Inconsistent Shortcut Key Behavior - Ctrl + \ (Control + backslash)

Options
Denis A
Denis A
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In the last few months since I converted to the latest version of 1Password and to Teams from a stand-alone product, I have been having inconsistent behavior from the 1Password extension for Chrome when invoking the shortcut keys "Ctrl + \".

Expected behavior, when invoking Ctrl+\, is to fill in the credential login blanks for the current web page UNLESS there are multiple log-in items for the root webpage in my 1Password vault. Formerly, the 1Password extension pop-up menu listing available log-in items for the current webpage would only pop-up when there were multiple items. This was formerly very consistent. If I only had one item in my 1Password vault database for the current web page, the blanks would be filled-in (except, of course, for those irritating web pages that are programmed to disallow "Paste In" or auto-complete of the credentials by any means).

Now, I am getting very inconsistent behavior when I invoke CTRL + . Often, even when there is only one item in the vault for the current web page, the extension causes the pop-up to appear INSTEAD OF filing in the credential blanks. Other times, it will work as I expect and fill in the log in credentials and NOT open the 1Password extension pop-up. This is a bit irritating and a waste of time - why open a pop-up with the list of items for the current web page, when there is only one choice in the vault and you do not need to tell the system which item to use - there is only one choice available.

Often then when I click on the single item in the extension pop-up list, 1Password will then ANOTHER TAB in Chrome and complete the credentials, leaving me with a stray/extra tab open of the log-in page "left behind," so to speak (although I do not think the stay page lives in any fear of abandonment 😉). Other times, the 1Password extension will work as expected and simply fill in the credentials blanks and NOT open the drop down list. I cannot find a pattern for what triggers the un-necessary pop-up INSTEAD OF the expected behavior of filling in the credential blanks.

Not the end of the world, but all those extra keystrokes to get the credentials blanks to fill in, gets very tedious. (Ctrl + \, list pop-ups, I either click to close the dialog and repeat "Ctrl + \" and then the blanks get completed OR I click on the single item in the drop down list and sometimes the blanks are simply filled in while other times, a new tabl is opened, the blanks filled in, and I have to go back and close the stray remaining tab. To me, the pop-up should NOT appear where there is only one item entry for the current web page; the credentials should simply be populated.

Are there some preference or options settings in 1Password that is causing this behavior?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
_Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
_OS Version: OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• This isn't intended behavior, @Denis A and sounds almost like 1Password is having trouble reading the page. The thing leading me down that path is the fact that you're sometimes seeing a new tab opened. If our phishing protection is triggered (i.e. – you try to fill your Google Login on a URL that doesn't match the domain saved for your item), this would be expected behavior. 1Password is trying to help you sign in to Google (what you wanted to do) but won't fill on a page that doesn't match. Of course, in your case, it sounds like the page does match and yet 1Password is behaving as though it doesn't.

I know you've not been able to find a particular trigger as yet, but have you noticed this happens more commonly on a particular site? Maybe more common when you first unlock 1Password or when you first open Chrome than when you've been using 1Password in your browser for a longer period? Do you have any other items that might match the domains where this happens that are either excluded from All Vaults or set not to show in your browser? Finally, next time you see this happen, could you double-check the URL of the item against the page you're filling on? Does it match exactly? Same domain, but some differences in the rest of the URL? Maybe a different subdomain? Anything you notice could help.

Thanks! :chuffed:

• Denis A
    Denis A
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

All very good information, especially the phishing protection aspect. And, no, I have not noticed a pattern as to when this occurs or with what websites. Now that I am more informed, I will start looking for the items you mention, in particular checking the actual login web page URL against the database. I have a fair number of cloud based/SaaS applications I use for my business, so often I end up at the login page by clicking a bookmark. It may be that the bookmark URL does not match what is in my 1Password data, which could cause some of these behaviors. So I will start by checking that data and keeping track of where this occurs. What I did not mention is that sometimes (not always), I can hit ESC and make the pop-up dialog disappear and try CTRL + \ a second time and then the 1Password will fill in the log-in credentials without triggering another pop-up. In any case, you have given me enough details to start looking at these instances when they occur, vetting the URL data in 1Password and let you know if this remedies the issue.

• Happy to have helped, @Denis A and do let me know what you find. I know I do see this on rare occasion, but for me it's consistently on a 1password.com domain and filling there is a bit a trickier so I really hadn't given it much thought, especially since I have a large collection of test accounts I'm certain could play a role in gumming up the works. If you find there's still no adequate explanation here, though, I at least have a place of my own where I could hopefully make some efforts at reproducing and see if I can track down some possible causes. :+1:

• Denis A
    Denis A
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

So far, so good . . . but I will keep you apprised. (An additional question is below, after my excessive and verbose explanation.) So far every one of these items with the "sticky" pop-up behavior have been resolved by editing the URL. One was so subtle that the only thing that had been changed in the URL of the login page was a colon (:) at the end of the URL had been changed to the pound sign(#). I've been fixing them by simply copying the current URL and updating the website field in the 1Password entry.

Funny you mention the 1Password log in itself as being problematic (we live in a world of irony - so why not?). I have had the same problem. For some reason the 1Password extension is filling in the Secret Key field with my email address and NOT filling in the email address field. I have guessed that this may be caused from my being unable to get the Secret Key field I added to my 1Password entry for https://my.1password.com/signin/ to move up to that "special area" (do not know what the technical name is - but I am talking about that portion of a 1Password item record that is surrounding in white and which I have learned is what the 1Password extension is actually putting data from when CTRL + \ is invoked.) (I learned that when I converted a few months ago from 1Password 6 standalone to 1Password 7 for Teams. When I did that, the database conversion process somehow pushed a few of my passwords down out of that white area of the records. As a result, on those, the 1Password extension quite filling in the passwords until I went in and manually edited the data records to put the Password field back up above in that white area.)

So the question: Do you know if there is a way to have more than just the User Name/Email and the password added to that white area of the record for sites such as 1Password that have more than 2 fields required to log in?

• That's odd, @Denis A. I'd not expect 1Password to be quite that picky – it should be happy so long as the domain matches. Still, I'm glad it has seemed to help all the same. I'll have to do some digging myself and see if I can figure out why it's being so fussy for you. Perhaps we've got a small, sneaky issue with matching making it a bit too picky under some circumstances.

As for filling on 1Password.com, that's actually expected behavior. Custom fields (those you add yourself that aren't part of the template) are ordinarily not fillable. We worked around this for 1Password.com by adding a Starter Kit item for your account where all three fields were fillable, but 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Business customers had requested the option not to add that item at such a high rate, we actually decided to stop creating them for folks that are part of a Business of Team account. If that's you, you won't have such an item and there isn't a way to create one that will fill.

Now, with that said, you should find you're rarely filling your Secret Key anyway. Your browser should save your e-mail and your Secret Key so that when you sign in via the web, you're only needing to enter your Master Password. One exception to that right now is Edge – the last Windows update seems to have changed something and, although it is saving the Secret Key, it's being a bit fiddly about when it will offer a sign-in page where only your Master Password is needed. If you're using a browser other than Edge and aren't blocking cookies or clearing your cache and you're having to fill your Secret Key every sign-in, let me know. If you are using Edge, you can click "trouble signing in" then click the back "sign in" button without filling that form to get to a sign-in page where your Secret Key is saved. I haven't a clue why that works, but it does and it's the only workaround I've found thus far. Our web development team is working on a fix as well. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.