is a very obscure answer. I've been a long time 1Password user and I assumed that I would import or add an existing vault that I had already synced to a new computer by going to File -> Add Vault, or File -> Import... but the former doesn't exist and the latter simply imports data to an existing vault.

Indeed, double-clicking to open the other vault thankfully works, but I would have expected to find the ability to add a vault via some menu command in the 1Password app itself. Instead I spent 5 minutes Googling the answer (minor, but still annoying, and I'm an advanced user).

Just my 2c!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your feedback @Chris Messina.

I assumed that I would import or add an existing vault that I had already synced to a new computer by going to File -> Add Vault

Indeed, you can also use this method if you prefer. Once you have created a new vault, you can configure it to sync it to Dropbox under 1Password Preferences > Sync tab as usual. But double clicking is a much quicker way to do the same thing ;)

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Right, but that's confusing. I almost did that, but was confused about what might happen if I created a new vault with the same name (and possibly different password) and then enabled sync for that vault. Would the new vault overwrite my existing vault? Or be merged? It wasn't clear... not as clear as a menu item like "Add Existing Vault..." would be.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, thank you again for the feedback :+1:

• Tabaluga
    Tabaluga
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I just now ran into the same issue that I haven't been able to add another already existing standalone vault and found this now after 10 minutes of searching the forums. Also the "just double click the vault functionality" didn't come to my mind. I was also searching the "open existing vault" menu entry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tabaluga:

Thank you for your feedback as well! Did double clicking work for you too?

This discussion has been closed.