To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I think I have an account. Is that the same as having a membership?

RobertCody
RobertCody
Community Member

I think I have an account. I don't think I have a membership. And I have a license in Drop Box. I don't know what it is for. I have 1Password 6 on my iMac. I have 1Password on my iPad; I think it is Version 7.3. The two seem to be coordinated. I downloaded the 1Password app to my new iPhone6S Plus, but I can't get it synced with anything. What do I need to do to get it synced with my iMac version of 1Password?

1Password Version: V6 on my iMac, C7.3 on my iPad
Extension Version: Don't know
OS Version: OS 10.13.6, ios 12.2
Sync Type: Drop Box I think
Referrer: forum-search:I think I have an account. Is that the same as having a membership?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RobertCody - so, a 1password.com account would mean that you have a 1Password membership. They're the same thing (essentially). There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account (membership):

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

If you want to check what sync method you use, visit either (in 1Password for Mac) Preferences > Sync and look there, or (in 1Password for iOS) Settings > Sync. They should be the same, if you're using standalone 1Password. If you are using a 1password.com account, you don't need any 3rd party sync method, as sync happens via the 1password.com server. Can you tell me what method of sync you're using (or if you have an account)? Thanks.

• RobertCody
    RobertCody
    Community Member

How do I find out if I have an account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RobertCody - you would have signed up at the main 1Password sign-up page. You would have been prompted to download an Emergency Kit. You would have (likely, though not necessarily) added your account into 1Password for Mac's Preferences > Accounts.

There are probably other ways, most involving your memory, that you would know. If you have never signed up at 1password.com for a 1Password account/membership, you don't have one. If you've been a 1Password user for years, and you originally purchased a standalone license and/or have been syncing via Dropbox or iCloud, you likely have been a standalone user this entire time and do not have a 1password.com account, as they've only been in existence since 2016. I say "likely do not" because I can't verify for certain without checking our database on the back-end here, and we don't conduct those kinds of verifications on this public forum. If you have no memory of having created a 1password.com account but still think you might have one, please write to support@1password.com and one of my colleagues will be able to help you figure it out.

If you look in 1Password for Mac right now, at Preferences > Vaults, what do you see? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

• RobertCody
    RobertCody
    Community Member

OK, I do have an account. I have a forty character secret key. An I have a master password.
    There is one vault. It is called Primary.
    So the question now is: how can I upgrade to 1Password 7 and sync my three devices?

• @RobertCody

Okay, so you have a membership, but you aren't using it. Primary is not a membership vault. To proceed please install 1Password 7 for Mac:

Download for Mac

and then follow these instructions to sign into your account and migrate your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You'll need to sign into your account and then delete your Primary vault from each device (once you've migrated your data from your Mac).

I'd also highly recommend printing your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• RobertCody
    RobertCody
    Community Member

I downloaded. I started the installation procedure. I got through Introduction, Destination Select, and Installation Type. I can't get Quit 1Password. It shows 1Password MIni, but nothing happens when I click Quit All.

• Could you please post a screenshot illustrating the issue you're running into?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• RobertCody
    RobertCody
    Community Member

I managed to delete 1Password Mini which then allowed me to install 1Password 7. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use the new interface. How, for example, to delete the login "System". Or to edit it. Why is everything "Read Only"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RobertCody: The data will be read-only without a valid license for the version you're using, or active 1Password membership subscription. For example, you can get all of the apps and updates as part of the membership:

1Password membership benefits

This discussion has been closed.