Switch from 1Password6 (Mac) to Membership and back possible?

Now I own a Lifetime-licence from 1PW 6. I bought a 1-year-mebership for testing. How could I switch back after the your, if it is not successful? I also use iOS 12.2 an 1PW 7.3. The Sync works via iCloud.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @alfredagilebitsmuste!

Yes, it is possible to switch back to a standalone version if you wish to go back. I suppose that, during the testing phase, you are going to use the latest 1Password 7 app on your devices rather than version 6, so if you decide to go back at the end of the trial, you will have to move your items back into your Primary vault, and install the older 1Password 6 app, to which you can apply your lifetime license again.

• Thanks. And is it still possible to switch back to 1PW_7 as lifetime license? Some times ago there was an offer to all existing Customers.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@alfredagilebitsmuste - standalone licenses are indeed available for 1Password 7 for Mac. They're right now discounted from the retail price of $64.99 to the current price of $49.99 (over 23% off!)...but I can't say for how much longer that will be the case. If you meant something other than that, can you elaborate? Thanks.

• XIIIXIII

It might be nitpicking, but I thought there were no lifetime licenses?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@XIII - it depends what's meant by "lifetime." One of my own pet peeves is the seemingly-ubiquitous software industry usage of the term "perpetual license," precisely because it gives the impression to some people that they can pay one time, and get new versions free forever. That's not what the intent of "perpetual" is...but it's an imprecise term. I assume the use of "lifetime" falls into this category as well, potentially.

For the record, there has never been and almost certainly will never be any way to pay once for 1Password and continue receiving free upgrades for life. To make that work, we'd have to rely on only new users for continuing revenue, as the ever-growing list of existing users would get not just free upgrades but free support for "life." That's just not a sustainable business model, and we'd likely have to charge hundreds of dollars just to even have a shot at making the math work.

What we HAVE offered for many years is licenses for individual versions of 1Password, on individual platforms. These licenses are "lifetime" or "perpetual" in the sense that they never expire: a holder of such a license can use it forever - literally - to license the version for which it was purchased. We provide a version history server where users can download any older version of any release we've ever offered. Literally. So as long as you still have your license key (or file) and you still have compatible hardware and OS from the era when that version of 1Password was current, you can grab a fresh copy and install it again, any time you like.

What that setup does not offer and never has offered, is the ability to license future versions of 1Password with that older license. So, if you have a license from 2010 for 1Password 3 for Mac, you can forever visit the 1Password 3 for Mac product history page, download the final version, install it on your 2009-era iMac running Snow Leopard, and you'll be off to the races -- but what that old 1Password 3 for Mac license does not enable is the ability to authorize/license the current 7.2.5 version of 1Password for Mac on a current model iMac running macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). New versions of 1Password require upgraded licenses for those new versions (or a 1password.com membership, which is a better deal financially and includes ALL of our 1Password apps). In other words: yes, those old licenses are "perpetual" or "lifetime" for the version they were purchased for. Not for current or future versions of 1Password. Hope this helps anyone following along in this thread, but if I can further clarify, just let me know. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file