To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

the mac app is read only, I cannot login to the web or to the account

Dear Team,

I gave the Mac app a look and it was good. Now I am in the subsciption and wanted to start to put in all password.
Suddenly the app is read only. When I click on "read only" it goes to the settings/accounts. There it finds a account (never knew I had one). Now it is asked for the master password and the problem starts. I put in the master password for the app, but this seems not to be the correct password.
What is the Master password? Why it is different from the APP? How can I proceed?

Next problem: I search for this account I seem to have and I try to look into the website. However, there is an Secret Key, which I shall put in? I didn't know that I have this secret key? At what point did I have created this key? Anyway, I do not have this key.

The help says that I find the key in the app in my account, but I cannot log into my account.

Somehow I am logged out from everything.

How can I start using the app: reset everything?

The app is the actual version, also the MacOS. The subscription just started.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.5 (70205004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alex_at_some_town! Welcome to the forum!

Suddenly the app is read only. When I click on "read only" it goes to the settings/accounts. There it finds a account (never knew I had one).

If you have a subscription, as you mentioned in your post, you have a 1Password account too. You created it when you signed up for the subscription.

Now it is asked for the master password and the problem starts. I put in the master password for the app, but this seems not to be the correct password.

What is the Master password? Why it is different from the APP? How can I proceed?

Are you able to login to your account on 1Password.com in a browser, rather than in the app? See below for information about the Secret Key.

Next problem: I search for this account I seem to have and I try to look into the website. However, there is an Secret Key, which I shall put in? I didn't know that I have this secret key? At what point did I have created this key? Anyway, I do not have this key.

If you go back to 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab and select your 1Password account, you will have an option to reveal the Secret Key there. You can copy it and use it to login on the website.

How can I start using the app: reset everything?

Let's see if you can access your Secret Key this way first. If you are able to recover it and login to your account on the website, we might be able to skip this step.

• Alex_at_some_town
    Alex_at_some_town
    Community Member

Dear ag_na,

I cannot login in the browers, as I have not the secret key.

As you suggested within the app is the following:
    I go in prefs to my account. There is no account connected. But the app finds an account with my mail address. I try to add this account to the app, however I have to put in my Master-Password.

Now I have the problem: I type in the password to start the app, but this is not the correct password. I cannot add the account. I tried several other passwords, but with no luck.

What do I now. I do not have yet any passwords in the app. Can I reset everything and start again (without losing the subscription)?

Kind regards
    Alex

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alex_at_some_town

You wrote this in your first message:

When I click on "read only" it goes to the settings/accounts. There it finds a account (never knew I had one).

Is this not true anymore? If you can still get there, you should be able to retrieve the Secret Key from that window.

Alternatively, you can retrieve your Secret Key from your Emergency Kit as well, if you downloaded and printed it when you created your account.

Should both of these fail, we can certainly delete your account so you can start again (and we will also be able to transfer any remaining subscription time to your new account, so don't worry about that).

• Alex_at_some_town
    Alex_at_some_town
    Community Member

The App finds the account, but I cannot log this account into the app, as the master password for this account is wrong.
    I do not have the Emergency Kit, as I never really knew that I have an online account. To make it short, yes lets reset everything and start new.
    What do I do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Alex_at_some_town: I will reach out to you via email shortly, so we can continue the conversation over there.

This discussion has been closed.