Cant find a way to add a new Vault

kaloa
kaloa
Community Member

We just signed up for 1password, still on the trial for families. Can't figure out how to add an additional vault. I see the 'all vaults' I see the 'private' and 'shared' but no option to create an additional one. What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kaloa,

Can you tell us how you're using 1Password? Is it via the website? The Mac app? Windows?

We should be able to get you instructions based on that.

Rick

• michaellindahl
    michaellindahl
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I'm not the primary owner of the 1Password family account. On the website, there is no option at /home to create a vault. On the Mac app when I create a new Vault it only creates it locally On My Mac. I'm not sure how to create a Vault stored on Dropbox or Create a Vault that is synced using 1Password.com

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2019

Hi, @michaellindahl.

I'm sorry for the trouble. If your family account was created a while ago, it may be that you don't have the ability to create new vaults. Right now the easiest way to work around that is to have your family organizer promote you to also be a family organizer.

Alternatively, your family could create a new account to avoid this issue entirely.

ref: b5/b5#2640

• michaellindahl
    michaellindahl
    Community Member

@rob What is the difference between those two options? Does creating a new family just force everyone to be family organizers or is there something more different.

Has 1Password created a way to migrate legacy family accounts to the new permissions model?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @michaellindahl,

Does creating a new family just force everyone to be family organizers or is there something more different.

No, the new permission system allows even Team Members to create new vaults, without needing to be promoted to Family Organizers first.

Has 1Password created a way to migrate legacy family accounts to the new permissions model?

If you mean automatically, no. But as Rob mentioned, you can certainly create a new account to avoid this issue entirely, and transfer any existing data to the new account.

• michaellindahl
    michaellindahl
    Community Member

How do we go about creating a new account and transferring all the data? This seems like a difficult process.

• Hi @michaellindahl

This seems like a difficult process.

Depending on how many accounts and how many vaults are in your membership it may be a time consuming one. You'd have to evaluate if it would be time well spent.

How do we go about creating a new account and transferring all the data?

You can sign up for a new membership here:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

Whoever creates the new membership will be the (first) Family Organizer. They'll need to invite everyone else. Then each person will need to create a new account within the new membership, add it to their 1Password apps, and then copy all of the data from their Private/Personal vault in the old membership to the new:

Move and copy items | 1Password

For each shared vault one family member should create a new vault in the new membership and migrate the data over, and add the appropriate people to it:

Create and share vaults

Once all of the accounts and vaults have been created in the new membership and all of the data has been moved over you can delete the old membership:

How to delete your 1Password account

If you have time remaining on the subscription for the old membership you can have our billing team move that over for you: support+billing@1password.com :) Everyone will end up with a new Secret Key as a result, so I'd highly recommend that each account holder print a new Emergency Kit and shred the old one.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.