Prompt to save new site/password AFTER login

Hi All,

Been using 1Password for a little while now, mainly with the standalone FF plugin.

Not sure if I have missed a setting but 1 thing I found useful about LastPass was that it prompted me to save or update my login info for a site after a successful login. This was useful if I was not sure of the old PW and needed a few attempts to log in, when it was successful, rather than having to log out and back in to get 1Password to prompt to save I could do it from a popup in the top right of the browser.

Is this something that I have missed and can enable? Or is it currently a missing feature?

Cheers

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 1.12.1
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: 1 Password Native

Comments

• Hey @smbm! Thanks so much for taking the time to write in and share your concerns about the way 1Password X prompts you to save Login items.

I understand that it can seem inconvenient to save your Login item before you're sure you've entered the correct credentials. Prompting you to save your Login item upon filling the final field in a login or sign up form is currently the most reliable way to ensure your items are properly saved with the correct URL and login form data. That being said, if you're trying out a number of passwords, once you have successfully signed into the site you certainly can edit the item from within 1Password X. Here's a handy guide that will help you do so: Find and edit items within 1Password X

I hope this helped!

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

@smbm I would also prefer this order when saving the login.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

I don't know what what we're thinking of for future updates but we do have an issue filed so it is something we understand there is interest in.

ref: x/b5x#273

• almir
    almir
    Community Member

+1 for this feature, as I attempt to get my parents to use a password manager. It's the only thing I miss from LastPass.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @almir,

Sadly I have no progress to report but it is still something I'm hoping we can improve on.

• hiimsnowman
    hiimsnowman
    Community Member

I'm just going to revive this thread because it's absurd to save a password **BEFORE **the website confirmed the credentials are valid. This was about the only thing LastPass did that was well ahead of 1P.

This has got to be the most frustrating thing to deal with. I'm a UI/UX designer and I have several dozen test accounts to deal with on dev, staging and prod environments. The number of times I've mistakenly saved an incorrect password > logged in > had it be invalid > needed to log into 1P > find the item > edit > save > go back to website is now countless.

I created an account on these forums only to share how absolutely infuriating this oversight is from an otherwise flawless product. Please, please, please AT LEAST give us the option to save it AFTER successful login. Doesn't even need to be default behavior but for the love of all things EFFICIENT, just give us the option.

I'm begging.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

+1

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hiimsnowman & @allawrence,

I've noted your plea and hiimsnowman, I even quoted you a couple of times because you didn't mince your words when highlighting the flaws with our current approach. I wish I had something better to say, it is still something I do hope we can do better for all the reasons you've highlighted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, thanks for the feedback! But, to be clear, if your password wasn't accepted, you're not logged in yet; so you can save again before logging in, and if you're successful you're good to go. :sunglasses: 1Password X is designed to run solely in the browser. And of course in that case it can't do things outside the browser, like offer a persistent save dialog that you can interact with even after switching to a different page, by running at the OS level. But perhaps we can add more capabilities over time, especially as 1Password X gains the ability to integrate with the native apps as well. Cheers! :)

• vilisseranen
    vilisseranen
    Community Member

I use to have an extension called Passman (for Nextcloud) that was doing just this. You log in on a website, then on the next page it is asking you if you want to save the credentials (or update if they are different from what is currently saved). This is really missing in 1Password.

I did not have any application installed beside the Passman extension.

• Interesting. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Ben

• jacjoergen
    jacjoergen
    Community Member

+1 for this

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for adding a +1 to this, @jacjoergen! Your feedback is appreciated. :)

• jonasesr
    jonasesr
    Community Member

Please add this feature. As a web developer with dozen accounts, it is very annoying to edit wrong entered passwords. Nearly every other password manager can do this.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

I would like to see this Feature too. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jonasesr: You can make changes to the generated password before you even use it. ;)

• jonasesr
    jonasesr
    Community Member

Valid Point, but my customers and hosters don't want me to generate their passwords ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jonasesr: I think I don't understand what you're trying to do then. Can you elaborate?

• jonasesr
    jonasesr
    Community Member

It is often the case that I get passwords from third parties. The problem is that these passwords are sometimes wrong for several reasons. The moment you save a password to 1P that is actually wrong is pretty annoying. It would be much better to check the password first and save it after you logged in successfully.
    In addition, it would be nice to implement a domain regex check. We have some domains that are present in more that 20 top level domains. Is there a function to safe this password for domain matching /example..+/ ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jonasesr: I guess I'm not understanding what this has to do with 1Password. If the password is "wrong" (not clear on what is meant by that), 1Password has no way of knowing; it's just saving what you tell it too. If and when you decide you need to change what is saved in 1Password -- whether today, tomorrow, or months from now -- you can do that.

• gdonskoy
    gdonskoy
    Community Member

+1
    Wish it was an option. LastPass is much more convenient in this matter. As it's pain in the ass when you don't remember a password, try it 5 times and on a successful attempt you have to log out only to save password. And obviously, they gonna ask you to fill in some weird captchas lol.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The 1Password desktop apps, since they run at the OS level, can offer an autosave prompt outside the browser, which you can decline if you're unsuccessful, or accept if you were successful. That's not a new thing. ;)

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

• aspiziri
    aspiziri
    Community Member

Made an account just to +1 this. It's crucial to the way I was able to build up my LastPass account credentials over time. As others have stated I often may need a few attempts to ensure I put in the right username/password and only after making it through the flow to the next page do I know for sure the values I want to save to 1password. It makes it very time consuming to build out my credential list ahead of time instead of it just happening naturally as I go about using the sites I already login with.

• almir
    almir
    Community Member

I think 1Password's approach is OK if the user has zero online accounts and is starting fresh. But let's be real... that's nobody. Most people have dozens of existing logins by the time they switch to a password manager. Or, like myself, some people are migrating from other password managers. I have been using 1Password for a while now, and this is still an annoyance.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate the feedback, @aspiziri and @almir!

• lkotsonis
    lkotsonis
    Community Member

@brenty 1Password has to do with it in a UX context. Prompting to save a password AFTER successfully login is a quite different user experience than making sure you clicked "Save Password" before logging in.

Once you are logged in on the website, the only way to go about it is to logout and re-login (if you don't want to open a new tab to open the vault and do it manually - which I'd rather not do). As many other people already said, this is a UX already offered by e.g. LastPass. The link you provided requires a desktop app to do that, not only a chrome extension.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Is it possible to get this feature in an future Update?
    Or this not the way you like to run 1PX?

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

I know it isn't ideal, as I too prefer the way the OS level apps work, but with 1PWX if you click save and the password is correct then happy days you have the correct credentials saved.

If you however click save and the website refuses due to the login being wrong, Then 99% of the time the site would revert you back to the same login page whereby you just try again, This time however instead of clicking Save you just click 'Update Existing' and you then have the correct information saved.

It really isn't too dissimilar to the main apps, if you get the password wrong you'd click don't save and then try again.

I agree 1PWX should work the same, but it really isn't as much of an issue if you use that workaround, well it wasn't for me anyway :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

@Zaka_7: That's been my experience, both using it myself and helping other users with 1Password. So the "it doesn't work like [insert version here], therefore it's bad" argument doesn't seem very compelling to me. The complaints we do get about this are generally that it works differently than what a user is used to, so I do agree that there's an argument to be made for consistency at least. It's something we'll continue to evaluate as we develop 1Password X. Thanks everyone for the feedback! :)

• lkotsonis
    lkotsonis
    Community Member

Just to clarify on my answer: I'm not saying is bad, but the argument "it doesn't have to do with 1Password" is not relevant.
    UX is a subjective thing after all, of course, and there are ways to work around the habit, no doubt about that. :)

This discussion has been closed.