Reinstalling Extension is not possible [1Password does not control extension installation]

toreeg
toreeg
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am running the latest Windows 10 version along with 1Password 7.3.657. I had Microsoft Edge 1Password Extension installed. After a while a lot of error messages occured every time I started Microsoft Edge. I suspected the 1 Password Extension. Therefore I first made an uninstall and the error messages dissapaired. But I was not happy to have limited functionality so I tried to reinstall it. You can only install Microsoft Edge 1 Password Extension from Microsoft Store. I was really suprised when I got the Message from Microsoft Store that the extension is already installed. Microsoft Store refuses to reinstall when the software is already installed. So I am stuck with no Extension. What is the solution to this ?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 64 bit
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toreeg,

Thank you for getting in touch! This situation sounds really strange.

First of all, do you see 1Password extension in Microsoft Edge on your PC? Is it possible that it is installed, but disabled? See the following screenshot:

If you don't have it installed, please try to reboot your PC completely and check if the issue with installation remains. As the last resort, you can follow the steps in this guide from Microsoft:

I can't find or install an app from Microsoft Store

Let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi Greg
    Your tip about disabled apps led me to settings/apps/1Password (1 and2). The list had 2 entries of the icon 1Password, one from the date when I first installed 1Password (Version 7.2.583 and another one containing the last Version 7.3.657. Only the oldest one gave me an opportunity to make a repair in it's settings. Afterwards I could from the settings/Advanced in Microsoft Edge reactivate 1Password extension. The icon on the menu line got visible again. So it seems that the problem is solved. I hope the error messages will not return, but I will test the program later. Thank you very much for your help so far.

toreeg

• Thanks for sharing @toreeg, and on Greg's behalf, you are most welcome! One of those entries was likely for the extension – 1Password has some extra helper apps to help it save and fill in Microsoft Edge and, if repairing worked, I'd bet one of those had ended up corrupted. Strange, indeed, but good that you were able to find a solution! :chuffed:

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi bundtkate
    I expect you have taken over the case from Greg ? I must tell you that the problem still persists with error messages. Every time I start Microsoft edge "This applicaton could not be started" "Do you want to view information about this issue ?" Yes/No. If I choose Yes a new website opens:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/nb-no/dotnet/framework/deployment/initialization-errors-managing-the-user-experience?version=(null)&processName=1Password.exe&platform=0009&osver=6&isServer=0&shimver=4.0.30319.0

If I choose No the error message dissapear but returns when I open a new website. The only thing that removes the error message is a manual logon to 1Password. It solves the problem for today, but if I restart the PC the problem is back again. Below I have tried to capture the error message. So what's the problem now ?

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/cq/hi8jl26zepxj.png

toreeg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toreeg,

This is a known issue that we are currently investigating. Please try to do the following:

1) Check for Windows updates, install all of the available updates, and reboot.
    2) Uninstall 1Password extension in Edge, reboot, and re-install it.

Let me know if the issue remains after that. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: opw/opw#3736

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi Greg

This will not work. Followed your recipe, but the problem remains. Maybe you should be allowed to login to my computer using Teamviewer. It's easier for you beeing on the machine that causes the trouble.

toreeg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@toreeg: Can you clarify what "will not work" exactly? Is Edge giving you an error when you try to uninstall it? We're not able to access people's computers since, well, the whole point of 1Password is that we can't get to anyone's data. But if you'll provide details I'm sure we can figure out what's going wrong on your machine. :)

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Ok, this is not very efficient ! Do I have to address the whole crew ? Start reading what I already have written and you find out. Teamviewer is a one to one connection and has nothing to do with exposing passwords. I think you already have access to them as owner of the server. The Teamviewer solution was meant to reduce labor to find out what the problem is and find a solution.

toreeg

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@toreeg

I think you already have access to them as owner of the server.

No, the only thing stored on the 1password.com server is encrypted blobs of data which we do not possess the keys to decrypt. All encryption/decryption happens client-side in your browser or local 1Password apps.

Do I have to address the whole crew ?

Definitely not. :) If you're uncomfortable speaking "in public" like this on the discussion forum, we'd be happy to help you one-on-one via email. If you'll write in to support+forum@agilebits.com, one of us will be happy to assist you. Or we can continue here if you don't mind that. Greg mentioned that we are tracking an issue that sounds very much like what you described, and gave you some steps to take. If they didn't work for you, we'd like to know exactly what you did and when/how things didn't work? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi
    I have no problem speaking in the Public. If I am assigned your consultant Greg, I want to continue the discussion only with him. If you for some reason have to change to another consultant, please read the documentation already written for this case, so we don't have to start all over again.
    Yes I have followed Greg's instructions and the result is not very encouraging. After reinstalling of Microsoft Edge Extension the problem of earlier described error Messages are back. Every time I start Microsoft Edge the error Message shown below occur:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/cq/hi8jl26zepxj.png

I have earlier written about what happens when choosing the Yes/No buttons

toreeg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toreeg,

Everyone on our team reads the previous posts carefully, so I am sorry if there is any misunderstanding here.

The error you see occurs on some system configurations when you have 1Password extension installed in Microsoft Edge. We are not sure why, as we were unable to pinpoint the roots of this issue yet. We had similar reports, where installing all the latest Windows updates, reinstalling 1Password extension, and rebooting a computer helped, so I asked you to check the same steps. I am sorry if they didn't work for you.

The reason why 1Password extension for Edge tends to be fragile is that the Microsoft Store apps were never designed to talk to offline desktop apps like 1Password, but due to customers' demand, we had to come up with an option. There is a lot of things that might go wrong between the current version of Microsoft Edge, standalone 1Password 7 app, and 1Password extension from the Microsoft Store. Moreover, all of those issues are specific to different system setups – e.g., we are not able to reproduce the error you have on our side.

It seems that Microsoft itself is focused on the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge now, and plans to replace the current version of Microsoft Edge in the future. We do not have any news yet, but 1Password X, our new extension, should work in the current dev builds already. See this message from Mike in a neighbour thread.

1Password extension (be it our standard extension or 1Password X) should work without any issues in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Brave, so please try to use it in those supported browsers for the time being. I wish I had other news for you regarding Microsoft Edge, but I don't.

If you have any additional questions about this situation, feel free to raise them. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi Greg
    Finally you "spilled the beans" and it is very important to me to know what we are up against. I have countless times experienced the inherent villainy of things in connection with software, drivers and so on. You tell me your in lack of environment for investigating the problem. You are not able to recreate the problem. Well, I offered you access to my PC and the offer still stands. Meanwhile I can try to give you a better description on what is happening.

Starting up Microsoft Edge after booting and login always triggers the error Message. It seems like the 1Password Extension is looking for the main program but is not able to connect. You can manuelly give the Extension access to the main program by logging into 1Password main program. After you have done the login, you can shut down or click it out the main 1Password program. The error Message will never return as long as you never reboot the PC.
    This problem did not occur the first time I installed the 1Password main program and the Extension. It occured after weeks of using the program. My first reaction was to ignore the problem. Later I found this earlier described workaround until I finally realised that this was a case for support.
    I have used the Event Viewer to look for error Messages. There seems to be some cryptic warnings but I need help to interpret this messages. Another problem is that I have a lot of software installed on the PC. I can no longer find out what kind of software I installed at the same time the problem started for 1Password.
    I have now installed the Chrome browser and 1Password Extension X. It seems to work fine. The downside is that the new browser has turned my bookmarks upside down. But there is not many things you don't get used to... :-)

toreeg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toreeg,

It was never a secret, so I am not sure why you think that I am spilling the beans here. The issues with the current version of Microsoft Edge have been discussed in our forum numerous times.

We are unable to expand our support beyond email and this support forum at the moment, that is why we will not be able to assist you with Team Viewer. If you still have issues with Microsoft Edge, please try to go to Windows 10 Settings > Privacy > Background Apps and turn Microsoft Edge off there. Reboot your computer and check if the issue remains.

I would recommend you to stick to Chrome, though. What do you mean by "turned my bookmarks upside down"? Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

I think we have come to an end with this issue. There is no more to discuss unless someone comes up with new ideas how to solve it. We had saved a lot of time just referring to the documentation of this topic, following other leads (threads). Next time it will be easier....
    About the bookmarks; I have a stack of bookmarks to other webpages sorted alpabetical and into different topics. In Google Chrome after import of bookmarks my alphabetical system was a mess.

Thank you very much for your help. Have a nice Easter.

toreeg

• For what it may be worth, @toreeg, many folks I've worked with having this issue have found ignoring it is best practice. Our understanding is that you're roughly correct – the extension is looking for the desktop app and can't find it in a timely fashion – but folks have found that things work well despite the error after waiting a short time. It's an annoyance to be sure, though, so I'm glad Chrome is serving you well for the moment. :chuffed:

In addition, Microsoft is working on some pretty sweeping changes to Edge itself. We don't know when those changes will be public and can't really comment on them specifically until that point, but it's reasonable to believe that there's a strong chance many of these issues will resolve when the new Edge is released. I'd also be on the lookout for updates from Microsoft and consider giving Edge another look when they land. :+1:

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi bundtkate
    Yes it's an annoyance and nothing more. I blame no one for this and for now accepted that the problem will persist. I log into 1Password and the error Message dissapears for the rest of the day. So let the case rest :-)

toreeg

• Glad to hear it @toreeg! I'm glad to hear you can cope for now and, of course, we'll continue working to get this fixed up as quick as we can. :chuffed:

• toreeg
    toreeg
    Community Member

Hi Greg
    I have had some time to investigate the problem about the pop up error message each time I started Microsoft Edge.
    Maybe there isn't a problem at all. Most of the software installation of 1Password is hidden. Microsoft doesn't want
    you to access C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ unless you have the right privileges. Here are the files of 1password located.
    But you also find Windows error reporting files here and they can give you a hint about what the problem is.

These five lines made me curious even I am not an expert in "geek rubbish". ;-)

FriendlyEventName=App unhandled script exception
    ConsentKey=WWAJSE
    AppName=1Password extension (desktop app required)
    AppPath=C:\Windows\System32\MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe
    ApplicationIdentity=00000000000000000000000000000000
    MetadataHash=1848389840

Most of it is cryptic, but this is what the "wer" report tells you every time Microsoft Edge crashes with 1Password.
    Maybe it tells you that it is impossible for Microsoft edge to connect with 1Password. Under normal circumstances this won't
    happen. But a lot of people buy cleaner software and often they do more harm than good. They turn off a lot of services to optimize
    your PC. This is also the case here I believe. In my case I went to Settings\Administrative Settings\System Configuration\StartUp Elements and enabled 1Password service. Afterwards I rebooted the maschine a couple of times, started Microsoft Edge but no error message showed up.

Tore Eirik

This discussion has been closed.