Add 2FA QR code via Mac app didn't work

sunspots
sunspots
Community Member

I opened up an entry in 1Password and selected to add a new field for a one-time password. I clicked on the QR symbol on the right-hand side and dragged the pop up window over the QR code. The corner edges turned green and nothing further happened. Tried this several times and then reverted to using my iPhone and its 1Password app to scan the QR, which worked.

Checking the steps below confirmed what I did do and should have worked but didn't.
https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

Is the support article out of date? Did I miss a step? Or is there something wrong with the Mac App for QR code scanning?

Thanks
Peter

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.5 (70205004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sunspots! Welcome to the forum!

The corner edges turned green and nothing further happened.

After this happened, did you switch back to 1Password on your Mac to see if anything changed? Did you see the QR code field with additional text from the QR code, ready for you to save, or was the field completely empty?

Also, can you please let us know what website this happened with?

Thank you!

• sunspots
    sunspots
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    Yes, I did go back to 1Password on the Mac and noted no change, it was empty. There was nothing further for me to click on, like save on the QR code field.

It was for Skype but that, in turn, is the Microsoft (account.live.com) site.

Let me know if you want me to try anything or re-do on this site. I'm okay to remove 2FA and start again to assist with debugging.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sunspots - were the sizes of the window (our 2FA scanning window) and the actual image presented to you by MS when you tried this on your Mac) roughly the same size? Or was the QR code significantly smaller? That can sometimes be the issue when items will not scan properly. If you recall it being a pretty big size difference, then if you wouldn't mind trying again and increasing the size on the code, that might help see if this is the case here.

• sunspots
    sunspots
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, The 2FA window was actually larger than the QR code. I wasn't able to change the size of the window.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sunspots - right. You can't change our scanner window size; it's fixed. But you often can change the size of the QR code. That's what I was asking whether you'd tried.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

@Lars I have the same problem and noticed you never reached a resolution with @sunspots .

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 with Touchbar running Catalina Public Beta 7 and when I invoke the QR scanner it is simply not "seeing" the code. I needed to use the iPhone version on iOS13 to scan the QR codes off the screen of the laptop. But that big square that comes up to scan the QR code using only the MacBook Pro is a non-starter for me.

The button in the bottom right will turn on the screen cam in the laptop, but that is of no use.

What am I doing wrong? Or have I uncovered a bug in 1P in its compatibility with Catalina?

• Hi @FogCityNative

I'm not seeing any issues filed on that. Are you running the beta of 1Password for Mac? I'd recommend checking that out. We have a category on this forum dedicated to the 1Password for Mac beta.

Mac Beta — 1Password Forum

Ben

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

@Ben

Just sent you an e-mail bug report and diagnostics. Yes, I am beta everywhere OS X Catalina Public Beta 7 and you latest beta.

I did not post it to the Beta Forum.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll take a look and continue the conversation via email. :)

ref: JSD-31855-891

This discussion has been closed.