Support new Chrome Edge Development Builds`

I just installed the new Edge insider builds to mess around with the new Chrome iteration of Microsoft Edge. https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/?form=MO12FO&OCID=MO12FO

There is no 1Password extension in the new Microsoft Edge addon store https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/insider-addons/category/EdgeExtensionsPasswordManagers

So i went and grabbed the Chrome extension from the Chrome web store because the developer builds let you add unsigned extensions from external sources but then the 1Password application refuses the connection.

Anything I can do to whitelist this until it's officially supported?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2019

Hi @mruszczyk,

Thanks for reporting this.

As of right now, the only 1Password extension that works in the Microsoft Edge Insider builds is the 1Password X extension. Since you have a 1Password account, you can use 1Password X for now.

For the older 1Password extension that requires the desktop app, it will require a new 1Password update to add the new Edge's code signature to our whitelist. We don't have a timeframe on this but it is coming.

In the mean time, we are trying to talk to Microsoft about adding 1Password X to the Edge extensions store.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

The 1Password X extension works just fine with the Edge Insider builds! ;-)

What is the difference between the 1Password X extension and the older 1Password extension..? It is just the Edge code signature @MikeT, you have to add?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TheVMaster,

Unlike our standard extension, 1Password X works entirely in your browser and it doesn't need a 1Password app to communicate with. You can learn more about 1Password X on our website:

Get to know 1Password X

If you have any other questions, we will be happy to answer them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• JeffGr
    JeffGr
    Community Member

It does work fine, but I miss Windows Hello integration. Any chance of that coming to 1Password X?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JeffGr,

We would like to add desktop app integration for Windows (the same thing we did on Mac, but I don't have anything to share at this point. Please stay tuned.

If you have any other questions, we are always here for you. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• mpkossen
    mpkossen
    Community Member

Thanks for highlighting 1Password X as a solution! I can now also access my passwords on Edge on Chrome :)

Would there be any chance to have 1Password X added to the Microsoft Store, though? Currently it has to be installed through the Google Chrome store, which Edge marks as 'Other sources'. While not an issue at this point, it might put people off that are wary of Google and their store (or don't know how to add it as a source).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mpkossen,

As Mike noted above we are trying to talk to Microsoft about adding 1Password X to the Microsoft Store.

Moreover, recently we released a new beta that supports new Edge releases. It means that our standard extension should work in dev builds of Edge, if you install it.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• cek
    cek
    Community Member

I have the latest EdgeDev installed and the beta (7.3.684) installed. But I can't figure out how to activeate 1Password in Edge. Please advise.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cek,

Please try to install 1Password extension for EdgeDev from here and let us know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• carraviator
    carraviator
    Community Member

Installed this on the Edge Dev Version 75.0.139.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit) without an issues. A little odd installing a Chrome app in Edge, but it worked. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@carraviator - it IS a little odd; we're all getting used to it. Glad Greg was able to assist! :)

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

I just installed the Edge Chrome and the extension with a desktop 1PW. Let's see how it does!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeV99: Just make sure you're using 1Password for Windows beta, or you'll have a bad time! ;)

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

I clicked on Greg's link. It says 1Password extension (desktop app required) ... nothing about Windows beta. It is Version
    4.7.4.90. Also, I found two Chrome extensions I really like - open new tab in blank screen and make new tab active. So far, so good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeV99: Greg's link is to install the beta of the Windows app. Without that, 1Password will not connect to the new Edge:

Use 1Password beta releases

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

OK, I have switched 1PW to the beta channel.

However, Greg's link installs the 1PW extension -- nothing about a Windows app.
    1Password extension (desktop app required)
    Extends the 1Password app on your Mac or Windows PC, so you can fill and save passwords in your browser.
    Version 4.7.4.90 Updated May 27, 2019

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeV99: Here he links to the Windows app. But I guess you're referring to where he talks about the Chrome extension here. Anyway, it sounds like you've got what you need, but we're here if you have any questions.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

My apologies for my confusion. But I am on the beta channel so things are working great. I like the new Chrome version and more importantly having 1PW back in the browser!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeV99: No need to apologize. I just wanted to make sure you had everything you needed setup to actually use it. I'm enjoying the new Edge too. Happy beta! :chuffed:

• realmike
    realmike
    Community Member

Wasn't sure if these comments/suggestions only related to Windows. Reason I ask is that I have the latest 1Password for Mac beta (7.3.3.BETA-0 (70303000)), the extension from the link provided by Greg, but I still get the timeout error.

Tried uninstalling extension, restarting Edge, and then reinstalling the extension using the link but still no joy. Anyway, just thought I'd reach out and see if I'm just jumping the gun. Running on macOS 10.14.6. Thanks everyone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realmike: I was really confused at first by your comments, since you referenced both macOS and Edge...but -- duh -- Microsoft has a prerelease version of their new Edge browser for the Mac. Is that what you're using? If so, it's not something 1Password for Mac supports, but it's something we're evaluating to perhaps have it do so in the future. 1Password X works just fine there though, because it runs entirely in the browser:

Get to know 1Password X

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member

@Greg

> Please try to install 1Password extension for EdgeDev from here and let us know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

I just tried this and it worked. Thank you very much. It is much nicer to use than the 1Password X :chuffed:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Spaldo: Thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that it works for you. :)

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

When can we expect to see 1password in the new edge chromium app store? I see many password managers there already.

• @kurtd we are working with Microsoft to get it done as soon as possible. There is a relevant thread on Edge Insiders forum.

p.s. love that avatar of yours, that was a really good phone!

• Lucent
    Lucent
    Community Member

It looks like the 1Password X extension on Edge Beta is trying to communicate with 1Password desktop, possibly to stay unlocked between browser restarts, but the desktop version is refusing the connection. Can you whitelist the exe? Or, based on the "unidentified publisher" perhaps I should be reaching out to Microsoft to sign their executables?

• @Lucent can you check your msedge.exe file properties and share who signed it?

• Lucent
    Lucent
    Community Member

Just got an update for Edge Beta and the exe is now properly signed, but no more attempts to communicate between X and desktop are occurring at all.

• Hi @Lucent,

Try exiting both 1Password and Edge, start 1Password first and then start Edge, see if it works.

They didn't change their code signature, so it's still valid and works for me:

• Lucent
    Lucent
    Community Member

Here's the log message. Edge doesn't appear at all as a connected or refused browser anymore. This is version 77.0.235.24 (Official build) beta (64-bit)
    W | 953985ms | ThreadId(13) | 1Password::api:1700 │ 953986ms │ msedge: -> hello with no payload

This discussion has been closed.