View Document
Download required

If you download a document you see:

View Document
File downloaded

Even when I restart my phone the document remains downloaded. I've tried:

• force closing the app
  • checked >Settings >1Password (in iOS)
  • checked >Settings >1Password Browser >Clear Web Data (in 1Password)

How can I remove the cached local copy from 1Password? (I don't want to trash the document)

Comments

• Hi @gazu

The only way that I'm aware of to clear that cache is to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Ben

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case, thanks for answering though. :(

After seeing your reply I'm hopeful I may be able to achieve the same effect by either:

• enabling travel mode and then disabling it or;
    • signing out entirely of the app on my device

Either way +1 for a Clear Document Data feature.

• Thanks @gazu. Please do let me know if you find an easier way; I'd be interested to hear.

Either way +1 for a Clear Document Data feature.

Would you mind elaborating about why you want this? What's the reason for wanting to do this? Do you want to clear the entire cache of all items, or just a particular item? I'd like to better understand so that I can better advocate.

Ben

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Would you mind elaborating about why you want this? What's the reason for wanting to do this? Do you want to clear the entire cache of all items, or just a particular item?

@Ben

I keep a high-resolution scan of my passport, driving licence and birth certificate in 1Password. Additionally I keep my house deeds and insurance documents in my vault. Anything non-sensitive goes in my normal cloud drive.

I also keep my SSH, PGP, SSL keys and S/MIME certificates for archival purposes.

Sometimes I may accidentally click on an item in the vault which causes it to download but, more often than not, once I've viewed a document or copied a key over I don't want it hanging around in memory on my iPhone.

I accept that 1Password probably keeps the downloaded document secure once cached but I'd rather not have it there all the same, potentially causing conflicts if I need to update a particular document. I also like to keep space at a minimum on my phone - for some people I can see this rapidly accumulating.

My main 'wish' would be for a Clear Document Data feature which would erase anything previously downloaded. Being able to delete individual files (for me at least) is unnecessary and would require either adding a (confusing) option next to each item or having a file explorer somewhere in 1Password (much complexity). On the other hand a button that clears everything, like there is for the web browser, is easier to implement and can be tucked away into a menu somewhere.

Edited to add -

Alternatively perhaps remove the cache altogether as I guess the typical user doesn't upload massive files into 1Password and re-downloading them on-demand isn't too much of an issue.

Or, flush the cache on app restart / device reboot.

Both options help keep the app more compact, secure (because there's less local storage) and by automating it you don't need user intervention and it keeps the UI streamlined.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I accept that 1Password probably keeps the downloaded document secure once cached

@gazu: That's correct. Everything stored in 1Password is encrypted using your Master Password. Additionally, everything in 1Password's app container is encrypted by the OS using keys unique to the app on your device (which goes for all iOS apps).

but I'd rather not have it there all the same, potentially causing conflicts if I need to update a particular document.

There are no conflicts because it isn't possible to "update" Documents stored in 1Password. You'd need to upload the file again, creating a new Document, to have the "updated" one in 1Password.

But I can definitely understand the concern for storage (or bandwidth). That's one of many reasons Documents are not automatically downloaded. :)

Alternatively perhaps remove the cache altogether as I guess the typical user doesn't upload massive files into 1Password and re-downloading them on-demand isn't too much of an issue.

That's definitely not the case, so probably not a reasonable option for us.

Or, flush the cache on app restart / device reboot.

On the contrary, the two biggest questions/requests we get about Documents are 1) "how do I ensure that a file stays accessible locally on my device?" and 2) "how can I download multiple files in advance to have them available offline and reduce data usage?" So I don't think there's any chance of us removing all files on restart.

Both options help keep the app more compact, secure (because there's less local storage) and by automating it you don't need user intervention and it keeps the UI streamlined.

Since Documents are only downloaded when the user explicitly invokes that, I don't think that's really necessary or appropriate (given other larger concerns), but we can certainly consider adding a way to manage storage better in the future. In the mean time, if you delete the app, everything will be removed; and since the data is inherently all in your 1Password account, you simply need to sign in again to get whatever you need. :)

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

I see this feature is now available in Android (under Advanced) so it'd be great if it's someday included in 1Password for iOS. :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.