How would I recover a personal vault if a family member cannot access their email?

vonkanehoffen
vonkanehoffen
Community Member

I have a 1Password Family plan I share with my mum. I got to thinking what would happen one of us was locked out of both our 1Password vault and email, or (god forbid) one of us were taken ill and our affairs had to be conducted in our absence, which would require access to the vault. According to your docs here: https://support.1password.com/recovery/ any password recovery requires access to email. Is there an alternative method that could be used in this situation? The only option I can see so far is keeping copies of each other's email credentials in our personal vaults, which isn't exactly the best.
Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vonkanehoffen!

Access to the email address of a 1Password account is necessary in case of recovery. There needs to be a way for a user to verify that the request is indeed legit and expected, and email verification is what allows us to do it (considering the fact that it's the only contact information that we can use).

I got to thinking what would happen one of us was locked out of both our 1Password vault and email, or (god forbid) one of us were taken ill and our affairs had to be conducted in our absence, which would require access to the vault.

Rather than sharing email credentials in 1Password, your example scenario perhaps would benefit from the Emergency Kit itself. If you print it and store it in a safe place, this is what would allow another family member to access a vault in an emergency situation, not just their email address.

This discussion has been closed.