Extension appears nearly invisible in new Chrome dark mode

Please compare the extension icon in Chrome and Firefox. For me, it appears hard to see compared to dark mode in FF.
(Chrome vs. FF

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.3.1
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 19H1 x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Hi @sniem,

Thank you for getting in touch! I agree, it is not very visible.

If you have a 1Password account, you can try to use 1Password X for the time being (its icon looks okay in dark mode). In the meantime, we will see what we can do about the icon for our standard extension.

Let me know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#500

• mohammad1361
    mohammad1361
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,
    After 35 days the extension's icon is not very visible! :(

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mohammad1361,

Right now we are focused on other high-priority issues (we still have a lot on our plate in 1Password 7 for Windows). If you have 1Password account, please give 1Password X a try. It is fantastic and we have plans to add desktop app integration in the future (as we did on Mac already).

Let me know if you have other questions. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Still repro with 7.3.702.

• This isn't something that will change with an update to the desktop app, @sniem. The extension doesn't do a ton on its own, but the icon is one things that is all on the extension (and Chrome itself, to a degree). One thing worth noting here is that my understanding (and I'm not seeing anything in Chrome today to indicate this has changed) is that Chrome does not have an official dark mode on Windows. Instead, there are varying dark themes that are used and how extension icons are displayed is up to that theme. On Firefox, conversely, there is an official dark mode and extension icons are handled differently (and better, I think we'd agree) by Firefox itself. Now, I'm not a Chrome user, so I am fully open to the fact that I could be missing something, but this has been my understanding in the past and I'm not finding any indication that has changed. Does this mean there's nothing we can do? I'd actually wager we can combat this by offering alternative icons that are user selectable in the same manner 1Password X does. But, that would require an update to the extension itself – not the desktop app – so if you're on the lookout for changes, I'd not expect any absent an update to the extension specifically.

This discussion has been closed.