Autofill password in app requires calling 1Password twice

snappy
snappy
Community Member
edited April 2019 in iOS

I have two issues with iOS autofill using 1Password with a specific app called "UBank" (a banking app for www.ubank.com.au).

When the UBank app opens it displays a form with two fields: email and password. The UBank autofills the email but requires password to be entered.

I select the "Passwords" popup bar, select 1Password, unlock.

First issue: I was expecting to see the UBank login item show up as the first choice. It doesn't. Maybe the 1Password app isn't intelligent enough to match app to login item yet.

Second issue: I select the UBank login item, which then returns to the UBank app. Nothing is filled in. Again I select Passwords, select 1Password, unlock, select UBank, and then the credentials are filled in.

I notice this isn't just an issue with the 1Password app. I also have another banking app "CapitalOne" which exhibits the same problem.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @snappy! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please share the link to these two apps so I can see if they are available in my region? I would like to test and see if I see the same behavior on my device, but I would like to make sure I am testing the right apps :)

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for taking the initiative to investigate.

The capital one app can be found here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/capital-one-mobile/id407558537

The UBank app can be found here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ubank-mobile-banking/id1313119623?mt=8

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snappy

Thank you! Unfortunately the first app is not available in my region, but I will try to test the second one, which seems to be available here too.

I will keep you posted!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @snappy,

I have tested the Ubank app for iOS. This is what I found:

First issue: I was expecting to see the UBank login item show up as the first choice. It doesn't. Maybe the 1Password app isn't intelligent enough to match app to login item yet.

I was able to replicate this issue. I suspect the actual name of the app is something different from www.ubank.com.au, and this is why 1Password does not recognize it as an app that should be recognized by the Ubank login.

Second issue: I select the UBank login item, which then returns to the UBank app. Nothing is filled in. Again I select Passwords, select 1Password, unlock, select UBank, and then the credentials are filled in.

This worked correctly in my testing: I downloaded the app, created a test Ubank Login item in 1Password, launched the app and used AutoFill. Both fields were filled in correctly the first time.

Is this something that happens all the time, or just every now and then?

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

It happens every time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @snappy. I have just tested this again and I confirm that things worked again on my device.

The only thing I could recommend is perhaps creating the UBank Login item from scratch (which is what I did to test this), to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the existing entry.

It might also be worth making sure you are also using the latest version of the UBank app. For reference, I tested version 1.11.2. I am not sure if this has anything to do with what you are seeing, but it is possible that an older version of the app might be slightly different.

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

I am using the latest version of UBank app: 1.11.2.

The only thing I could recommend is perhaps creating the UBank Login item from scratch (which is what I did to test this), to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the existing entry.

I sent the existing UBank login item to trash, went to the UBank website, logged in with correct credentials, and had 1password create the corresponding login item.

I still have to search for the item in autofill but the 1Password fills it in every time. So this solves the issue.

I did the same exact procedure with CapitalOne and that fixed the issue. Autofill correctly identifies the login item without having to search as well.

Both original login items were a couple of years old and were imported from LastPass. Perhaps there was an issue with how LastPass stored them and how it carried over to 1Password.

Thank you so much for the assistance, it's really appreciated.

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

I just tried using the UBank app this morning. I was at the login form, used autofill, unlocked 1Password, find & selected UBank login item.

Password didn't fill.

Repeated the above 2 more times because the password didn't fill.

On the third time when I thought it didn't fill, I touched the password field, and then suddenly it was filled with the '*******' mask.

Seems rather odd. I'm not sure if UBank is messing with the password field entry when filled (in the past they've known to do scrambling on password fields for login forms on their website which screws password managers).

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

Ok, I better understand the issue now.

First of all - the issue persists with both UBank and CapitalOne app.

A requirement for this issue to manifest is the app must pre-fill the username field in the credentials.

When the app is launched and it shows the login form with username pre-filled, I tap the password field to bring up autofill prompt and select the appropriate login item in 1Password.

Usually the password field is empty after the fill from 1Password. But if I tap the username after a fill, the password details gets entered.

Seems like a glitch.

Hope that helps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snappy:

A requirement for this issue to manifest is the app must pre-fill the username field in the credentials.

Is this a setting somewhere? Or perhaps this happens when you have a real account that you have added to the app already?

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

Is this a setting somewhere? Or perhaps this happens when you have a real account that you have added to the app already?

I think this only happens once you've successfully logged in first time. Subsequent logins will remember the username portion.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @snappy. Unfortunately I won't be able to test that part without an account with the bank. I tried to "fake" this behavior by entering the email address, quitting the app, and relaunching it again, hoping that the address would remain there so I could test this. Unfortunately it looks like the app refreshes every time when I do this, so I always get a clean form :(

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member

I notice the issue happening with Find My IPhone app that comes bundled with iOS.

It prefills the Apple user ID, but exhibits the same issue when 1P fills.

• @snappy

I've noticed that with Find My iPhone before. In that case it seems to be, perhaps somewhat ironically, because the app hasn't been updated for AutoFill compatibility yet. AutoFill will work almost anywhere, including in apps that haven't been updated recently, but some updates are required to smooth things out. The last update to Find My iPhone was 4 years ago, long before iOS 12's AutoFill was a thing. It may be the same situation with your bank's app — they may not have updated it with AutoFill in mind.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.